Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can't let kids walk alone anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't let kids walk alone anymore

It's starting to feel a little bit like Groundhog Day when it comes to parents under attack for letting their children do things on their own.

The latest case? A Silver Spring, Maryland, couple is facing a neglect investigation for letting their 10-year-old son and 6-1/2-year-old daughter walk home from a playground, about a mile from their house, by themselves on a Saturday afternoon in late December.

The story immediately brought to mind the South Carolina mom arrested for letting her 9-year-old daughter play at the park alone while she worked at a McDonald's and a Florida mom arrested after letting her 7-year-old walk to the park alone.

Is it just me or have things suddenly gotten way out of hand when parents are being arrested -- or investigated -- for doing what was considered totally normal and appropriate just a few decades ago?
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/20/living...-under-attack/

Am I the only one who thinks this reaction is totally insane? At 10 years old, I was walking home from the bus, after school, with my younger brother, at that age. Is there anybody else who finds this reaction a little insane?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    It's starting to feel a little bit like Groundhog Day when it comes to parents under attack for letting their children do things on their own.

The latest case? A Silver Spring, Maryland, couple is facing a neglect investigation for letting their 10-year-old son and 6-1/2-year-old daughter walk home from a playground, about a mile from their house, by themselves on a Saturday afternoon in late December.

The story immediately brought to mind the South Carolina mom arrested for letting her 9-year-old daughter play at the park alone while she worked at a McDonald's and a Florida mom arrested after letting her 7-year-old walk to the park alone.

Is it just me or have things suddenly gotten way out of hand when parents are being arrested -- or investigated -- for doing what was considered totally normal and appropriate just a few decades ago?

Am I the only one who thinks this reaction is totally insane? At 10 years old, I was walking home from the bus, after school, with my younger brother, at that age. Is there anybody else who finds this reaction a little insane?
    I used to walk home from school a lot, usually alone and sometime with others back in Elementary.
    So this is pretty dumb.
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Welcome to the world of Montgomery County, MD.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Me, me! Pick me.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” - H.L. Mencken
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I'm not American and I approve that this is crazy. Perhaps with the exception of the 9-year old stuck in a park all day while her mother worked. Though in that case there should be given leeway if it simple wasn't possible for the woman to find anyone to take care of her daughter, or babysit.

Comment

I saw this on the local news. The parents are these very stereotypical hippies that portrayed themselves as such to an almost comical level.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

We used to run around the neighborhood all day long when I was around 6 years old. But then we never were alone, we always were with a group of friends, and we had BB Guns :-)

I think it depends on the neighborhood you live in today. Out in the country kids still just run around and there is no problem. But then people don't even bother to lock their doors there either unless they are going away for a few days. I wouldn't try THAT here in the city. And there seem to be a lot more child abductions and things today in some areas than there were 40 or 50 years ago.

Comment

It's a good thing statutes of limitations exist because otherwise most of our parents might be heading for the pokey.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Or we're more likely to hear about kidnappings now.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I am agreeing with the fact that parents should not be prosecuted for allowing their children to do some things outside alone. At the same time, I have more concern in my heart for today's kids than even for my own when they were young.

It's a different world today, and I sure would hate to think of my girly being picked up by a stranger while on her way to school by herself.

As I was on my way to get groceries yesterday morning, I saw a little girl, no more than 6 or 7, walking to school. She must have missed the bus, and it was long after school had started, and it looked like she lived a long way from the school. (In my town, it's easy to tell this).

I immediately thought, where are her parents?

Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 01:44 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I am agreeing with the fact that parents should not be prosecuted for allowing their children to do some things outside alone. At the same time, I have more concern in my heart for today's kids than even for my own when they were young.

It's a different world today, and I sure would hate to think of my girl being picked up by a stranger while on her way to school by herself.

As I was on my way to get groceries yesterday morning, I saw a little girl, no more than 6 or 7, walking to school. She must have missed the bus, and it was long after school had started, and it looked like she lived a long way from the school. (In my town, it's easy to tell this).

I immediately thought, where are her parents?

My second thought was, you should stop and offer her a ride.

My third thought was, are you insane?

Really sad......Hope she got to school okay.......
                        Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 01:45 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah... a stranger offering a ride=creepy. Even now, I wouldn't take rides from strangers. Public transit doesn't count.
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Yeah... a stranger offering a ride=creepy. Even now, I wouldn't take rides from strangers. Public transit doesn't count.
                            A few years ago, I drove a stranger across most of Missouri. I knew I shouldn't have, but he came up to me at a truck stop, saw my license plate that indicated where I was headed, and told me his car was broken down and he needed a ride across the state. I was very reluctant, but eventually gave in. The first thing he then asked me was if I was a Christian, so I knew I was probably okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              A cousin of mine hitch-hiked from near our place outside Washington D.C. to Minnesota when he left the Army during the Vietnam War. He was still wearing his uniform and a trucker picked him up in roughly 15 minutes. Took him all the way to Minneapolis in about 22-23 hours (roughly 15 minutes from where lived). Insisted on paying for all his food and refused any money for gas. Wanted to show his support for the troops.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment