Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can't let kids walk alone anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I guess each child should be given responsibility according to their, well, ability. Every child is different, and all 10 year olds are not as responsible as the most responsible one.

Case by case basis, and the parent is the best judge of what each child is capable of.

I tend to find that if you treat your kids like they are incapable of doing things, by themselves, well... you're going to end up with just that. If you give your kids some independence and the ability to do things themselves, they will start to do things themselves. If you act as though they are incapable of doing it... well... that is what you'll end up with.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In NZ it is illegal to leave children under the age of 14 without reasonable adult supervision. (yet ironically they can walk to school on their own)

http://www.practicecentre.cyf.govt.n...ome-alone.html

So the parents in question would have been dinged hard here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/we...000/Home-alone
      http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10789921
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

At 10 years old, I was walking to the bus, with my 8 year old brother in tow. 10 year old's are perfectly capable of doing stuff by themselves or even with limited supervision of their younger siblings. Sorry Carr, it isn't 'moronic' at all because 10 year old's are not little children anymore and are capable of doing some stuff by themselves.
        It wa common for me to walk home from elementary school alone, and I knew people along the way so I was never alone.
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          It wa common for me to walk home from elementary school alone, and I knew people along the way so I was never alone.
          Second grade was about the time I could remember walking myself to the bus at back. That would have been about 7 or 8.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            In NZ it is illegal to leave children under the age of 14 without reasonable adult supervision. (yet ironically they can walk to school on their own)

http://www.practicecentre.cyf.govt.n...ome-alone.html

So the parents in question would have been dinged hard here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/we...000/Home-alone
            http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10789921
            Why? 10-14 year olds can keep safe for the most part. Why would a 13 year old need a babysitter? Unless they were unable to care for themselves.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Why? 10-14 year olds can keep safe for the most part. Why would a 13 year old need a babysitter? Unless they were unable to care for themselves.
              I was babysitting at 13 years old too. It is this whole assumption thing that children are incapable of taking care of themselves and need parents/adults always around to ensure they don't get hurt.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                I was babysitting at 13 years old too. It is this whole assumption thing that children are incapable of taking care of themselves and need parents/adults always around to ensure they don't get hurt.
                Self fufilling prophecy much?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

One day I may understand the reasons and be able to get back to you on them.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Kids must be less intelligent, or something, than when I was that age.
                    Eh, 'fair amount' is a pretty broad description. I have less of a problem with a bunch of 10yos doing things together than with a 10yo taking care of a younger sibling, but I'd also have less of a problem with a 10yo taking care of a younger sibling at home than with them doing so in a generally uncontrolled environment. It's pretty situational.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I guess each child should be given responsibility according to their, well, ability. Every child is different, and all 10 year olds are not as responsible as the most responsible one.

Case by case basis, and the parent is the best judge of what each child is capable of.

There are adults I don't trust to be responsible, let alone 10 year olds.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      There are 10 year olds I trust to be a LOT more responsible than some adults.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature
                        Yup.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Self fufilling prophecy much?
                          Pretty much. When you treat people like they are too dumb to take care of themselves. What do you know, you end up with people who are too dumb to take care of themselves.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

When I was 4 years old I went to mom and told her that CP and Rogue where playing in the middle of the street. And you know what? I was the one who got in trouble!

"You were supposed to be watching them," she said.

"I was. I watched them go into the middle of the street," I said.

Comment