Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Inclusive Language Tyranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Studies consistently show that people with white-sounding names get more call-backs on job applications. Let's not pretend problems no longer exist.
    Affirmative Action and quotas...

And their own CULTURE that holds non-whites and non-orientals back (ESPECIALLY blacks).

That aspect will be NEVER be solved until the cultural issues are dealt WITHIN THEIR OWN CULTURE.

And this is impeded by black "leaders" and white guilt racists (like yourself?) who are pandering to a renegade culture.

I've taught college for 24 years, and for the most part black students from a "black" culture (not refined educated two-parent family blacks) have atrocious writing and math skills and a poor work ethic.

You can call me "racist" if it makes you feel better, but that's the TRUTH.

K54

P.S. BTW, the good work ethic blacks have almost ALWAYS gotten good jobs or admission to medical or law schools.

Comment

Here's an example from my own life.

When I was younger (junior high, high school to a bit lesser degree), I was a pathetic kid. I was whiny and was absurdly quick to infer offense where none was intended, ever. As a result, I had relatively few friendships and the ones I did have were kind of awkward, purely as a result of my own childishness. Eventually, I grew out of it, and quit seeing offense in every other sentence spoken to me. As a result, I have more and better friendships.

When I was going through that stage, I didn't need people to be sensitive to my feelings and tiptoe around me; I needed to grow up.

I have a natural inclination to see offense where none is intended, and--speaking for myself, and from my own life--it is not a good thing. The more I can get over it, the better my relationships and interaction become. Take from that what you will.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        In other words, why does my sensitivity not matter? I would, in fact, be offended if, for example, I asked somebody where they were from and they became offended at my latent racism. My intent was by no means racist, and I was simply trying to be friendly, yet this person instantly assumed racist motives on my part. That's offensive.

However, I would then realize that I don't have to be offended by something like that, and I would do my best to get over it.
        In regard to that specific example, I think you're misrepresenting it. I believe the issue is more like this apparently common scenario:

Asian person: *says something in perfect English
        White person: Where are you from?
        Asian person: I'm from [insert American city/state here].
        White person: No, where are you REALLY from?

As evidenced by the fact that the Asian person speaks perfect English and specifically provided an American city/state, it should be clear that the Asian person is from America. He/she was born and raised in this country, just like you. Asking "where are you REALLY from," rather than simply "where are you from," is thus seen as problematic because, well, why would you need to ask it again with that qualifier? The Asian person already gave you the specific answer. The white person's response implies that the American city/state--the actual truth--is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, that what matters more is what country the Asian person's ancestors came from, rather than where the Asian person actually lives. When a white person is asked "where are you from," there's never the follow-up "No, where are you REALLY from? England? France? Italy?" Nor are black people later asked "Where are you REALLY from? Nigeria? Ethiopia? Kenya?" Asian people for some reason are more likely to be seen as not fully American as white Americans or African-Americans.

So yeah, no one's going to feel annoyed if you simply ask "Where are you from?" On its own, the "No, where are you REALLY from?" question isn't that bad, and Asians could certainly "just get over it," but do you see how it could get really annoying and naturally prime some people to suspect racist motives if it keeps happening?
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          Affirmative Action and quotas...

And their own CULTURE that holds non-whites and non-orientals back (ESPECIALLY blacks).

That aspect will be NEVER be solved until the cultural issues are dealt WITHIN THEIR OWN CULTURE.

And this is impeded by black "leaders" and white guilt racists (like yourself?) who are pandering to a renegade culture.

I've taught college for 24 years, and for the most part black students from a "black" culture (not refined educated two-parent family blacks) have atrocious writing and math skills and a poor work ethic.

You can call me "racist" if it makes you feel better, but that's the TRUTH.

K54

P.S. BTW, the good work ethic blacks have almost ALWAYS gotten good jobs or admission to medical or law schools.
          If you want a productive conversation, try not calling me a racist first.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
            In regard to that specific example, I think you're misrepresenting it. I believe the issue is more like this apparently common scenario:

Asian person: *says something in perfect English
            White person: Where are you from?
            Asian person: I'm from [insert American city/state here].
            White person: No, where are you REALLY from?

