Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bowe Bergdahl to be charged with desertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowe Bergdahl to be charged with desertion

Source: NYPost

U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, who disappeared from his base in Afghanistan in 2009 but was released last year in a prisoner swap with the Taliban, will be charged with desertion, according to NBC.

The television network, citing senior defense officials, said the charges could come within a week.

© Copyright Original Source

Source
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

so they released terrorists for no reason after all. They should court-marshall the people who put that plan into action.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, who disappeared from his base in Afghanistan in 2009 but was released last year in a prisoner swap with the Taliban, will be charged with desertion, according to NBC.

The television network, citing senior defense officials, said the charges could come within a week.

Source
      The hell kind of logic is this?
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
        The hell kind of logic is this?
        Obama Llama logic

That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          so they released terrorists for no reason after all. They should court-marshall the people who put that plan into action.
          For following the lawful orders of their superiors in the chain of command? I rather highly doubt the order came from people with a uniform and a rank, though people with uniforms and ranks carried them out. Blaming prison guards for releasing criminals at the orders of the mayor and police commissioner shows a rather shocking lack of familiarity with how the world works.

Please do some research on the structure of government before reflexively attacking people who would normally be on your side.

Comment

Should desertion even be a crime? Isn't that a violation of the prohibition of involuntary servitude? I'm pretty sure any other employer who forcibly prevents employees from quitting would be charged with involuntary servitude.

In the U.S. the maximum penalty on the books for desertion is death.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
              Should desertion even be a crime? Isn't that a violation of the prohibition of involuntary servitude?
              He volunteered.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

When you're in the military you pretty much put yourself at the mercy of others, my friend. Military discipline is based on making sure everybody stays put, does whatever they're told to do, and don't change sides. Desertion can be, and often is, an act of treachery, and the military wants to discourage anyone from even thinking of it.

in short, when you sign up, the government owns you.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

The issue becomes thornier if somebody is actually drafted (which obviously isn't the case here), but it's not difficult to see how the military creates a unique situation with the access to classified information and the like.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm dumbfounded at the White House's logic on this. He left his unit voluntarily, so we're going to free to terrorists to get a deserter back? Sounds rather like we freed terrorists to kidnap a deserter. Epic fail.
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Well, at least we gave the terrorists back their families.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                        I'm dumbfounded at the White House's logic on this. He left his unit voluntarily, so we're going to free to terrorists to get a deserter back? Sounds rather like we freed terrorists to kidnap a deserter. Epic fail.
                        Not only did he do it voluntarily, he PLANNED it. It wasn't just a "gee, I think I'll wander off today" situation.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                          Should desertion even be a crime? Isn't that a violation of the prohibition of involuntary servitude? I'm pretty sure any other employer who forcibly prevents employees from quitting would be charged with involuntary servitude.

In the U.S. the maximum penalty on the books for desertion is death.
                          The draft ended decades ago in the early 1970s. There was nothing involuntary about it. He volunteered.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Source
                            According to the Army Times the Army has not yet reached a decision

Source: Army: Bergdahl reports are untrue, no decision made

The Army says there is no truth to media reports claiming a decision has been made to charge Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl with desertion.

The Army continues to review the case against Bergdahl, said Paul Boyce, a spokesman for Forces Command, on Tuesday morning.

"Sgt. Bergdahl has not been charged with any crime," said Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby during a press briefing Tuesday afternoon.

"No decision has been made with respect to the case of Sgt. Bergdahl," Kirby said. "None. There is no timeline to make that decision, and Gen. [Mark] Milley is being put under no pressure to make a decision."

Source

This was released 3 hours ago but talks about claims made on the O'Reilly Factor Monday night rather than by NBC and others
                            Last edited by rogue06; 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              He volunteered.
                              As do employees in general. That doesn't justify employers shooting employees that try to quit
                              (or imprisoning, etc).

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              in short, when you sign up, the government owns you.
                              Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              it's not difficult to see how the military creates a unique situation with the access to classified information and the like.
                              There's lots of civilian employees with access to classified information, e.g. congressmen, NSA, CIA, FBI. They can quit their jobs.

Another possible argument is that it's because defense/combat/emergency is unique. That's lessened by the fact that police also engage in defense and sometimes combat, and rely on each other. And people join and leave police forces all the time. We can also consider private security forces, firemen, etc.

Comment