Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Five Ways Liberals Ignore Science

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Five Ways Liberals Ignore Science

    The New York Times claims that this insane “presidential vaccine controversy” we’re all taking about raises important questions about “how to approach matters that have been settled among scientists but are not widely accepted by conservatives.”

    Well, here’s another question: How do we deal with the false perception that liberals are more inclined to trust science than conservatives? Or, how do we approach the media’s fondness for focusing on the unscientific views of some conservatives but ignoring the irrational—and oftentimes, more consequential—beliefs of their fellow liberals?

    http://thefederalist.com/2015/02/04/...gnore-science/

  • #2
    Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
    Well, here’s another question: How do we deal with the false perception that liberals are more inclined to trust science than conservatives?
    It's not a false perception.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pinoy View Post

      Well, here’s another question: How do we deal with the false perception that liberals are more inclined to trust science than conservatives?
      We realise that the 'conservative' and the 'liberal' alike are all Liberals.

      Comment


      • #4
        There ware some areas where liberals ignore science, but that article is terrible and not good grounding for a discussion.

        Comment


        • #5
          I would add that being skeptical of medical science in general (and support of "alternative medicine" practices) is predominantly a left-wing phenomenon. The 'right' seems to think that such people are ridiculous for being 'anti-science' in that respect.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joel View Post
            I would add that being skeptical of medical science in general (and support of "alternative medicine" practices) is predominantly a left-wing phenomenon. The 'right' seems to think that such people are ridiculous for being 'anti-science' in that respect.
            Evidence, please. I can't find any studies on this.

            Comment


            • #7
              Just like 'the right wing', the 'left wing' is home to a host of characters from the reasonable and sane to the positively loopy. It is my experience that at least some of the loopy left do tend to go in for alternative unproven medicine. I'm not sure about the loopy right because they scare me and I tend to stay away from them since they usually have guns. It is ridiculous to say that this is somehow representative of 'the left'. Whereas evolution and climate change denial is not restricted to the loony right and is more widely held amongst the 'sane' right.

              I do wish we'd avoid using these absurdly broad categories of left and right to try to make some political point. IMO, it's just lazy thinking.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                Evidence, please. I can't find any studies on this.
                http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...ination-rates/

                Vaccination rates are plummeting at top Hollywood schools, from Malibu to Beverly Hills, from John Thomas Dye to Turning Point, where affluent, educated parents are opting out in shocking numbers (leaving some schools’ immunization rates on par with South Sudan) as an outbreak of potentially fatal WHOOPING COUGH threatens L.A. like “wildfire”
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                  Just like 'the right wing', the 'left wing' is home to a host of characters from the reasonable and sane to the positively loopy. It is my experience that at least some of the loopy left do tend to go in for alternative unproven medicine. I'm not sure about the loopy right because they scare me and I tend to stay away from them since they usually have guns. It is ridiculous to say that this is somehow representative of 'the left'. Whereas evolution and climate change denial is not restricted to the loony right and is more widely held amongst the 'sane' right.
                  The Left thinks human evolution stopped at the neck 50000 years ago. They just control academia so they can pretend they believe in evolution even though they obviously don't.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                  There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A load of nonsense, considering my hyper-liberal sister had none of her children vaccinated.

                    Not to mention its the New York Slime; not good enough for fireplaces.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      Evidence, please. I can't find any studies on this.
                      I don't have a study on this in general. I'm going by my personal experience that every time I've encountered such ideas (in person or online) it has always been from someone of the 'hippy', 'liberal' bent. Often they are also into some kind of alternative religion/spirituality.

                      I can't remember ever encountering this from Republicans/conservatives who generally frown on such 'hippy', 'new age' stuff.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My wife and I are both liberals. We vaccinated all of our children but we did it one vaccine at a time unless multiples were the only ones available. Asserting that not vaccinating is a 'liberal' thing ignores those fundamentalists who consider it to all be a part of the end-times (an especial note to fundamentalist KJV-Onlyists who believe many weird and wonderful things wrt vaccinations.)

                        David Stewart of 'Jesus-is-savior' contends that the Tetanus shoot is about sterilising women. " . . .people like Margaret Sanger, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Ted Turner (and thousands of others) would like to genocide the poor and uncivilized from off the face of the earth (keywords: UNFPA, sterilization, tetanus, genocide, www.blackgenocide.org). God hates population control and abortion! America has abandoned the poor of this world, now we want to exterminate them. . . ."

                        Source: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Belie...g_sensibly.htm
                        "Obama is not a brown-skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away free healthcare. You are thinking of Jesus." Episcopal Bishop of Arizona

                        I remember WinAce. Gone but not forgotten.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kiwimac View Post
                          My wife and I are both liberals. We vaccinated all of our children but we did it one vaccine at a time unless multiples were the only ones available. Asserting that not vaccinating is a 'liberal' thing ignores those fundamentalists who consider it to all be a part of the end-times (an especial note to fundamentalist KJV-Onlyists who believe many weird and wonderful things wrt vaccinations.)

                          David Stewart of 'Jesus-is-savior' contends that the Tetanus shoot is about sterilising women. " . . .people like Margaret Sanger, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Ted Turner (and thousands of others) would like to genocide the poor and uncivilized from off the face of the earth (keywords: UNFPA, sterilization, tetanus, genocide, www.blackgenocide.org). God hates population control and abortion! America has abandoned the poor of this world, now we want to exterminate them. . . ."

                          Source: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Belie...g_sensibly.htm
                          I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone here who agrees with that website....
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            I do wish we'd avoid using these absurdly broad categories of left and right to try to make some political point. IMO, it's just lazy thinking.
                            Left or right of what? Total government control versus anarchy would be one spectrum.
                            . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

                            . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

                            Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Another example of left-wing science-denial to add to the list:
                              Denying that human fertilization produces a new homo sapiens.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by LiconaFan97, Today, 04:56 PM
                              15 responses
                              56 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by Juvenal, Today, 11:08 AM
                              8 responses
                              49 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Juvenal
                              by Juvenal
                               
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Today, 08:52 AM
                              6 responses
                              57 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 10:59 PM
                              11 responses
                              262 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 02:50 PM
                              24 responses
                              152 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X