Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Great The Fall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Great The Fall!

Really? Now he is growing boobs! Sad...

a814d291153ca985cf63faad6a26.jpg

th.jpg
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Really? Now he is growing boobs! Sad...
    Why is that sad?
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      Why is that sad?

Because men should be men and women women. Especially a man who won the Decathlon!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Because men should be men and women women. Especially a man who won the Decathlon!
        Why do you care how another person prefers to identify himself? Why should it matter that he won the Decathlon?
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Why do you care how another person prefers to identify himself? Why should it matter that he won the Decathlon?
          well he makes one really ugly chick. That's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            well he makes one really ugly chick. That's for sure.
            I can agree to that, though I'm not sure why seeing an ugly chick would make a person sad.

Comment

I think it's sad that we can't accept who we are, and it's not terribly unusual for somebody to go through the "sex change" thing, only to find out they're still unhappy. Some even want to go back.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I think it's sad that we can't accept who we are, and it's not terribly unusual for somebody to go through the "sex change" thing, only to find out they're still unhappy. Some even want to go back.
                I think Jenner would say that he is finally accepting who he is, and I see no indication that he'll be one of those who regrets his sex change.

Comment

I think Jenner would say that he is finally accepting who he is, and I see no indication that he'll be one of those who regrets his sex change.
                  That's the point -- they do the sex change thing because they think they're "finally accepting who they are", and the notion that YOU don't see any indication that he'll regret it is totally useless. That's like saying "I think that guy can handle alcohol without becoming an alcoholic". On what do you base that?

Source: NCBI

Long-term follow-up of transsexual persons undergoing sex reassignment surgery: cohort study in Sweden.

RESULTS:
                  The overall mortality for sex-reassigned persons was higher during follow-up (aHR 2.8; 95% CI 1.8-4.3) than for controls of the same birth sex, particularly death from suicide (aHR 19.1; 95% CI 5.8-62.9). Sex-reassigned persons also had an increased risk for suicide attempts (aHR 4.9; 95% CI 2.9-8.5) and psychiatric inpatient care (aHR 2.8; 95% CI 2.0-3.9). Comparisons with controls matched on reassigned sex yielded similar results. Female-to-males, but not male-to-females, had a higher risk for criminal convictions than their respective birth sex controls.

CONCLUSIONS:
                  Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

© Copyright Original Source

Source
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I find it odd that body dysmorphia is widely recognized as a disorder, but this particular type of body dysmorphia is not.

Comment

That's the point -- they do the sex change thing because they think they're "finally accepting who they are", and the notion that YOU don't see any indication that he'll regret it is totally useless. That's like saying "I think that guy can handle alcohol without becoming an alcoholic". On what do you base that?
                      The alcohol analogy seems quite a bad one for your point, since the vast majority of people who consume alcohol are not alcoholics, thereby justifying the assumption that a randomly selected person should be able to enjoy alcohol without succumbing to alcoholism. Do you have any studies which show that the majority of gender-reassigned persons regret their sex changes?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        I find it odd that body dysmorphia is widely recognized as a disorder, but this particular type of body dysmorphia is not.
                        I'm an old fart, and a prude. I think what they're searching for is significance, and they think they can find it in "gender reassignment".

I think Pascal said it best - “There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every person, and it can never be filled by any created thing. It can only be filled by God, made known through Jesus Christ.”

Comment

The alcohol analogy seems quite a bad one for your point, since the vast majority of people who consume alcohol are not alcoholics,
                          And the vast majority of people are NOT seeking transgenderism. It's not intended as a precise analogy - just to show that you can't predict the outcome.

thereby justifying the assumption that a randomly selected person should be able to enjoy alcohol without succumbing to alcoholism.
                          There are stats - when one approaches alcohol, one needs to consider the possible tragic outcomes. NOBODY takes a first drink and says "I think I'll become an alcoholic today!"

Do you have any studies which show that the majority of gender-reassigned persons regret their sex changes?
                          Do I HAVE to show that the MAJORITY regret it, for it to be tragic for ONE person to regret it? Does it somehow make it LESS tragic for that one person if it's a SMALL number of people? We're not talking about painting each other's toenails here, or dying our hair purple, or getting a tattoo....

Comment

I think part of the problem is that they somehow have it in their head that if they become the opposite sex they will live a life of that opposite sex and everything will be wonderful. But in reality they mostly end up alone. Heterosexuals don't want to date or have sex with a transexual, thinking "she is a dude!" for example. And even gays won't want to have intimate relationships with them. Thinking the same thing, "He is not really a guy, he is a girl"

That kind of rejection can cause suicidal tendencies as they realize their fantasy doesn't live up to reality.

Comment

Do I HAVE to show that the MAJORITY regret it, for it to be tragic for ONE person to regret it? Does it somehow make it LESS tragic for that one person if it's a SMALL number of people? We're not talking about painting each other's toenails here, or dying our hair purple, or getting a tattoo....
                              When a person regrets his or her sex change, I agree that it is tragic. When you are attempting to say that Bruce Jenner's specific sex change is tragic based on the assumption that he'll regret it, you'll need to provide a little more justification than the fact that some people regret their sex changes.

Comment