Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Duke U - Muslim Students at Duke to Begin Weekly Call-to-Prayer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Duke U - Muslim Students at Duke to Begin Weekly Call-to-Prayer

    ---
    Durham, NC - Members of the Duke Muslim Students Association will chant a weekly call-to-prayer from the Duke Chapel bell tower beginning Friday, Jan. 16.

    The chant, called the “adhan,” announces the start of the group’s jummah prayer service, which takes place in the chapel basement each Friday at 1 p.m. The service is open to the public.

    The chant lasts about three minutes and will be moderately amplified.

    "The adhan is the call to prayer that brings Muslims back to their purpose in life, which is to worship God and serves as a reminder to serve our brothers and sisters in humanity," said Imam Adeel Zeb, Muslim chaplain at Duke. “The collective Muslim community is truly grateful and excited about Duke’s intentionality toward religious and cultural diversity.”

    “This opportunity represents a larger commitment to religious pluralism that is at the heart of Duke’s mission,” added Christy Lohr Sapp, the chapel’s associate dean for religious life. “It connects the university to national trends in religious accommodation.”

    Muslim students at Duke are supported by the university through the Office of Student Affairs’ Muslim Life department, which hosts religious services, community service projects and interfaith events. The Center for Muslim Life provides on-campus social and spiritual meeting spaces for students as well as opportunities for counseling and advising.
    -----------------

    https://today.duke.edu/2015/01/adhanannouncement




    I wonder what their response would be to a Christian preaching the gospel from the tower over the PA system today? They started out as a Christian college but seems like they are not any longer.
    Last edited by Sparko; 01-14-2015, 03:51 PM.


  • #2
    Did I ever tell you about the incident between the Hindu gangs and the Muslim gangs in the Phoenix suburb of Durban, South Africa (Phoenix is predominately Indian, with a roughly even split between Hindu's and Muslims).
    Back in about 2001 the one Hindu gang wanted to get back at their Muslim rivals, so come to Friday's call to Prayers, they took the chap who was going to do the prayers up to the PA system they use and forced him, at gunpoint, to sing Who Let the Dogs Out instead of doing the adhan.
    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      Did I ever tell you about the incident between the Hindu gangs and the Muslim gangs in the Phoenix suburb of Durban, South Africa (Phoenix is predominately Indian, with a roughly even split between Hindu's and Muslims).
      Back in about 2001 the one Hindu gang wanted to get back at their Muslim rivals, so come to Friday's call to Prayers, they took the chap who was going to do the prayers up to the PA system they use and forced him, at gunpoint, to sing Who Let the Dogs Out instead of doing the adhan.
      I accidentally amen'd this tasteless and demeaning post.





































      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        ---
        Durham, NC - Members of the Duke Muslim Students Association will chant a weekly call-to-prayer from the Duke Chapel bell tower beginning Friday, Jan. 16.

        The chant, called the “adhan,” announces the start of the group’s jummah prayer service, which takes place in the chapel basement each Friday at 1 p.m. The service is open to the public.

        The chant lasts about three minutes and will be moderately amplified.

        "The adhan is the call to prayer that brings Muslims back to their purpose in life, which is to worship God and serves as a reminder to serve our brothers and sisters in humanity," said Imam Adeel Zeb, Muslim chaplain at Duke. “The collective Muslim community is truly grateful and excited about Duke’s intentionality toward religious and cultural diversity.”

        “This opportunity represents a larger commitment to religious pluralism that is at the heart of Duke’s mission,” added Christy Lohr Sapp, the chapel’s associate dean for religious life. “It connects the university to national trends in religious accommodation.”

