Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Measles Spreading in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I apologize. I shouldn't have called you that.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Especially considering that the link between vaccinations and autism has been utterly debunked.
      You should not have written "utterly debunked." Autism is of many kinds and there is a myriad of possible causes. It's a statistical nightmare. Could it be the decreasing % of the atmosphere that is oxygen? Before the Industrial Revolution, it was 30-35%. Now, 21%; smaller in large population centers. What connection? Even if there is one, unfortunately it may be a very long time before we know what it is.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
        And one of the most likely reasons is that parents don't want their kids getting vaccinations; http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us...=tw-share&_r=0
        The anti-vaccine crowd. Killing children and/or giving them serious illnesses, the world over.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          You should not have written "utterly debunked." Autism is of many kinds and there is a myriad of possible causes. It's a statistical nightmare. Could it be the decreasing % of the atmosphere that is oxygen? Before the Industrial Revolution, it was 30-35%. Now, 21%; smaller in large population centers. What connection? Even if there is one, unfortunately it may be a very long time before we know what it is.
          Utterly.

Conclusions. Studies do not demonstrate a link between thimerosal-containing vaccines and ASD, and the pharmacokinetics of ethylmercury make such an association less likely. Epidemiologic studies that support a link demonstrated significant design flaws that invalidate their conclusions. Evidence does not support a change in the standard of practice with regard to administration of thimerosal-containing vaccines in areas of the world where they are used.
          http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...14/3/793.short

Conclusions:  The significance of this finding is that MMR vaccination is most unlikely to be a main cause of ASD, that it cannot explain the rise over time in the incidence of ASD, and that withdrawal of MMR in countries where it is still being used cannot be expected to lead to a reduction in the incidence of ASD.
          http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...5.01425.x/full

(waits for the first person to say 'Big Pharma'.)

Comment

Happy to oblige.

Big Pharma.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              Happy to oblige.

Big Pharma.
              Thank you. We can all go home now.

Comment

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Don't ya just hate it when that happens?
                  Almost a full third of my amens for your posts were accidental when I really meant to click "report"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Almost a full third of my amens for your posts were accidental when I really meant to click "report"
                    Oh YEAH?!?!?! Report me!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                      (waits for the first person to say 'Big Pharma'.)
                      Big Pharma
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, you at least allow the possibility that scientific studies can be poor or faked. Faked, yes? I wish I can tell for sure who is reliable and who not.
                        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          The anti-vaccine crowd. Killing children and/or giving them serious illnesses, the world over.
                          Not that I'm anti-vaccine, but I can't help but wonder how overstated this is. Increases in hygiene alone would make a pretty big dent in the spread of disease. I'm not convinced that failing to administer vaccines is as...catastrophic as is typically portrayed. That said, the risk/reward still plays heavily in favor of vaccination.

Related note: my brother-in-law's wife has been talking about 'normal' delivery instead of a c-section (first child was c-section). She was kinda miffed that the doctor flat out refused. Apparently, he (rightly, imo) thinks the risk is not worth it. She wasn't so sure until I pointed out that the risk included possible death. It's an unlikely risk, ofc, but is it worth it under any avoidable circumstances? She didn't seem to think so.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            Increases in hygiene alone would make a pretty big dent in the spread of disease.
                            Back in the late 70's, we were doing a lot of mission work in Haiti, and had a number of clinics there. We (our clinics) would get the kids well, only to have them get the same illnesses and parasites they had before we treated them.

We (Baptists and Lutherans in a mutual aid agreement) began drilling deep water wells all over the island, providing clean drinking water. That made a HUGE difference, and when the kids were made well, they tended to stay well. That had been getting sick all over again from drinking their own brackish water.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
                              And one of the most likely reasons is that parents don't want their kids getting vaccinations; http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us...=tw-share&_r=0
                              The article did not mention any classification of the statistics:
                              1) Number of victims that are considered to be adequately vaccinated;
                              2) ditto except inadequately.
                              3) ditto except not ever vaccinated.

Also, incidence among these groups. E.g., the ratio of adequately vaccinated victims to total adequately vaccinated people.

If the incidence of 1) > incidence of 3) that would mean someone in 3) is more likely to catch measles from 1) than vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                                Well, you at least allow the possibility that scientific studies can be poor or faked. Faked, yes? I wish I can tell for sure who is reliable and who not.
                                Of course one should doubt the methodology of any study that produces results one does not personally agree with.

Comment