Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Inclusive Language Tyranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely empathize with Zymologist's concern. I have in mind one person in particular who likes to complain that nobody is willing to talk about race... yet this person will jump down the throat of anybody who misses the slightest nuance or uses a word or phrase incorrectly. It should be no surprise to them that people are unwilling to have these discussions.

In general my rule of thumb is "be polite" and "use common sense" and I think any reasonable person will think you're doing fine. You won't please everybody.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Liberals sure don't seem to mind calling Christians who disagree with them, "homophobes," "intolerant fundamentalists" and "gay bashers"
      That's intended to be rude.

The goal here is to not be ignorant about the effects of words. It's like gun safety: you might still hit things, but you learn to control where those bullets go.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I definitely empathize with Zymologist's concern. I have in mind one person in particular who likes to complain that nobody is willing to talk about race... yet this person will jump down the throat of anybody who misses the slightest nuance or uses a word or phrase incorrectly. It should be no surprise to them that people are unwilling to have these discussions.
        Oh yeah. It definitely helps to have a rapport where you can say, "Um, that's really not the best way to phrase that" and get a "Oh, I see" in response without either side getting too worked up about it.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
          The point of that Microaggressions PDF is to highlight some mundane things that seem inoffensive to you actually function as constant reminders of white superiority to people of color. You could listen and learn instead of being broadly dismissive.
          Just using a term like "people of color" is a constant reminder that whites are somehow different. Isn't white a color? The very people who whine about whites separating themselves from other races do it themselves all the time, don't they?

Comment

Just using a term like "people of color" is a constant reminder that whites are somehow different. Isn't white a color? The very people who whine about whites separating themselves from other races do it themselves all the time, don't they?
            Whites still get special treatment from themselves and most others. It may not be a natural distinction but it's important to recognize the racial privilege whites have over everyone else in order to dismantle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              This line of thinking baffles me. Most people in real life are decent enough to at least apologize if they unintentionally hurt someone. You're basically saying that you did nothing wrong and you shouldn't have to be bothered even if you did.
              How does one know if one unintentionally hurts someone?

K54

Comment

Whites still get special treatment from themselves and most others. It may not be a natural distinction but it's important to recognize the racial privilege whites have over everyone else in order to dismantle it.
                Examples please.

Ever heard of Affirmative Action and quotas?

Geesh, this is 2015 not 1955.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]

Examples please.

Ever heard of Affirmative Action and quotas?

Geesh, this is 2015 not 1955.

K54
                  Studies consistently show that people with white-sounding names get more call-backs on job applications. Let's not pretend problems no longer exist.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

yeah I have such privilege over everyone else. Like the black president of the USA. He bows to my white privilege all the time.

I am sure this white guy has all sorts of privilege over others:

stock-footage-mossow-september-homeless-man-sleeping-on-the-bus-stop-on-september-in-moscow-russ.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                      Examples please.
                      http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/0...nces-for-hire/

"Among those with no criminal record, white applicants were more than twice as likely to receive a callback relative to equally qualified black applicants. Even more troubling, whites with a felony conviction fared just as well, if not better, than a black applicant with a clean background."

Plus, the stuff in that Microaggressions PDF linked a page back. Those are things that seem like no big deal to white people because they don't see an annoying pattern of, e.g: being told they're a "credit to their race", being complimented on their first language: English, or having strangers ask to touch their hair.

Comment

I am sure this white guy has all sorts of privilege over others
                        Yes, he does. He has privilege over a black man in a similar situation.

Comment

The point of that Microaggressions PDF is to highlight some mundane things that seem inoffensive to you actually function as constant reminders of white superiority to people of color. You could listen and learn instead of being broadly dismissive.
                          Ok, but you appear to be broadly dismissive of my concern, which is that my natural response to all this is to simply talk less and not engage people at all. Apparently this is an acceptable outcome.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

If there was a black man who was equally as poor as that white man and wore tattered clothes and had a haggard look and lived on a dirty street just like him, the police would be far more likely to apprehend the black man, or society would be far more likely to believe that the white man is poor due to misfortune while deciding that the black man is poor due to laziness.

Having privilege isn't something that one should feel ashamed or guilty about; to the contrary, the proper response ought to be simple humility and honesty. I don't have any problem admitting that as a male, I've benefited and/or avoided negative effects compared to women. And though I'm not white, Asians are relatively racially privileged compared to black people and other folks with dark skin, so I also in a sense have a degree of privilege in that if an Asian person commits some heinous crime, my entire race won't be slandered for it.
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Yes, he does. He has privilege over a black man in a similar situation.
                              yeah right. what does he have? garbage picking rights over black homeless people?

Look sea, if you feel guilty over being white, then by all means, go take a job working at what you would consider a "people of color" job and give away all of your possessions to some minority family. That should make you feel better.

Me? I see everyone as being equal. I don't treat "people of color" as inferior to me. I know there are white people and people of other races higher and lower on the social ladder than I am, and I am fine with that. I expect everyone to work to improve themselves and their positions in life if they want to move up the ladder. Not to expect it to be handed to them because they want to make white people feel guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                Ok, but you appear to be broadly dismissive of my concern, which is that my natural response to all this is to simply talk less and not engage people at all. Apparently this is an acceptable outcome.
                                In other words, why does my sensitivity not matter? I would, in fact, be offended if, for example, I asked somebody where they were from and they became offended at my latent racism. My intent was by no means racist, and I was simply trying to be friendly, yet this person instantly assumed racist motives on my part. That's offensive.

However, I would then realize that I don't have to be offended by something like that, and I would do my best to get over it.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment