Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberals Should Rejoice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Who's burning straw?
    Jed in this case apparently. I still do not agree that the use of "mutual consent" to support homosexual marriage is a phoney use. Pman is correct that the concept is not phony. My condemnation of it's use was not clear.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      A number of reasons:

1) As I mentioned earlier, many same-sex couples who request permission to marry do so because they wish to form a family with each other, to graft two family trees together.
      I think Darth refuted this one earlier, so I'm not sure why you bring it up again without addressing that.

In case it needs further refuting:

1) The usual "marriage equality" argument is rather that people should be equally free to marry the person they love. (This is the typical response to the question "Why isn't it "equal" that everyone is "equally" able to marry someone of the opposite sex?").

2) To grant special legal privileges to those who want to graft two family trees together is a violation of equality of marriage laws. It (unequally) denies the legal privileges to those who do not wish to graft two family trees together. It therefore must be considered a violation of marriage equality.

2) As other posters have noted, incestuous relationships (especially those of a parent and child) tend to carry the risk of power imbalances and raise consent problems
      This is very ad hoc.

In addition to responses others have given, I would add that I'm pretty sure fathers and daughters are not generally prohibited from entering into contracts. A contract may be void due to duress, but I think that has a higher bar (requires there be an unlawful threat made). Such a thing would have to be determined on a case-by-case basis (and be applied equally to all requests for a marriage license), and not a sweeping law treating an entire class of relationships unequally. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Again, a number of reasons have been provided why this sort of thing could reasonably be opposed by anybody, even those out there who support gay marriage... I just don't feel like they're being taken very seriously.
        They're not taken seriously because they're very poor arguments.

I explained one possibility from genetics.
        Heterosexuals aren't banned from marriage if their genetics had a high risk of producing kids with genetic disorders, so this seems tacked on. Nevermind that this isn't even a necessary risk for incest. The abnormalities only show up if you have recessive genes mostly unique to your family that produce these abnormalities. If you don't (IE: the case in the OP) they're a non-issue.

square_peg provided another reason based on psychology and abuse and seer's only response was "are you making this up?" That doesn't sound like an attempt for serious dialogue.
        As I told square_peg, we don't ban gay/straight marriages because of a "difference in power" so I don't see why it should make a difference in this case.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

First the Israel atlas thread and now here, I find myself agreeing with Darth. What's happened to me?

Comment