Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

King Abdullah of Jordan looking to personally bomb ISIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    We tried a wide variety of treats. Chicken seemed to work the best, but not to the extent that I could move it over his head and get him to sit. I'm not wrong in this, no matter how much your experience is different. I didn't fail to train the dog to sit, but it took a different method. It doesn't really matter if you consider that leadership or not.
    You're missing the whole point, C. Go back to my first post on this. Even YOU seem to admit that you didn't just sit around watching your dog for that moment when he sat of his own free will, then tried to capitalize on the opportunity. It sounds like you were taking an active role. You used a METHOD.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's the exchange, C, only part of which you quoted....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, it's about Obama's complete inability to make decisions until he sees what everybody else does / wants to do.

He's like the guy that sees his dog sit, and then commands "sit!... good doggie"

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      This is how you train a dog to sit...
      In the overall context, my point was that Obama isn't "training" ANYBODY --- and if it wasn't clear enough, I was trying to say that there are some people who like to LOOK like they're in charge, and the example was a guy seeing a dog do something, THEN command him to do it, as if it were his command that caused it.

Now, if you really sit on your couch waiting for your dog to do a trick, then issue a command to make it appear you actually commanded him to do it, we have a parallel!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        I dunno. I read rogue's comment as sarcastic. He highlighted the unbelievable nature reported for her death.
        Which was why I was analysing the converse, zooming on one of the possibilities: that the report was false and that she didn't die.

Moreover, there's little value in American hostages now. We're not negotiating, and we're not even facilitating ransoms paid by the families anymore.
        For now, sure, but Obama could at anytime pull another Bergdahl-like deal.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          As the last remaining superpower we shouldn't be pulled along like a bull by the nose.
          The taste of your own medicine is a tad bitter, isn't it?

It is, of course, natural for you to wish to retain your position at the top of the totem pole. Who wouldn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            For now, sure, but Obama could at anytime pull another Bergdahl-like deal.
            He's closing Gitmo, regardless of the consequences.

Comment

He's closing Gitmo, regardless of the consequences.
              I actually think it's a good idea to not have it on Cuba - if you have to do the dirty work do it on your own soil - but to release all of them?

Comment

I actually think it's a good idea to not have it on Cuba - if you have to do the dirty work do it on your own soil - but to release all of them?
                I think the whole premise was that having them on US soil subjects them to US law, as opposed to military law, but I've long since lost interest in that. He's releasing them to appease his leftist supporters to whom he made a campaign promise. Why make good on THAT promise when... well... if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor - period!

And, technically, the Marine Base on Cuba IS "our soil".

Comment

I think the whole premise was that having them on US soil subjects them to US law
                  How convenient.

And, technically, the Marine Base on Cuba IS "our soil".
                  Yet US law doesn't apply on it, does it?

Comment

The taste of your own medicine is a tad bitter, isn't it?

It is, of course, natural for you to wish to retain your position at the top of the totem pole. Who wouldn't?
                    I assume that by "taste of your own medicine" you mean the U.S. in general (although I could be wrong). If so, which superpower did we/the U.S. ever pull along like a bull by the nose especially prior to our gaining our superpower status?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How convenient.

Yet US law doesn't apply on it, does it?
                      Um... I believe that was my point --- it's US soil, but it's controlled by UCMJ.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I assume that by "taste of your own medicine" you mean the U.S. in general (although I could be wrong). If so, which superpower did we/the U.S. ever pull along like a bull by the nose especially prior to our gaining our superpower status?
                        "taste of your own medicine" referred to getting pulled along by the nose in general. But go ahead and nitpick if that makes you feel better.

Comment

Um... I believe that was my point --- it's US soil, but it's controlled by UCMJ.
                          Not at all. The land is leased from Cuba.

Comment

Not at all. The land is leased from Cuba.

Even our Embassies and bases in foreign countries are considered "US Soil" - if I RENT an apartment, it is still my "castle" even if I don't OWN it.

Comment

Even our Embassies and bases in foreign countries are considered "US Soil".
                              They may well be treated as "US Soil" in certain aspects, such as ingress, but not in other aspects; it is not US soil.

Comment

They may well be treated as "US Soil" in certain aspects, such as ingress, but not in other aspects; it is not US soil.
                                Well, except for the fact that they are GOVERNED according to US or US Military law, sure, I guess there's no difference at all between them and Syria or Canadistan!

Comment