Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Social Justice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Justice?

What is social justice? I often hear the phrase but can find no definitive definition. It seems to be a catch all term that can encompass just about anything.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-28-2015, 02:22 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I think it centers around (or depends upon) redistribution of wealth. Obama frequently refers to it when he uses the word "fair".

The question is - fair to whom?

(Sorry, Seer - I started to accidentally edit your post instead of my own )
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I would also like to see a definition. I have suspicions as to what it means and entails, but will refrain from posting that.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

"Social justice warrior" is a pejorative term referring to strident far-left Internet personalities.

The concept of "social justice", if not how it's frequently applied, is biblical (Amos 5:24). I don't think this has much of anything to do with redistributing wealth.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Yeah, and Catholic Social Teaching.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              "Social justice warrior" is a pejorative term referring to strident far-left Internet personalities.

The concept of "social justice", if not how it's frequently applied, is biblical (Amos 5:24). I don't think this has much of anything to do with redistributing wealth.
              What does Amos 5:24 have to do with social justice?
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

That section of Amos is dealing with "The Day of the Lord", and simply says "But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!" I don't think that is really related to what "social justice" of today is.

Comment

Trying to justify what I've seen of "social justice" with Amos 5:24 seems like a huge stretch to me. AFAICT, "social justice" as it's practiced today is not actually about justice at all.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    What does Amos 5:24 have to do with social justice?
                    The preceding context of Amos 5:10-15 couldn't be more obvious.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      What is social justice? I often hear the phrase but can find no definitive definition. It seems to be a catch all term that can encompass just about anything.
                      It's a byproduct of egalitarian thinking and an attempt to reconcile two contradicting premises:

1. All men are equal.
                      2. All men are not equal in practice.

1 is egalitarian dogma, meaning it can't be discarded, so people look for the reasons why 2 isn't true, and the more obvious answer is that those who are less equal than others are being oppressed by those who are more equal than others. Social justice is an attempt to redress these wrongs.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Trying to justify what I've seen of "social justice" with Amos 5:24 seems like a huge stretch to me. AFAICT, "social justice" as it's practiced today is not actually about justice at all.
                        I didn't make this clear, but I meant to say that there are forms of social justice that God wants to see; but they may have little to nothing to do with how people actually use the term today. But that's their fault, not God's.

Comment

OK, please help those of us who are blind.

Comment

That looks like just regular justice to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              OK, please help those of us who are blind.
                              It talks about corrupt court systems (verses 10 and 15), oppression of the poor through excessive taxation while the wealthy live in "stone mansions"... these are all social issues. Not the ones that liberals today focus on the most, but social issues nonetheless.

Comment