Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Humanities not liberal enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humanities not liberal enough

http://www.dailycal.org/2015/01/20/occupy-syllabus/

We are calling for an occupation of syllabi in the social sciences and humanities. This call to action was instigated by our experience last semester as students in an upper-division course on classical social theory. Grades were based primarily on multiple-choice quizzes on assigned readings. The course syllabus employed a standardized canon of theory that began with Plato and Aristotle, then jumped to modern philosophers: Hobbes, Locke, Hegel, Marx, Weber and Foucault, all of whom are white men. The syllabus did not include a single woman or person of color.

We have major concerns about social theory courses in which white men are the only authors assigned. These courses pretend that a minuscule fraction of humanity — economically privileged white males from five imperial countries (England, France, Germany, Italy and the United States) — are the only people to produce valid knowledge about the world. This is absurd. The white male syllabus excludes all knowledge produced outside this standardized canon, silencing the perspectives of the other 99 percent of humanity.

The exclusions on the syllabus were mirrored in the classroom. Although the professor said he wanted to make the theory relevant to present issues, the class was out of touch with the majority of students’ lives. The lectures often incorporated current events, yet none of the examples engaged critically with gender or race. The professor even failed to mention the Ferguson events, even though he lectured about prisons, normalizing discourse and the carceral archipelago in Foucault’s “Discipline and Punish” the day after the grand jury decision on the murder of Michael Brown.
    The Leftist cancer has run out of healthy cells to corrupt and is now starting to cannibalize itself.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    http://www.dailycal.org/2015/01/20/occupy-syllabus/

The Leftist cancer has run out of healthy cells to corrupt and is now starting to cannibalize itself.
    "murder of Michael Brown"? Yeah. Whatever.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Students don't get to write the syllabus. Next?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I notice they don't offer any alternative suggestions.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, stupid LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
            Yeah, stupid LEFT!
            Name a woman or PoC that made significant contribution to classical social theory? There isn't one because they simply weren't published - for whatever reason (not interested, not in a country that could, work lost, no willing publisher, et al). So how exactly is the professor supposed to comply? Why should he - it has no bearing (whether or not it should have had - it's a few hundred years too late now!)?

How is this NOT stupid? How is it not leftist?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Name a woman or PoC that made significant contribution to classical social theory? There isn't one because they simply weren't published - for whatever reason (not interested, not in a country that could, work lost, no willing publisher, et al). So how exactly is the professor supposed to comply? Why should he - it has no bearing (whether or not it should have had - it's a few hundred years too late now!)?

How is this NOT stupid? How is it not leftist?
              Not sure how it's Left. Is it stupid? A little, but with good intention. We seem to major here on pointing out some dopey idea from the dreaded LEFT and pretending it's representative. Well, I go to the crazy LEFT meetings (I bring the pizza) and this was NOT voted on!!

Comment

Not sure how it's Left. Is it stupid? A little, but with good intention. We seem to major here on pointing out some dopey idea from the dreaded LEFT and pretending it's representative. Well, I go to the crazy LEFT meetings (I bring the pizza) and this was NOT voted on!!
                Your arguments are as glib, low-effort, and snarky as your avatars. The public rejection of discipline, loyalty, and constancy in one aspect of life rarely fails to affect others.

Comment

You've seen arguments for inclusiveness like that on the right? Where?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not sure how it's Left.
                    Yeah it takes a genius to figure that out.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Not everyone leaning towards the left is quite as stupid as the ones in the OP, but if a person displays the sort of stupidity that's on exhibit in the OP you can be certain that they're leftists.

Comment

A part of me looks forward to future pancreasmans having the overton window place them in the "far right" as they are endlessly bullied by new left hysterical fanatics into apologizing for racist actions like quoting a white man.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          A part of me looks forward to future pancreasmans having the overton window place them in the "far right" as they are endlessly bullied by new left hysterical fanatics into apologizing for racist actions like quoting a white man.
                          Of course, quoting a black man or other minority could probably just be dismissed as a token.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Of course, quoting a black man or other minority could probably just be dismissed as a token.
                            That, and it's almost impossible to quote a notable black man without quoting a white man by proxy.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson, planetarium tour guide

Comment