Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The fines are for breaking a law that demands you to do work you don't want to do.
    When you advertise a product for sale and someone wishes to buy it, you can't just say you don't FEEL like selling it. You advertise it, you sell it. This isn't that hard to grasp.

That's what the specific law is, slavery veiled in progressive BS.
    What, telling the truth is slavery? Well, you will never be a slave in that case!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      You're missing the point. If the law forces you to do something against your will then it is effectively slavery.
      Sending people to prison is effectively slavery?

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
        When you advertise a product for sale and someone wishes to buy it, you can't just say you don't FEEL like selling it. You advertise it, you sell it. This isn't that hard to grasp.
        They never advertised gay wedding cakes. Nor does this have anything to do with the fact that forcing someone to make you a cake is slavery and banned by the constitution.

What, telling the truth is slavery? Well, you will never be a slave in that case!
        Forcing someone to do work they don't want to do and never agreed to do is slavery. It's incredible that you scumbags constantly drone on about racism and jim crow and slavery when the democrat slaveowner spirit still burns brightly in you.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          Sending people to prison is effectively slavery?
          Slavery amendment does not prohibit forced labour as punishment for lawbreaking. It does prohibit making a law forcing people to work, which is what happens here.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

When you advertise a product for sale and someone wishes to buy it, you can't just say you don't FEEL like selling it.
            Why, in every thread where this comes up, do I have to keep saying this?

Yes. You can. It's called "Freedom of Association."

Comment

Slavery amendment does not prohibit forced labour as punishment for lawbreaking. It does prohibit making a law forcing people to work, which is what happens here.
              Sending people to prison is the law forcing people to do something against their will, aka slavery, according to Mountain Man. Prison labor has nothing to do with it.

If people want to call this ruling the legalization of slavery, they are using a definition outside of the Constitution, so it is important to understand what definition they are using and what falls under that definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post

Let's assume for a moment it's that simple. How does the state effectively mandate for non-discrimination for even non-contentious issues like race? (Ignoring DE and Epo). Let's say a cafe owner refuses to serve to blacks. What powers does the state legitimately have to address this wrong? Is it a wrong?

Comment

They never advertised gay wedding cakes.
                  If you think wedding cakes have sexual orientations, you need to provide your research.

Nor does this have anything to do with the fact that forcing someone to make you a cake is slavery and banned by the constitution.
                  LOLWUT! LOL! So businessmen selling their products to their customers is banned by the Constitution? Seriously? Are you feeling OK?

Forcing someone to do work they don't want to do and never agreed to do is slavery.
                  NOW you are claiming that bakers don't want to bake. Wow!

The sheer heights of idiocy bigots must climb is impressive.
                  Last edited by phank; 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post

No, you can't. It's called "against the law". Why do you THINK all these people are being found guilty and fined? It's because they broke the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Sending people to prison is the law forcing people to do something against their will, aka slavery, according to Mountain Man. Prison labor has nothing to do with it.

If people want to call this ruling the legalization of slavery, they are using a definition outside of the Constitution, so it is important to understand what definition they are using and what falls under that definition.
                      Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

If you support the ruling in the OP you support slavery, there's no way around it.

Comment

No, that's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that there is a LAW requring businessmen to sell their products to their customers, specifying that they can't decide not to sell to certain customers. Misrepresenting the law doesn't change the law. These people are being found guilty and fined because they broke the law. Even the veriest dunce can see this.

Comment

No, you can't. It's called "against the law". Why do you THINK all these people are being found guilty and fined? It's because they broke the law.
                          Not all laws are valid. This particular law is unconstitutional. The people who passed it had no legal right to do so, slaver.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                            Let's assume for a moment it's that simple. How does the state effectively mandate for non-discrimination for even non-contentious issues like race? (Ignoring DE and Epo). Let's say a cafe owner refuses to serve to blacks. What powers does the state legitimately have to address this wrong? Is it a wrong?
                            it should never be illegal to be a racist, or a bigot or whatever, and that should extend to their business dealings.

there is a local cafe in our small town where the do not like kids. they don't have any signs up saying no kids and no policies about not serving kids.....they just really don't like them in the store, as a result, I refuse to give them my custom regardless of whether or not I have my kids with me.

I think it should be the same with private business. They shouldn't be required to sell to me, and I should not be required to buy from them.

Let the private business owner be an ass. If it known and people disagree with it, they will stop giving them their business. On the otherhand if the general populous supports the business owners prejudices, then legislation is not going to change hearts and minds, instead it is going to foster anger and resentment.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

If you support the ruling in the OP you support slavery, there's no way around it.
                              Oh, shut up. Not even the defendent in these cases mentions slavery, which is completely irrelevant. Businessmen producing the products they sell are hardly being forced into involuntary servitude, they are DOING BUSINESS. Selling products as advertised to customers. You will notice that there are tens of thousands of bakers, and only the bigots who violate the law have any problem. None of them are slaves, but some of them, like you, are flat whacko.

Comment

No, that's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that there is a LAW requring businessmen to sell their products to their customers, specifying that they can't decide not to sell to certain customers.
                                The products don't come out of thin air idiot, they have to make them, and wedding cakes are custom made. The law requires them to make a cake for someone. Since they don't want to do that, the law forces them to make a cake for someone. That's forced labor.

Misrepresenting the law doesn't change the law. These people are being found guilty and fined because they broke the law. Even the veriest dunce can see this.
                                Nobody is claiming they didn't break the law you illiterate cretin. We are claiming the law is unconstitutional because the state does not have the legal right to pass a law forcing people to work. You keep shouting "dey broke da law" like that's the issue when it isn't.

Comment