Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Great The Fall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    I don't believe it ought to be done, especially considering that Christmas by definition is a holiday with Christian roots and significance.
    Cool. Well, that's an area where Political Correctness has been working overtime. Even many corporations are trying to get rid of "Christmas Parties" in favor of "holiday parties", when it's the "Christmas Season" around which all this occurs.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cow Poke jogged my memory of the incident, so I direct you to this Christmas Day tweet from Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world. Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642

Apparently quite a few Christians said they found this offensive (I guess on the basis that it's subversive and blasphemous to Christ). But Jesus in all likelihood wasn't born on December 25th, which alone renders the complaint moot.
      OK, so what's the upshot of this? What changes to society are being made because of this? What things or expressions are being banned or altered?

It's not unusual for somebody to come up with a wacky idea, or for a group of people to think an idea is wacky.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Cool. Well, that's an area where Political Correctness has been working overtime. Even many corporations are trying to get rid of "Christmas Parties" in favor of "holiday parties", when it's the "Christmas Season" around which all this occurs.
        Hmm, but that doesn't really seem like the same thing. Christmas songs that mention Jesus are by definition written with the Christian roots of Christmas in mind, so it makes no sense to get rid of it. "Christmas office parties" are just parties thrown during the time that Christmas is celebrated and likely include plenty of people who don't celebrate Christmas.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Hmm, but that doesn't really seem like the same thing. Christmas songs that mention Jesus are by definition written with the Christian roots of Christmas in mind, so it makes no sense to get rid of it. "Christmas office parties" are just parties thrown during the time that Christmas is celebrated and likely include plenty of people who don't celebrate Christmas.
          I don't think you really grasp what political correctness is all about, or how it works.

Comment

I don't see "political correctness" as a useful term because its meaning varies so much based on who uses it. Some people use it to refer to excesses such as those pointed out here; other people just see it as basic politeness. I do think the former meaning is more common though.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I don't think you really grasp what political correctness is all about, or how it works.
              Well, technically speaking, unless the office specifically celebrates Christmas with all its religious traditions (which would be strange and perhaps exclusive to workers who don't celebrate Christmas), those events are not actually Christmas parties per se, but rather parties that happen to fall during Christmas time. So if nothing else, calling them Christmas parties is inaccurate. They technically are just holiday parties.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment