Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama absolves Islam, rebukes Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phank View Post
    Imagine if you had the misfortune to be a Muslim in the US. Believe me, you would face bigotry and prejudice, often of the violent persuasion, almost daily.
    Yup we are barraged daily with reports of Muslims being savagely attacked here in the U.S. Oh wait. That is almost nonexistent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Sexy Young Thing?
      Sweet Young Thing. Jed is a leading defender of the myth that mossy isn't as old as time itself when in fact the Big Bang was caused by her falling outta bed. She remembers the day when Adam and Eve were created and immediately told them to get a job and stay off of her lawn.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Yeah poor muslims, someone somewhere is being mean to them. Meanwhile when Muslims are mean to others they just behead or shoot you.
        After the few incidents of Muslim-instigated violence here since 9/11 the reaction of the police more often than not has been to rush to local mosques and protect them from being retaliated upon -- something that hadn't happened.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I think that the problem for may folks is how he is willing to not only bend over backwards but twist himself into a pretzel avoiding saying Islamic extremists were responsible for any of a long list of barbarous acts we continue to witness and goes out of his way to exonerate Islam[1] but seems to have no problem going back up to a millennium to find things to fault Christianity by name for.

And how he can bring up slavery without mentioning how it was in large part if not mostly due to opposition from Christian groups that brought it to an end in the west in contrast to many Muslim controlled areas where it is still being practiced. The double standard was palpable.
          I don't understand why you're saying that. In that video, he directly does go into a number of barbarous acts that Islamic extremists are responsible for. He says that from the school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris violence and terror are perpetuated by "those who profess Islam, but are in fact betraying it". He calls ISIS a brutal vicious death cult committing unspeakable acts of barbarism by terrorizing religious minorities, and subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war. He talks about a rise of anti-semitism and hate crimes in Europe often perpetrated in the name of religion. And then he doesn't directly call out Christianity, he simply states the fact that during the Crusades, people did terrible things "in the name of Christ", and while of course the anti-slavery and Civil Rights movement was Christian led, those who fought for slavery and Jim Crow also did so by misappropriating scripture. He also refers to India and the religious violence there (obviously between Muslim and Hindus). And the reason he brings these points up is because he's trying to bring home his larger message that extremism, no matter its form, is the enemy, not religion. It would be political suicide for him to blame Islam itself for the atrocities committed by its extremist followers.

Again, he's not a Pastor, or any sort of religious official. He's a secularist attempting to come to terms with the fact that people can do terrible things in the name of religion without it being the fault of religion. I'll repeat, I don't really care for the guy one way or the other. I'm not someone who has strong feelings about either side of the political spectrum. I didn't jump into this thread to defend him in general. I don't know enough or care enough to want to defend him. But the claim that he's some sort of monster going after Christians and ignoring Islam in this instance, is really...weird. That's not what he's doing.
          Last edited by Adrift; 02-09-2015, 07:38 AM.

Comment

At the moment I can't view the video to confirm but does he ever once says that Islamic extremists are responsible for those atrocities that he lists? And IIRC his Administration has repeatedly expressed the opinion that ISIS (which they sometimes call ISIL) isn't Islamic. In fact I distinctly remember Obama saying just that before the U.N. last summer. And saying that people did terrible things "in the name of Christ" is not very different than blaming Christianity especially since I don't recall him ever coming close to saying that folks have done terrible things "in the name of Allah" except perhaps when he is asserting that they are not True Muslims™

Comment

At the moment I can't view the video to confirm but does he ever once says that Islamic extremists are responsible for those atrocities that he lists?
              Yes, he says "From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it.", and then he goes right from there to talking about ISIS (which he calls ISIL in the video). The context is very very clear that this is a continuation of the previous though..."professed to stand up for Islam".

And IIRC his Administration has repeatedly expressed the opinion that ISIS (which they sometimes call ISIL) isn't Islamic. In fact I distinctly remember Obama saying just that before the U.N. last summer.
              If that's really the case, then, again, that's very diplomatic. In the same way I would deny the Crusades, the treatment of the native Americans by the Conquistadors, US chattel slavery, the Troubles in N. Ireland, the bombing of abortion clinics, the anti-balaka fighting in the Central African Republic, and the idiots at Westboro Baptist are Christian. Even if they did all claim to be acting in the name of Christ.

And saying that people did terrible things "in the name of Christ" is not very different than blaming Christianity especially since I don't recall him ever coming close to saying that folks have done terrible things "in the name of Allah" except perhaps when he is asserting that they are not True Muslims™
              Again, I don't get why you're saying this, or why you don't understand the larger point he's making. When someone does a horrible thing in the name of Christ, we don't say that what they were doing was Christian. And the whole speech was centered on the atrocities committed in the name of Islam. He literally says that at one point. Of course he's not going to condemn all of Islam for those who would commit evil in the name of Islam. He can't do that.

I honestly think that maybe your reaction to this is tainted by your general dislike of this person. Perhaps he has an overall negative record when it comes to talking about these issues. I don't know enough about the subject to speak authoritatively to that, but in this one particular case, what he's saying isn't that off. Its nothing for Christians to get distressed about. I mean, even the fact that he brought up India (and the obvious Hindu vs. Muslim implication) indicates that he's referring to an issue endemic to religious extremism in general, and not Islam and Christianity specifically.

Comment

Yup we are barraged daily with reports of Muslims being savagely attacked here in the U.S. Oh wait. That is almost nonexistent.
                There is a spectrum of insult ranging from letting someone sit unserved in the restaurant an extra half hour, to psychologal violance. There isn't much physical violence. And indeed we ARE barraged with daily reports of American Muslims suffering slights and insults because they are associated with extremists and presumed to take the side of extremists.

Anyway, what I said stands despite your denial. Muslims in the US aren't as badly mistreated as Christians in Iran, but they are a suspect group in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  If that's really the case, then, again, that's very diplomatic. In the same way I would deny the Crusades, the treatment of the native Americans by the Conquistadors, US chattel slavery, the Troubles in N. Ireland, the bombing of abortion clinics, the anti-balaka fighting in the Central African Republic, and the idiots at Westboro Baptist are Christian. Even if they did all claim to be acting in the name of Christ.
                  I think sometimes that it works the other way around - that people do horrible things because they want to for reasons of personal conviction, however demented. And only THEN do they attach a rationalization for doing it other than "because I felt like it". Religion is usually, but by no means always, the proferred "reason", but it was tacked on after the fact. The truly devout do everything "in the name of Christ", in their view. If they are not religious, the next most common is in the name of politics. Like Rogue, they have demonized the political opposition, such that the most prominent demons simply can't say anything right, and are wrong for saying it even if they don't say it at all.

These bombers, of all faiths, really and truly sincerely believe they are acting as commanded by their god. Those who condemn them are equally sincere in their belief that the same nominal god opposes such behaviors. Do you think they believe in different gods?

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                    There is a spectrum of insult ranging from letting someone sit unserved in the restaurant an extra half hour, to psychologal violance. There isn't much physical violence. And indeed we ARE barraged with daily reports of American Muslims suffering slights and insults because they are associated with extremists and presumed to take the side of extremists.

Anyway, what I said stands despite your denial. Muslims in the US aren't as badly mistreated as Christians in Iran, but they are a suspect group in many ways.
                    So you've backtracked from "often of the violent persuasion" to "psychologal violance" [sic] to being "a suspect group in many ways." Here you probably can use this

It'll help as you move those goalposts.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Yes, he says "From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it.", and then he goes right from there to talking about ISIS (which he calls ISIL in the video). The context is very very clear that this is a continuation of the previous though..."professed to stand up for Islam".

Again, I don't get why you're saying this, or why you don't understand the larger point he's making. When someone does a horrible thing in the name of Christ, we don't say that what they were doing was Christian. And the whole speech was centered on the atrocities committed in the name of Islam. He literally says that at one point. Of course he's not going to condemn all of Islam for those who would commit evil in the name of Islam. He can't do that.

I honestly think that maybe your reaction to this is tainted by your general dislike of this person. Perhaps he has an overall negative record when it comes to talking about these issues. I don't know enough about the subject to speak authoritatively to that, but in this one particular case, what he's saying isn't that off. Its nothing for Christians to get distressed about. I mean, even the fact that he brought up India (and the obvious Hindu vs. Muslim implication) indicates that he's referring to an issue endemic to religious extremism in general, and not Islam and Christianity specifically.
                      I'm going to have to listen to the speech again before I can respond in full but it seems he is talking about folks who committed atrocities a hundred to a thousand years ago "in the name of Christ" and comparing it to what is going on today by folks who aren't actual Muslims. I do not see this as the same and as moral equivalency and excuse making at best

Comment

Perhaps Mr. O should have qualified his comments about Christianity by saying that those who have done atrocities in the name of Christ were/are not really Christians, just like he has said about Muslim terrorists.

But, he didn't do that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          Perhaps Mr. O should have qualified his comments about Christianity by saying that those who have done atrocities in the name of Christ were/are not really Christians, just like he has said about Muslim terrorists.

But, he didn't do that.
                          This is a troublesome double standard indeed. I understand Adrift's point and the fact that he is mediating a balance in representing a pluralistic nation... but that is all the more reason not to put harder standards on one religion (Christianity) than another (Islam).
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What folks have to remember, also, is that the president is responsible for the interests and security of the country. He therefore has a very large and rational incentive, as the previous president before him, to do his absolute best to maintain that military conflicts with these groups are not military contexts against Islam. My old history prof put it well on FB the other day: military conflicts increase religious fervor among the victims. We saw it with al Qaeda, we saw it after 9/11 and, yes, we saw it during the Crusades. If Bush or Obama were to stand at the podium and say even a watered-down version of what a lot of hawkish pundits want them to say -- that we are at war with only radical Islam, that will only help serve to radicalize the religious element on both sides of the conflicts.

While that may make people feel better, it won't do anything to advance the interests or security of the country. Therefore, in addition to being an important reminder of human depravity, regardless of sect, it's just good sense for a president to swear up and down that Islam is practiced peacefully by the vast majority of adherents and we are in no way "at war" with Islam.

--Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

But, he didn't do that.
                              Perhaps his point was precisely to omit it to bring this point home: as conservative Christians rush to exclude those who committed atrocities from being 'real Christians', they should not rush to consider the terrorists 'real Muslims'.

Comment

But, he didn't do that.
                                But he implies it all throughout the speech. He literally uses the phrase "in the name of Christ", not "Christian" or "Christianity". This is a direct correlation to his previous phrasing "those who profess Islam". You almost have to come at the whole video from the frame of mind that you don't like Obama to read it any other way. As a relatively neutral observer, it did not at all occur to me that he was doing something like blaming Christians or Christianity for the Crusades, slavery, and Jim Crow. He was expounding on the fact that all ideologies, misappropriated through sinful behavior, can cause evil.

Comment