As evidenced by the fact that the Asian person speaks perfect English and specifically provided an American city/state, it should be clear that the Asian person is from America. He/she was born and raised in this country, just like you. Asking "where are you REALLY from," rather than simply "where are you from," is thus seen as problematic because, well, why would you need to ask it again with that qualifier? The Asian person already gave you the specific answer. The white person's response implies that the American city/state--the actual truth--is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, that what matters more is what country the Asian person's ancestors came from, rather than where the Asian person actually lives. When a white person is asked "where are you from," there's never the follow-up "No, where are you REALLY from? England? France? Italy?" Nor are black people later asked "Where are you REALLY from? Nigeria? Ethiopia? Kenya?" Asian people for some reason are more likely to be seen as not fully American as white Americans or African-Americans.

So yeah, no one's going to feel annoyed if you simply ask "Where are you from?" On its own, the "No, where are you REALLY from?" question isn't that bad, and Asians could certainly "just get over it," but do you see how it could get really annoying and naturally prime some people to suspect racist motives if it keeps happening?
            See the microaggression document linked on page two of this thread. "Where are you from" (not "Where are you REALLY from") is explicitly cited as a microaggression.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post

You would have a valid point if institutional racism weren't a big factor in creating the differences you're blaming on people of color.

Comment

See the microaggression document linked on page two of this thread. "Where are you from" (not "Where are you REALLY from") is explicitly cited as a microaggression.
                This is a prime example of how you can't win.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This is a prime example of how you can't win.
                  I'm not sure what you mean here.

Comment

Trust me, that's just an instance of the author oversimplifying the actual phrase. No Asian-American would feel offended merely by hearing "Where are you from?" in the opening to a conversation.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean here.
                      "Where are you from" was given as an example of an innocuous, acceptable question, but the document you linked paints it as a microaggression. It's like a no-win situation; anything you say is going to be dinged somehow.

Comment

"Where are you from" was given as an example of an innocuous, acceptable question, but the document you linked paints it as a microaggression. It's like a no-win situation; anything you say is going to be dinged somehow.
                        Oh, yeah...that was my thought as well.

Comment

yep. like if you mention someone's race in a comment, then you are a racist. If you don't mention someone's race then you are denying them their culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            yeah right. what does he have? garbage picking rights over black homeless people?

Look sea, if you feel guilty over being white, then by all means, go take a job working at what you would consider a "people of color" job and give away all of your possessions to some minority family. That should make you feel better.

Me? I see everyone as being equal. I don't treat "people of color" as inferior to me. I know there are white people and people of other races higher and lower on the social ladder than I am, and I am fine with that. I expect everyone to work to improve themselves and their positions in life if they want to move up the ladder. Not to expect it to be handed to them because they want to make white people feel guilty.
                            I've long since seen enough evidence indicating that Sparko won't care about actual responses, but if anyone does care, the problem with the quoted post is that it's false in practice. Everyone is equal in inherent human worth, yes, but society does NOT in fact view and treat everyone equally. Acting as if people are all being treated equally when they're not is problematic. Everyone can work to improve themselves and their positions in life, but the fact of the matter is that some people face more obstacles and challenges than others, and these usually tend to be skewed along lines of characteristics like race and sex. Equality entails removing unfairly imposed obstacles to ensure that all people, regardless of race and sex, have equally clear paths and opportunities to improve and attain success.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                              I've long since seen enough evidence indicating that Sparko won't care about actual responses, but if anyone does care, the problem with the quoted post is that it's false in practice. Everyone is equal in inherent human worth, yes, but society does NOT in fact view and treat everyone equally. Acting as if people are all being treated equally when they're not is problematic. Everyone can work to improve themselves and their positions in life, but the fact of the matter is that some people face more obstacles and challenges than others, and these usually tend to be skewed along lines of characteristics like race and sex. Equality entails removing unfairly imposed obstacles to ensure that all people, regardless of race and sex, have equally clear paths and opportunities to improve and attain success.
                              They all have the equality of the law, sp. No, not everyone is as smart as everyone else, or as athletic, or as skilled, and only a racist like yourself would claim it depends on race and sex. The number of "barriers" to various positions is as numerous as the human race.

We all have to work within our limitations. Whether it be intelligence, health, race, sex, location, etc. But going around claiming that white people have special privilege is BS. In fact, it is racist.

Comment

As I figured. I and others have provided specific evidence of cases in which race itself is a factor providing some individuals unfairly conferred benefits over others (i.e. "special privilege") and the only response is to ignore them and insist on same vague claptrap like "We all have to work within our limitations. Whether it be intelligence, health, race, sex, location, etc."

And I can't help but point out the irony of klaus54--you spend so much time ripping on YECs for denying a well-supported phenomenon, yet you deny the existence of a well-supported phenomenon yourself.

Comment