Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Lovely Tolerance From The Left...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    which has nothing at all to do with your comment to rumtum above. Talking about burning straw.
    no he wasn't. He even quoted Rumtum in his post.
    Try again. I quoted RTT in the post to which I responded to RTT. My comments about the scoutmasters were in response to KG, which is who I quoted in that post.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Try again. I quoted RTT in the post to which I responded to RTT. My comments about the scoutmasters were in response to KG, which is who I quoted in that post.
      OK let's start over. You said RumTums post was straw and the fuss was all about the line above her bolded text.
      That line reads "To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;" which means you are saying the fuss is about it being a religious organisation.
      I responded that no, it was because they didn't allow gay scoutmasters.
      KG said they did allow gay members.
      You then reiterated that they didn't allow gay scoutmaster, which is what I said.

That means your initial comment about RumTums post being nothing but straw and that it was about it being a religious organization is straw itself. Because it being a religious organization, which it is not, is not what all the fuss is about. It is about people not liking that they don't allow gay scoutmasters.

clear now?

Comment

OK let's start over. You said RumTums post was straw and the fuss was all about the line above her bolded text.
        That line reads "To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;" which means you are saying the fuss is about it being a religious organisation.
        I responded that no, it was because they didn't allow gay scoutmasters.
        KG said they did allow gay members.
        You then reiterated that they didn't allow gay scoutmaster, which is what I said.

That means your initial comment about RumTums post being nothing but straw and that it was about it being a religious organization is straw itself. Because it being a religious organization, which it is not, is not what all the fuss is about. It is about people not liking that they don't allow gay scoutmasters.

clear now?
        Yep. It's clear that you didn't understand my response to RTT. I didn't say that religious reasons were the only thing the fuss is about. The bolded above is explicitly false. Anyone remotely familiar with this case (which is everyone here) knows full well that the gay discrimination is what is the primary issue. The religious aspect is an additional concern, and if KG's correct about atheists not being allowed then it's a legitimate one.

My response to KG was in response specifically to the question he asked. I've made no strawman.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Comment

Yep. It's clear that you didn't understand my response to RTT. I didn't say that religious reasons were the only thing the fuss is about. The bolded above is explicitly false. Anyone remotely familiar with this case (which is everyone here) knows full well that the gay discrimination is what is the primary issue. The religious aspect is an additional concern, and if KG's correct about atheists not being allowed then it's a legitimate one.

My response to KG was in response specifically to the question he asked. I've made no strawman.
            actually Carri you did not even look at the other part that was bolded where they promise to help others so who's looking at strawmen here? And I know very well what the Intolerant liberal Bullies dislike about the Boy scouts I was pointing out that the Bullies don't care about what the Boy Scouts really stand for they'd rather focus on the views held that they don't like the Boy Scouts for holding and so will bully anyone who supports them thereby showing who the real intolerant people the ones who want you to lock step into their way of thinking or else.
            Last edited by RumTumTugger; 01-30-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              actually Carri you did not even look at the other part that was bolded where they promise to help others so who's looking at strawmen here? And I know very well what the Intolerant liberal Bullies dislike about the Boy scouts I was pointing out that the Bullies don't care about what the Boy Scouts really stand for they'd rather focus on the views held that they don't like the Boy Scouts for holding and so will bully anyone who supports them thereby showing who the real intolerant people the ones who want you to lock step into their way of thinking or else.
              RTT, how would you know if I looked at it? That's a silly thing to say. Of course I looked at it. I understood your point, too. I think it's a false one, and it blatantly ignored what the fuss is about, which is what I said. It's possible to stand for multiple things, after all, and it's possible that people like some of those things but not others. Do you really expect us to believe that these 'intolerant liberal bullies' dislike the parts you pointed out? Do you expect us to believe it's impossible to correct flaws in what is otherwise a good thing? Do you mean to suggest that we should ignore such flaws simply because there are good things there too? I would hope not, on all counts.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

what do you think this thread is about? saying that judges can't belong [youth] organizations that discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Yeah keep shifting those goal posts around.
                What goal posts? You made an assumption based on something I didn't say.

Comment

RTT, how would you know if I looked at it? That's a silly thing to say. Of course I looked at it. I understood your point, too. I think it's a false one, and it blatantly ignored what the fuss is about, which is what I said. It's possible to stand for multiple things, after all, and it's possible that people like some of those things but not others. Do you really expect us to believe that these 'intolerant liberal bullies' dislike the parts you pointed out? Do you expect us to believe it's impossible to correct flaws in what is otherwise a good thing? Do you mean to suggest that we should ignore such flaws simply because there are good things there too? I would hope not, on all counts.
                  No Carri that is not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that you stand up to the Intolerant bullies who would have you believe the Boyscouts are the same as the ku klux klan and neo nazi groups. That is what they are saying here Carri and that is what I'm standing up against bullies who say you do and say and think what we want you to or else. that is what this is about Carri nothing else a group of bullies who want others to think like them or be treated like second class citizens or worse slaves.

Comment

Y'all realize that if judges aren't allowed to be involved in scouting they also cannot be involved with gay rights groups which are inherently discriminatory - unless they allow those with anti-gay positions to not only belong but hold office (in which case they are morons). Sauce works on geese and ganders alike.

All groups are discriminatory at some level. There's no group with no membership qualifications at all - even humanity requires being human (some of y'all have more trouble than others with that ).
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      No Carri that is not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that you stand up to the Intolerant bullies who would have you believe the Boyscouts are the same as the ku klux klan and neo nazi groups. That is what they are saying here Carri and that is what I'm standing up against bullies who say you do and say and think what we want you to or else. that is what this is about Carri nothing else a group of bullies who want others to think like them or be treated like second class citizens or worse slaves.
                      Please, please, show me even a shred of proof to back up these claims. You can't do it, and we both know it. The irony of the second half of this post is that you support laws that also "say you do and say and think what we want you to or else".
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Y'all realize that if judges aren't allowed to be involved in scouting they also cannot be involved with gay rights groups which are inherently discriminatory - unless they allow those with anti-gay positions to not only belong but hold office (in which case they are morons). Sauce works on geese and ganders alike.
                        None of this bothers me, Teal.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        All groups are discriminatory at some level. There's no group with no membership qualifications at all - even humanity requires being human (some of y'all have more trouble than others with that ).
                        This mostly feels like an equivocation of 'discriminatory'. There's nothing wrong with requiring certain qualifications to join a group, nor do I really care if the BSA chooses to exclude people based on certain criteria. When it comes to public servants, though, it's in our own best interest to expect them to conform to certain behaviors. That goes double when the public servant is expected to perform a service where impartiality is a basic requirement. So sure, prevent them from joining pro-gay movements. That's fine with me.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

This mostly feels like an equivocation of 'discriminatory'. There's nothing wrong with requiring certain qualifications to join a group, nor do I really care if the BSA chooses to exclude people based on certain criteria. When it comes to public servants, though, it's in our own best interest to expect them to conform to certain behaviors. That goes double when the public servant is expected to perform a service where impartiality is a basic requirement. So sure, prevent them from joining pro-gay movements. That's fine with me.
                          Yeah bro it's in "our" best interest to make homophilia (IOW, liberalism) a requirement of being a public servant.

The idea that ideological tests for public servants serve "the public's" best interest is absurd. It serves the interest of whoever believes in the value being enforced. It certainly does not serve the interest of anybody else.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment