Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Inclusive Language Tyranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inclusive Language Tyranny?

So much for academic freedom!

‘Inclusive Language Campaign’ debuts at University of Michigan

Dozens of posters plastered across the University of Michigan caution students not to say things that might hurt others’ feelings, part of a new “Inclusive Language Campaign” at the state’s flagship public university that cost $16,000 to implement.

Words declared unacceptable through the campaign include “crazy,” “insane,” “retarded,” “gay,” “tranny,” “gypped,” “illegal alien,” “fag,” “ghetto” and “raghead.” Phrases such as “I want to die” and “that test raped me” are also verboten.

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald told The College Fix in an email the campaign aims to “address campus climate by helping individuals understand that their words can impact someone and to encourage individuals to commit to creating a positive campus community.”ILCinside

Students have been asked to sign a pledge to “use inclusive language” and to help their peers “understand the importance of using inclusive language,” according to campaign materials.

Though only in existence for one semester, the Inclusive Language Campaign has maintained a strong presence throughout the university. Students roaming the campus frequently encounter posters of all sizes reminding them: “YOUR WORDS MATTER,” and asking questions such as: “If you knew that I grew up in poverty, would you still call things ‘ghetto’ and ‘ratchet’?”
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Is it really tyranny if it's entirely voluntary?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I wouldn't call it tyranny, but if it were "entirely voluntary", there wouldn't be any warning posters. Social shaming has an effect, and the control of language is a way to control thought. And thus, politics. Personally, I avoid using any slurs in favor of more linguistic accuracy, yet this campaign(and its origins in social media) worries me. There are people who want to make this sort of speech a form of 'hate crime', and the more it's seen as a legitimate form of social control, the more likely that is to happen. If this language is, in fact, wrong and should not be used, then that should happen as part of the natural evolution of language without implied threats or coercion.

Comment

I guess there's a bright side:
        https://www.facebook.com/ilc.um/phot...669244/?type=1

"Looks like it's so popular there's no room to stand!"

Comment

Quite Frankly, some of the words that are being asked to refrain from use are bizarre. Ghetto and Illegal Alien come to mind, they aren't derogatory when used to describe where one grew up, or how they came to another country. Quite frankly, the campaign itself appears crazy and insane. This is what happens when you begin to censor freedom of speech, without exception to the point where everyone must "feel good." It needs to be left in the hands of the person. I'm not saying that someone should be allowed to run around and yell profanities and obscenities and behave like a prisoner in a confinement cell, Clearly that is also problematic and we should be capable of exercising some common sense. But clearly, it appears that these retarded folks who make up such nonsensical policies grew up without it.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
            I guess there's a bright side:
            https://www.facebook.com/ilc.um/phot...669244/?type=1

"Looks like it's so popular there's no room to stand!"
            I'd show up for the free food.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I assume calling conservative Christians homophobic racist wing-nut bible-thumping Edited by a Moderator is still acceptable though.
              Last edited by Raphael; 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                I assume calling conservative Christians a bunch of racist wing-nut bible-thumping Edited by a Moderator is still acceptable though.
                But of course. We are the ruling elite (or something), so by definition any offense we may take is illegitimate.
                Last edited by Raphael; 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  I'd show up for the free food.
                  Moocher!!!

Comment

But if there is bacon . . .
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

There are a type of people who are complete pharisees about following a list of Social Justice rules and they are willing to absolutely savage anyone who doesn't obey them religiously. I really hate the F-word that's a pejorative for homosexuals but I think I'd prefer to hear teen boys calling each other that in an online game then to have to witness a self-righteous callout by a social justice superhero. Example, that English guy who transgressed by naively using the term "colored" instead of "people of color" and had people lining up around the block to stone him to death to demonstrate how committed they are to the principles they learned on tumblr.
                      "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

That's not tyranny. That's a public service announcement for how not to verbally assault people through careless use of language.

It's not the occasional intentional jerk that's a problem so much as the many who are unaware of what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                          That's not tyranny. That's a public service announcement for how not to verbally assault people through careless use of language.

It's not the occasional intentional jerk that's a problem so much as the many who are unaware of what they're doing.
                          If I am unaware that I am hurting someones feelings, then I am not guilty of this "verbal assault." Aside from that I see the whole thing as silly. We got by for most of the history of the US without such foolishness. People will hurt your feelings, get over it.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            If I am unaware that I am hurting someones feelings, then I am not guilty of this "verbal assault." Aside from that I see the whole thing as silly. We got by for most of the history of the US without such foolishness. People will hurt your feelings, get over it.
                            This line of thinking baffles me. Most people in real life are decent enough to at least apologize if they unintentionally hurt someone. You're basically saying that you did nothing wrong and you shouldn't have to be bothered even if you did.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              This line of thinking baffles me. Most people in real life are decent enough to at least apologize if they unintentionally hurt someone. You're basically saying that you did nothing wrong and you shouldn't have to be bothered even if you did.
                              Can you read? I wrote "If I am unaware." If in a face to face situation I hurt someones feeling, yes, I would apologize. That does not seem to me to apply to the massive overall idea that if people are using ordinary language and someone gets their feelings hurt we must change everything. It is this society wide sort of garbage that I was referring to.

And Sea, if there are "many who are unaware of what they're doing" perhaps the problem is with the perception of the few, not the language of the many.

Comment