Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pope Gaycis not even trying anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by phank View Post
    Maybe the pope understands that Christ had open arms for everyone and anyone - gays, whores, Samaritans, everyone. He understands that his god doesn't just reject those some people dislike, but rather seeks those who accept Christ as their savior. Which many gay people do. Christ was not a bigot.
    Yeah Christ valued thieverey, murder, harlotry and homosexuality.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by phank View Post
    Only if doing so is illegal.

Nobody has asked for this, so it's just venting.
    Try harder slaver:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ca...dding-at-their

Leave a comment:

• phank
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The original was also a question. The problem isn't that it's an imperative, but rather that the pope is moving into an anti-Christian direction on the issue and doing so using backhanded tactics like his "just asking questions" method here. And your translations doesn't remove the issue of the question assuming the sexual orientation itself being a positive thing, it just makes it slightly less bad by replacing the objectively bad with gibberish.
    Maybe the pope understands that Christ had open arms for everyone and anyone - gays, whores, Samaritans, everyone. He understands that his god doesn't just reject those some people dislike, but rather seeks those who accept Christ as their savior. Which many gay people do. Christ was not a bigot.

Leave a comment:

• phank
    replied
    No, they just sue you if you don't bake them a wedding cake,
    Only if doing so is illegal.

or host their wedding in your living room.
    Nobody has asked for this, so it's just venting.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
    Whenever I do an article for my blog. IGNORED.
    Whenever I make a video. I tell Holding and Cerebrum about it.
    Even my satire thread is about 1/3 bickering.

I say one dumb thing and people notice me.

Death to this miserable world.
    I watch your stuff... it's pretty good. I just wish there were more episodes of IWBTAVGN.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    Looking at the emboldened parts from your OP, we see that you were concerned about this phrase:
    Source: Relatio post disceptationem (English), P50

Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?

© Copyright Original Source

...which was Cardinal Erdo's translation of this line from the Italian:
    Source: Relatio post disceptationem (Italian), P50

Le nostre comunità sono in grado di esserlo accettando e valutando il loro orientamento sessuale, senza compromettere la dottrina cattolica su famiglia e matrimonio?

Reading the Italian original, I would say that Cardinal Erdo's translation is inaccurate. I would offer that a better translation is, "Is it possible for our communities to be accepting and to evaluate their sexual orientation, without compromising the Catholic teaching on family and marriage?"
    No, it's your translation that's bad. What the heck does that even mean? "To evaluate their sexual orientation"? It makes no sense in context, as was explained in the OP link:

for those ignorant of the Italian language who are once again blaming translations... The translation above is perfect. The verb valutare in Italian has exactly the same meaning as "to value" in English, that is, both neutral (as in to evaluate) and positive, as "to value positively." It is obvious from the context that a positive tone was intended, and the English translators in the Vatican did a perfect job. This time, as also in the previous times, it is not a translation problem.

It was intended as a legitimate question to be answered by the Synod, rather than as an imperative challenge to Catholics to value homosexuality.
    The original was also a question. The problem isn't that it's an imperative, but rather that the pope is moving into an anti-Christian direction on the issue and doing so using backhanded tactics like his "just asking questions" method here. And your translations doesn't remove the issue of the question assuming the sexual orientation itself being a positive thing, it just makes it slightly less bad by replacing the objectively bad with gibberish.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
    Woah there. I wasn't attacking you or anything.

Just in my experience I HAVE encountered people on a personal level who were incredibly hostile to Christianity when it comes to traditional marriage/sexual morals. For example, my ex-girlfriend and I got into a massive fight over that one anti-bullying guest speaker (I can't even bother to remember his name; not worth my time) who trashed Christians during a school auditorium speaking (and when massive parts of the audience walked out, he began heckling THEM). I came to her for support as it was late and instead she fiercely defending him along with several anti-catholic ramblings of hers (being Lutheran I found it humorous that I had to defend the Catholic Church against someone raised in it). Its a major reason we didn't get back together.

If you never encountered that type of people then I'm certainly envious. As for the blog, this isn't exactly the largest of sites and blog communities take years to gain viewers. Keep at it.
    Was it Dan Savage?

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

I've been reading some of your blog, and I do like your video series. Lots of interesting stuff I never knew. I look forward to the next video. I have an idea of several somewhat obscure games you could do for your blog. PM me if you want to know a few.

Leave a comment:

• Boxing Pythagoras
    replied
    There was nothing wrong with the translation, they walked it back in the edited release due to the pushback and then blamed the outrage on a "bad translation".
    Looking at the emboldened parts from your OP, we see that you were concerned about this phrase:
    Source: Relatio post disceptationem (English), P50

Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?

...which was Cardinal Erdo's translation of this line from the Italian:
    Source: Relatio post disceptationem (Italian), P50

Le nostre comunità sono in grado di esserlo accettando e valutando il loro orientamento sessuale, senza compromettere la dottrina cattolica su famiglia e matrimonio?

Reading the Italian original, I would say that Cardinal Erdo's translation is inaccurate. I would offer that a better translation is, "Is it possible for our communities to be accepting and to evaluate their sexual orientation, without compromising the Catholic teaching on family and marriage?" It was intended as a legitimate question to be answered by the Synod, rather than as an imperative challenge to Catholics to value homosexuality.

Leave a comment:

• Knowing Thomas
    replied

Woah there. I wasn't attacking you or anything.

Just in my experience I HAVE encountered people on a personal level who were incredibly hostile to Christianity when it comes to traditional marriage/sexual morals. For example, my ex-girlfriend and I got into a massive fight over that one anti-bullying guest speaker (I can't even bother to remember his name; not worth my time) who trashed Christians during a school auditorium speaking (and when massive parts of the audience walked out, he began heckling THEM). I came to her for support as it was late and instead she fiercely defending him along with several anti-catholic ramblings of hers (being Lutheran I found it humorous that I had to defend the Catholic Church against someone raised in it). Its a major reason we didn't get back together.

If you never encountered that type of people then I'm certainly envious. As for the blog, this isn't exactly the largest of sites and blog communities take years to gain viewers. Keep at it.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied

Cheer up. Life is pretty good really. It's ok to be not very important. Most people like to think they are, but they're not.

Leave a comment:

• DLAbaoaqu
    replied
    Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
    I'm not exactly sure I understand.

Leave a comment:

• Knowing Thomas
    replied
    ...whenever I do something like this do people pay attention to me. Never when I do my own thing.
    I'm not exactly sure I understand.

Leave a comment:

• DLAbaoaqu
    replied
    ...whenever I do something like this do people pay attention to me. Never when I do my own thing.

Seriously, to heck with those who don't appreciate my stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Knowing Thomas
    replied
    No LGBTer ever said I needed to be put down because of what I believe.
    That is until the "tolerant" horde calls you a bible-thumping Nazi-loving wing-nut bigot for believing marriage should be between a man and women and how your church's traditional marital beliefs need to be destroyed under the march of Progress™. How long do you think its going to be until the LGBTXYZLOLBBQ lobby pushes for churches to get labeled as hate groups and/or remove tax exempt status for not providing same sex ceremonies? My reject of a governor said not too long ago that people who oppose his stance on legalizing same sex marriages (in addition to his gun-grabbing and baby killing fetish) are extremists who need to leave the state.

That's a world I refuse to live in. One I will fight against.
    Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 02-02-2015, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment: