Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woman receives medal for reporting sexism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    That decent treatment of humans in any institution is not the norm is certainly not support that others should also be subjected to the same treatment. On the contrary, you should be decrying such treatment regardless of who the recipient is.
    I do decry it when legitimate, actual mistreatment occurs. This is not an instance of mistreatment. This is a comedy video someone was upset by.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Let's not pretend the cases are the same. Men aren't being raped at the same rate as women (see http://time.com/3618348/pentagon-sex...ault-military/ for exact statistics). Frankly, what you're saying implies women should just have to deal with the issue of rape ("the crappy part"), and that's reprehensible.
      The military also has a better reporting system than the civilian world does too KG, with better access to helping those who are victims of sexual assault and/or rape. That could easily explain the higher reporting rates vs the civilian world.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        *checks that this is not the fraternity* I agree with KG on the culture issue. Unfortunately, the military has been seen as raunchy and unfriendly to females.
        I think it depends on the context myself DB. I've heard similar things before, but I've also heard women who can get pretty raunchy myself. I tend to avoid all raunchyness and it mostly avoids me.

As one who had to go through the insufferable "Prevention of Sexual Harrassment" program when it was ramped up after the Tailhook incident, I've concluded that what's really needed is people to mind their manners. Obviously that's something that must start at home.
        Men don't have a monopoly on the raunchy talk. I've heard some woman who could be far worse than the men.

However, giving the lady a medal is overmuch.
        Yeah, it is.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          For people reading this thread with military experience, can you think of any medals that could be earned with a similar amount of effort?
          The National Defense Service Medal has been given out to anybody who joins the military, during a 'national emergency' (which the Global War on Terrorism is still currently going on, so everybody currently serving has one). Medals though, have ranks of importance, with a Service Commendation Medal ranking higher up on the list vs the National Defense Service Medal. In short, Medals are ranked by importance. With the Medal of Honor (insert service here) having the highest rank and other ones ranking below that (such as the National Defense Service Medal or a Service Commendation Medal, which actually is the lowest medal that is counted for promotions).
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            I think it depends on the context myself DB. I've heard similar things before, but I've also heard women who can get pretty raunchy myself. I tend to avoid all raunchyness and it mostly avoids me.

Men don't have a monopoly on the raunchy talk. I've heard some woman who could be far worse than the men.

Yeah, it is.
            Since I've never been IN the military, I'll defer to your experience there. Working in the federal civilian service, I did indeed know some females that would make a male blush. And like you, I do avoid that sort of talk.

But sitting through all those green/yellow/red light videos and such had moved me to conclude we failed in a basic job at home - respecting other people. KG is right that anybody who claims to be Christian has a responsibility to police their behavior (including their mouths).

We can't control how unbelievers behave....but we can influence the environment.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Since I've never been IN the military, I'll defer to your experience there. Working in the federal civilian service, I did indeed know some females that would make a male blush. And like you, I do avoid that sort of talk.

But sitting through all those green/yellow/red light videos and such had moved me to conclude we failed in a basic job at home - respecting other people. KG is right that anybody who claims to be Christian has a responsibility to police their behavior (including their mouths).

We can't control how unbelievers behave....but we can influence the environment.
              I don't say cuss words, at work or at home. If you need to use a string of 4 letter words, you likely had nothing worth saying anyway. Amazingly enough, your own talk can affect the talk going on around you. If you don't act and/or talk that way, people may make the effort not to talk that way too. Not all do, but I find that as a better alternative than running to MEO every chance I get since I prefer behavior changes done by people's own free will vs forced down upon them.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The National Defense Service Medal has been given out to anybody who joins the military, during a 'national emergency' (which the Global War on Terrorism is still currently going on, so everybody currently serving has one). Medals though, have ranks of importance, with a Service Commendation Medal ranking higher up on the list vs the National Defense Service Medal. In short, Medals are ranked by importance. With the Medal of Honor (insert service here) having the highest rank and other ones ranking below that (such as the National Defense Service Medal or a Service Commendation Medal, which actually is the lowest medal that is counted for promotions).
                Thanks for the insight. As a civilian, I have no idea how difficult most medals are to get or what sort of acts can earn someone most medals. While the knee-jerk reaction in some people is "she hardly did anything". who's to say whether she really deserves the medal but people familiar with military decoration?

Comment

Thanks for the insight. As a civilian, I have no idea how difficult most medals are to get or what sort of acts can earn someone most medals. While the knee-jerk reaction in some people is "she hardly did anything". who's to say whether she really deserves the medal but people familiar with military decoration?
                  Some medals don't mean too much, while others mean quite a bit. A Service Commendation Medal actually ranks kind of low on the list and are often handed out like candy, but are the lowest ones that 'count' for something.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Not to derail...but. .. I've received two Meritorious Unit Citations, one for my service during the Cold War, and the other for service during the Persian Gulf war. They're group citations similar to service medals the military receive for service during wartime no matter what they were doing or where they actually served. Any meaning they have depends on how one looks at it. I don't find my first MUC very meaningful, but I sure to appreciate the second, because we WERE very involved in supporting that war.

Same here, I guess. Any significance for this medal is pretty much up to her.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Not to derail...but. .. I've received two Meritorious Unit Citations, one for my service during the Cold War, and the other for service during the Persian Gulf war. They're group citations similar to service medals the military receive for service during wartime no matter what they were doing or where they actually served. Any meaning they have depends on how one looks at it. I don't find my first MUC very meaningful, but I sure to appreciate the second, because we WERE very involved in supporting that war.

Same here, I guess. Any significance for this medal is pretty much up to her.
                      I got a few of those myself. You are right though, people tend to attach their own meaning to awards they are given.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The military also has a better reporting system than the civilian world does too KG, with better access to helping those who are victims of sexual assault and/or rape. That could easily explain the higher reporting rates vs the civilian world.
                        I'm not going to argue against somebody who actually was in the military over this, obviously, but I hope this is true. I remember reading a bunch of articles about people who reported and got ignored. I really do hope these are rare exceptions.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Some medals don't mean too much, while others mean quite a bit. A Service Commendation Medal actually ranks kind of low on the list and are often handed out like candy, but are the lowest ones that 'count' for something.
                          Interesting. In my experience (Navy), the Commendation Medal was rarely awarded, with the Achievement Medal somewhat more common. I got the latter twice.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

For people reading this thread with military experience, can you think of any medals that could be earned with a similar amount of effort?
                            The Good Conduct Medal is probably the easiest to earn - just stay out of trouble for 4 years.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I'm not going to argue against somebody who actually was in the military over this, obviously, but I hope this is true. I remember reading a bunch of articles about people who reported and got ignored. I really do hope these are rare exceptions.
                              Well, what kind of report did they file? In the military, there's two different types of reports that can be filed when it comes to sexual assault. There's restricted reporting, which only involved medical and counseling side of the house and an unrestricted report, which involves a criminal investigation as well. The type of report is determined by the victim and who the victim reports the assault to (if you want to learn here is the DoD link that tells you about the program). The question is did these people file a restricted report or an unrestricted report? I seriously doubt that many in the media know enough about the details to ask that critical question, so if you want to know something about how the military actually works... don't always go to the media since few of them actually served and know those type of details.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Interesting. In my experience (Navy), the Commendation Medal was rarely awarded, with the Achievement Medal somewhat more common. I got the latter twice.
                                Oops, I messed that one up. Although I am in the service that gives you a ribbon for basic training (sometimes known as the 'I showed up ribbon').
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment