Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Measles Spreading in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    From measles?
    Calm down.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post

What?
      You don't read the articles you link to, or you're just dumb?

Before measles vaccines became commonplace in 1963, about three million to four million Americans a year contracted the disease, the agency said, and 400 to 500 died from it.

Comment

And one of the most likely reasons is that parents don't want their kids getting vaccinations;
        And letting in hordes of unvaccinated children through the southern border could not possibly have any relation to the outbreak.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          And letting in hordes of unvaccinated children through the southern border could not possibly have any relation to the outbreak.
          That is not the case here in Canada. Unless it is all the hordes of unvaccinated children coming in through OUR southern border.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            500 out of 4 million people died before vaccines became commonplace. Tens of thousands of people die a year just from the flu. Calm down.
            Source of info for flu deaths, please.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

How many people get sick or die from the flu every year?

Flu seasons vary in severity. It is estimated that between 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and it is estimated that more than 200,000 people are hospitalized on average for flu-related complications each year. Over a period of 30 years, between 1976 and 2006, estimates of flu-associated deaths in the United States range from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.
              http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/disease.htm

Comment

Measles vaccine acquired immunity is reported to wane in at least 5 percent of cases, within 10 to 15 years after vaccination. 4,5,6A report published in 2012 by the Cochrane Collaboration reviewed 57 clinical trials and studies that involved about 14.7 million children vaccinated with the MMR vaccine.7 Cochrane found that:

"Based on the evidence provided by three cohort studies (3104 participants), vaccination with one dose of MMR vaccine is at least 95 percent effective in preventing clinical measles among preschool children; in schoolchildren and adolescents at least one dose of MMR vaccine was 98 percent effective in preventing laboratory-confirmed measles cases; one or two MMR doses were respectively 92 percent and 95 percent effective in preventing secondary measles cases."

There are studies showing that measles outbreaks can occur in fully vaccinated populations.8,9,10 For example, an outbreak of measles in the spring of 1985 in Corpus Christi, Texas, occurred in a school where more than 99 percent of the students were fully vaccinated. After examining serum samples from students for detectable measles antibodies, the study’s researchers concluded that “outbreaks of measles can occur in secondary schools, even when more than 99 percent of the students have been vaccinated…”11
                http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-dis...effective.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  How many of those kids went to Disneyland in the past couple of months?
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    You don't read the articles you link to, or you're just dumb?
                    I wasn't saying what to the statistic you put up, it was to you typing "calm down"

And I accidentally clicked the amen button under your post.
                    Last edited by Christy; 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Jenny McCarthy type vax deniers are probably the most ridiculous ones. Why would you rather take the risk of having your kid getting sick or dying and getting other people sick than take the risk of having them develop autism?
                      To give another prospective, my nephew had a sever reaction to a vaccination and nearly died. He was in PICU for 3 days clinging to life. I don't know if it's related or not, but he has issues to this day. He seems to have mild asperbergers like symptoms...
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Don't ya just hate it when that happens?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wasn't saying what to the statistic you put up, it was to you typing "calm down"

I apologize. I shouldn't have called you that.

Comment

Jenny McCarthy type vax deniers are probably the most ridiculous ones. Why would you rather take the risk of having your kid getting sick or dying and getting other people sick than take the risk of having them develop autism?
                            Especially considering that the link between vaccinations and autism has been utterly debunked.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Especially considering that the link between vaccinations and autism has been utterly debunked.
                              My secretary contracted Bell's Palsy "two weeks to the day" after getting her flu shot. She is absolutely convinced it is a causal relationship, and stresses "to the day!"

We obviously don't know that Bells Palsy would have presented if she had NOT had the vax.

It does remind me, however, of the "my car was fine til you inflated the tires, now my radio doesn't work!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                My secretary contracted Bell's Palsy "two weeks to the day" after getting her flu shot. She is absolutely convinced it is a causal relationship, and stresses "to the day!"

We obviously don't know that Bells Palsy would have presented if she had NOT had the vax.

It does remind me, however, of the "my car was fine til you inflated the tires, now my radio doesn't work!"
                                I had Bell's Palsy once. It was freaky. Started out as a numb feeling on my tongue and spread to the whole side of my face. My doctor said it is a strain of herpes (not the sexual kind!) so she subscribed me some valtrex and it started to go away. It lasted a couple of months. I still have a little weirdness going on with my right eye though. When I am chewing, sometimes it makes my eye tear up. must have gotten some crossed nerves or something.

No idea what caused it though. I do get fever blisters sometimes which is another herpes virus, so maybe it has something to do with that. It's been about 10 years ago since I had it and it never came back.

Comment