Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Humanities not liberal enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Of course, quoting a black man or other minority could probably just be dismissed as a token.
    That, and it's almost impossible to quote a notable black man without quoting a white man by proxy.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson, planetarium tour guide

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    A part of me looks forward to future pancreasmans having the overton window place them in the "far right" as they are endlessly bullied by new left hysterical fanatics into apologizing for racist actions like quoting a white man.
    Of course, quoting a black man or other minority could probably just be dismissed as a token.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    A part of me looks forward to future pancreasmans having the overton window place them in the "far right" as they are endlessly bullied by new left hysterical fanatics into apologizing for racist actions like quoting a white man.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Not sure how it's Left. Is it stupid? A little, but with good intention. We seem to major here on pointing out some dopey idea from the dreaded LEFT and pretending it's representative. Well, I go to the crazy LEFT meetings (I bring the pizza) and this was NOT voted on!!
    Not everyone leaning towards the left is quite as stupid as the ones in the OP, but if a person displays the sort of stupidity that's on exhibit in the OP you can be certain that they're leftists.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Not sure how it's Left.
    Yeah it takes a genius to figure that out.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Not sure how it's Left. Is it stupid? A little, but with good intention. We seem to major here on pointing out some dopey idea from the dreaded LEFT and pretending it's representative. Well, I go to the crazy LEFT meetings (I bring the pizza) and this was NOT voted on!!
    You've seen arguments for inclusiveness like that on the right? Where?

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Your arguments are as glib, low-effort, and snarky as your avatars. The public rejection of discipline, loyalty, and constancy in one aspect of life rarely fails to affect others.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Name a woman or PoC that made significant contribution to classical social theory? There isn't one because they simply weren't published - for whatever reason (not interested, not in a country that could, work lost, no willing publisher, et al). So how exactly is the professor supposed to comply? Why should he - it has no bearing (whether or not it should have had - it's a few hundred years too late now!)?

How is this NOT stupid? How is it not leftist?

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Yeah, stupid LEFT!
    Name a woman or PoC that made significant contribution to classical social theory? There isn't one because they simply weren't published - for whatever reason (not interested, not in a country that could, work lost, no willing publisher, et al). So how exactly is the professor supposed to comply? Why should he - it has no bearing (whether or not it should have had - it's a few hundred years too late now!)?

How is this NOT stupid? How is it not leftist?

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Yeah, stupid LEFT!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    I notice they don't offer any alternative suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Students don't get to write the syllabus. Next?

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    http://www.dailycal.org/2015/01/20/occupy-syllabus/

The Leftist cancer has run out of healthy cells to corrupt and is now starting to cannibalize itself.
    "murder of Michael Brown"? Yeah. Whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    started a topic Humanities not liberal enough

Humanities not liberal enough

http://www.dailycal.org/2015/01/20/occupy-syllabus/

We are calling for an occupation of syllabi in the social sciences and humanities. This call to action was instigated by our experience last semester as students in an upper-division course on classical social theory. Grades were based primarily on multiple-choice quizzes on assigned readings. The course syllabus employed a standardized canon of theory that began with Plato and Aristotle, then jumped to modern philosophers: Hobbes, Locke, Hegel, Marx, Weber and Foucault, all of whom are white men. The syllabus did not include a single woman or person of color.

We have major concerns about social theory courses in which white men are the only authors assigned. These courses pretend that a minuscule fraction of humanity — economically privileged white males from five imperial countries (England, France, Germany, Italy and the United States) — are the only people to produce valid knowledge about the world. This is absurd. The white male syllabus excludes all knowledge produced outside this standardized canon, silencing the perspectives of the other 99 percent of humanity.

The exclusions on the syllabus were mirrored in the classroom. Although the professor said he wanted to make the theory relevant to present issues, the class was out of touch with the majority of students’ lives. The lectures often incorporated current events, yet none of the examples engaged critically with gender or race. The professor even failed to mention the Ferguson events, even though he lectured about prisons, normalizing discourse and the carceral archipelago in Foucault’s “Discipline and Punish” the day after the grand jury decision on the murder of Michael Brown.
    The Leftist cancer has run out of healthy cells to corrupt and is now starting to cannibalize itself.