Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Lovely Tolerance From The Left...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    which has nothing at all to do with your comment to rumtum above. Talking about burning straw.
    He was responding to my question.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    I've always thought a better policy would be to make sure that Scoutmasters are actually the parent of somebody in the troop. I read some of the leaked files of the cover-up the BSA did over the years and a constant theme in cases was that it seemed to be random volunteers who were abusing boys, not parents.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Yes. Gay scouts are allowed. Gay scoutmasters are not.
    which has nothing at all to do with your comment to rumtum above. Talking about burning straw.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    They changed it to allow gay Scouts, right? I suspect its enforcement was going to be on a troop by troop basis anyway. They also had a rule not to allow atheists (I don't know if they still do) and when I was in it, I knew who some of the atheists in the troop were, but I wasn't going to rat them out.
    Yes. Gay scouts are allowed. Gay scoutmasters are not.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    The actual fuss is about not allowing gay scoutmasters.
    Obviously.

There is no regulation that says a judge can't belong to a religious group, although the scouts are not that. Just because is mentions "God" doesn't make it religious. If that were the case then our money is religious and our country since the motto is "In God we Trust"
    And yet some would make exactly that claim.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    They changed it to allow gay Scouts, right? I suspect its enforcement was going to be on a troop by troop basis anyway. They also had a rule not to allow atheists (I don't know if they still do) and when I was in it, I knew who some of the atheists in the troop were, but I wasn't going to rat them out.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Yay for piles of burning straw. Try looking at the line right above the ones you bolded. Try not pretending like you don't know what the fuss is really about.
    The actual fuss is about not allowing gay scoutmasters. There is no regulation that says a judge can't belong to a religious group, although the scouts are not that. Just because is mentions "God" doesn't make it religious. If that were the case then our money is religious and our country since the motto is "In God we Trust"

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    This is the youth organization that is oh so terrible that a sitting Judge can not have any associtation with it.l

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

oh what a terrible group that wants young men to grow up to morally outstanding helpful Men.
    Yay for piles of burning straw. Try looking at the line right above the ones you bolded. Try not pretending like you don't know what the fuss is really about.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    They are obviously a terrorist para-military group. Just a bunch of survival nuts.
    Their motto is "be prepared", which is a villain song from the Lion King. So like Scar, they promote regicide and fratricide.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    This is the youth organization that is oh so terrible that a sitting Judge can not have any associtation with it.l

oh what a terrible group that wants young men to grow up to morally outstanding helpful Men.
    They are obviously a terrorist para-military group. Just a bunch of survival nuts.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    I didn't mention sexual orientation at all.
    what do you think this thread is about? saying that judges can't belong [youth] organizations that discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Yeah keep shifting those goal posts around.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    "But California was the only state that had made an exception for nonprofit youth organizations."

yeah, of those 21 states that include sexual orientation as discrimination.

PM make it sound like it was general practice for most states to not allow belonging to groups that discriminated based on sexual orientation. That isn't true.
    I didn't mention sexual orientation at all.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Read right below that.
    "But California was the only state that had made an exception for nonprofit youth organizations."

yeah, of those 21 states that include sexual orientation as discrimination.

PM make it sound like it was general practice for most states to not allow belonging to groups that discriminated based on sexual orientation. That isn't true.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    It says that only 21 states have included sexual orientation as a protected class for such discrimination.
    Read right below that.

Leave a comment: