Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brian Williams admits he lied about being shot down in a helicopter over Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Williams admits he lied about being shot down in a helicopter over Iraq

'Fog of memory' and whatnot.

NBC News is nothing if not a beacon of truth. From their flagship nightly newscasts, to the brilliant Sharpton-based programming offered by MSNBC, they pride themselves on their journalistic integrity. Since that's oh-so-obviously the case, we're assuming they're very embarrassed to find out that they've been lying about their top anchor, Brian Williams, for years.

It seems that Mr. Williams' oft-repeated anecdote about being aboard a Chinook helicopter shot down over Iraq - one that has been repeated over and over since 2003 - was completely false.

http://www.caintv.com/nbcs-brian-williams-admits-he

He even lied in his apology. Saying he was following the shot down helicopter in a different one.

But his helicopter was about an hour behind and not with the shot down group at all.

Williams admitted on air that he was not on the Chinook that was struck by enemy fire, saying he was “instead on a following aircraft” and writing a Facebook apology to soldiers saying “I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG.” But Army flight crews told Stars and Stripes the NBC anchor was actually flying with a different helicopter company altogether — in a different direction, and linked to the attacked unit by radio only.
    http://www.stripes.com/news/us/brian...ident-1.327935

Comment

One does not simply "misremember" being in a helicopter that was shot down by an RPG. He has told this fake story multiple times over the years including on David Letterman and most recently at a New York Rangers and Montreal Canadians hockey game last week so it also wasn't a simple misspeak either.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Will Williams and Hilary get together and swap fake stories about being shot at?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          One does not simply "misremember" being in a helicopter that was shot down by an RPG. He has told this fake story multiple times over the years including on David Letterman and most recently at a New York Rangers and Montreal Canadians hockey game last week so it also wasn't a simple misspeak either.
          It was uh.... False Memory Syndrome!

Yeah, that's the ticket!!!!

Comment

Wonder if someone who knew the facts was pressuring him to come clean...or trying to blackmail him?
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              It was uh.... False Memory Syndrome!

Yeah, that's the ticket!!!!
              The question is, will someone whose biggest asset is arguably his believability and ability to garner trust, have any consequences to pay as a result of this complete and utter fabrication aside from a possible ratings slip? If he had one iota of honor he would have ended his confession with announcement of his resignation.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                Wonder if someone who knew the facts was pressuring him to come clean...or trying to blackmail him?
                Read the article. Basically he just this week told his story again, and soldiers on his facebook page took him to task, and then reported it to the Start and Stripes military newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  The question is, will someone whose biggest asset is arguably his believability and ability to garner trust, have any consequences to pay as a result of this complete and utter fabrication aside from a possible ratings slip? If he had one iota of honor he would have ended his confession with announcement of his resignation.
                  People have short memories. He will apologize and continue on as news anchor, I am betting.

Comment

People have short memories. He will apologize and continue on as news anchor, I am betting.
                    Probably. It is the company that brought Al Sharpton in under their banner.

Comment

Read the article. Basically he just this week told his story again, and soldiers on his facebook page took him to task, and then reported it to the Start and Stripes military newspaper.
                      I wonder if the soldier who was with him (both during the incident and during this last telling of the story) finally had enough and figured that since he was now retiring, and didn't need to fear any sort of retaliation, sent the signal to his comrades who blew the whistle.

Comment

Did he admit he lied? Isn't he just claiming to misremember?

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bria...ws-1201425033/

Variety claims NBC told him to stop telling the story years ago.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/dan-rathe...st-decent-man/

Dan Rather, who got fired for forgery (also known as journalistic integrity among liberals) comes to his defense.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

And to think I had such respect for NBC journalism.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            And to think I had such respect for NBC journalism.
                            Good one dude! I should have swallowed my coke before reading that one!
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Aside from being nowhere near the helicopter that was shot down it is starting to look like his account of spending two harrowing nights in the desert after the downing might also be utter bullocks. Reports are now coming out that he left soon after aboard a helicopter for Kuwait.

Comment