        Muslim students at Duke are supported by the university through the Office of Student Affairs’ Muslim Life department, which hosts religious services, community service projects and interfaith events. The Center for Muslim Life provides on-campus social and spiritual meeting spaces for students as well as opportunities for counseling and advising.
        -----------------

        https://today.duke.edu/2015/01/adhanannouncement




        I wonder what their response would be to a Christian preaching the gospel from the tower over the PA system today? They started out as a Christian college but seems like they are not any longer.
        Today, we're encouraged to be brave and tolerant. To be brave, one must stand up to the tyranny of the majority; to be tolerant, one must embrace diversity. If one accommodates the majority, then one is part of the tyranny and rejecting diversity, and we can't have that.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

        Comment


        • #5
          Duke University is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Indeed my cousin has her Master's in Divinity from the Seminary. However for all of its many wonderful Professors, Students, and Education Duke is notoriously ecumenical. As I was going through RCIA, three seminarians who were also in the same RCIA class met in the Chapel for Rosary Prayers with the Professors who were Catholic. Duke has been for a long time accommodating of everyone regardless of background so for the seminary to open the chapel to Muslims as it has been in the past open to Jewish High Holy days and Minyan for students as well as Unitarian and other services is not surprising by any means. The Methodists are currently a very open, liberal as a whole denomination, though some churches individually are still conservative.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

          Comment


          • #6
            This is nothing compared to what happened at Marquette (Catholic university that punished a professor for teaching the RCC view on homosexuality).
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

            Comment


            • #7
              This is the adhan:

              God is Great
              God is Great
              God is Great
              God is Great

              I bear witness that there is no god except the One God.
              I bear witness that there is no god except the One God.

              I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God.
              I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God.

              Rise up for prayer
              Rise up for prayer

              Rise up for Salvation
              Rise up for Salvation

              God is Great
              God is Great

              There is no god except the One God

              Comment


              • #8
                I noticed the odd juxtaposition in Lao's post

                There is no god except the One God

                There is no lao tzu

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  This is the adhan:
                  Congratulations. In a Muslim ruled country, you can now be considered Muslim (and be prosecuted for apostasy if you deny that).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Today, we're encouraged to be brave and tolerant. To be brave, one must stand up to the tyranny of the majority; to be tolerant, one must embrace diversity. If one accommodates the majority, then one is part of the tyranny and rejecting diversity, and we can't have that.
                    Yeah it's not the freedom of religious expression that bothers me, but the hypocrisy of schools and people that say things like "we need to celebrate the diversity of religions" and allow things like calls to muslim prayer over loudspeakers, but ban prayers from locker rooms or on the field before a football game.

                    It is "let's celebrate other religions, EXCEPT for Christianity."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I hope Duke doesn't receive any Federal funds or this is a violation of the seperation of church and state. What does the ACLU have to say? Oh, nothing? I'm shocked.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God


                      From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yeah it's not the freedom of religious expression that bothers me, but the hypocrisy of schools and people that say things like "we need to celebrate the diversity of religions" and allow things like calls to muslim prayer over loudspeakers, but ban prayers from locker rooms or on the field before a football game.

                        It is "let's celebrate other religions, EXCEPT for Christianity."
                        Well Sparky.... This sort of doesn't apply to duke because its a Christian affiliated school doing what it wants. However I can see why this may apply in plenty of other situations.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Congratulations. In a Muslim ruled country, you can now be considered Muslim (and be prosecuted for apostasy if you deny that).
                          Ya know, folks who haven't spent much time in "Muslim-ruled" countries might even believe that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That sounds eerily similar to the urban legend about anybody who takes LSD seven times being able to be considered legally insane.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              That sounds eerily similar to the urban legend about anybody who takes LSD seven times being able to be considered legally insane.
                              Ten times. At least that's what the doctor told a friend of mine after his mental breakdown when he got smart and responded "Do you want them listed alphabetically, categorically or chronologically?" when asked if he had ever taken any illegal drugs.


                              I have to admit I liked that response so much that I've used it a number of times for different things, but then in case you haven't noticed I'm a bit of a smartass myself.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christian3, Yesterday, 02:14 PM
                              13 responses
                              103 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 02:00 PM
                              3 responses
                              57 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 10-24-2020, 08:17 AM
                              10 responses
                              97 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Started by LiconaFan97, 10-23-2020, 04:56 PM
                              32 responses
                              204 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seer
                              by seer
                               
                              Started by Juvenal, 10-23-2020, 11:08 AM
                              10 responses
                              103 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Juvenal
                              by Juvenal
                               
                              Working...
                              X