Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

King of Saudi Arabia Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of Saudi Arabia Dies

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01...te-tv-reports/

The article is pessimistic about the half-brother being as strong an ally for the US especially against Iran.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone, especially on this forum, thinks Saudi Arabia is our ally. They're one of the most, if not THE most radical Islamic states there is. Stop the flow and demand for oil and watch how western friendly (tolerant) they stay.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone, especially on this forum, thinks Saudi Arabia is our ally. They're one of the most, if not THE most radical Islamic states there is. Stop the flow and demand for oil and watch how western friendly (tolerant) they stay.
      That's an oversimplification. The radical islamists that have the backing of the Saudi royals are not the ones usually causing us trouble. It is an alliance of convenience though. We need their oil and they need our muscle/tech, so cultural differences like burning korans or stoning adulterers are glossed over.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Abdullah, in many ways was a reformer. From the outside it looked like he was no different but inside Saudi Arabia many saw him as being darn near radical. But a friend of the U.S. No. DE is right. Both sides essentially saw the other as an ally of convenience.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I didn't say they were our ally. I merely observed the writer of the article wasn't very optimistic about the new King.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            That's an oversimplification. The radical islamists that have the backing of the Saudi royals are not the ones usually causing us trouble. It is an alliance of convenience though. We need their oil and they need our muscle/tech, so cultural differences like burning korans or stoning adulterers are glossed over.
            I seriously doubt that and I doubt you can prove that. The way I see it, the radical Islamist royals are ruling the radical Islamist underlings with an iron grip, thus is why the underlings don't normally get out of line (though they have been rioting of late, this has been squashed with very little western media and political attention). The radical Islamist royals act neutral only because of the oil demand. In politics, it's also important to brainwash conservatives into to thinking they're our allies because the very thought that western oil enterprises (including the Bush family) are getting extremely wealthy by being buddy buddy with radical Islamists is not politically expedient as it's an in-your-face contradiction.

Comment

Middle East friendship policy: My enemy's enemy is my friend. Today.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Saudi Arabia was a friend to the one who has the most money
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I seriously doubt that and I doubt you can prove that.
                  Al Quaeda hates them. ISIS hates them. Iran hates them. Am I missing any islamists we're actually fighting with that like them?
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Al Quaeda hates them. ISIS hates them. Iran hates them. Am I missing any islamists we're actually fighting with that like them?
                    Muslims are sectarian. They all hate each other.

Comment

Muslims are sectarian. They all hate each other.
                      But they don't all cause us trouble, which is what we were talking about. In fact the main reason why many of them hate the Saudis is because of their cooperation with the US. It's what originally set Bin Laden on the warpath, for example.

Comment

I can't really say that the eventual collapse of Saudi Arabia as soon as the wily old oilmen died wasn't inevitable or richly, richly deserved, due to their longstanding policy of dancing with terrorists till they could spin them off into other countries to explode, but I will say that if there are any Christians/Westerners you know of living there due to the previous detente, GET OUT NOW would be quite the sage advice.

Comment

I seriously doubt that and I doubt you can prove that. The way I see it, the radical Islamist royals are ruling the radical Islamist underlings with an iron grip, thus is why the underlings don't normally get out of line (though they have been rioting of late, this has been squashed with very little western media and political attention).
                          That worked in Syria.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Saudis move closer to China. They've been making overtures after U.S. ally Mubarak fell in Egypt and we stood by and let the Muslim brotherhood take control in and then punish Sisi when he threw them out.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That worked in Syria.
                              Is this sarcasm?

Comment