Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Activist Rethinks His Position After Undertaking Use of Force Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    Of course the Aussies also have the problem of occasionally setting people on fire with using a tazer (but then trying to attack the cops by throwing petrol at them to set them alight is stupid)
    http://www.news.com.au/national/rona...-1225752482311
    Yes, the key word there is 'occasionally'. I must say I am (generally) proud of our police who seem to be able to handle most situations without killing anyone. I don't think our police are probably any better than the US, but we and NZ have a culture where ending someone's life is almost unthinkable.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      But would these be applicable to a relatively calm situation such as the one described?
      I don't know; I was just commenting on the apparent implication being that no reasons whatsoever were ever given.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I don't know; I was just commenting on the apparent implication being that no reasons whatsoever were ever given.
        I really do want to get a better view on this because I do assume that if there was an easier way to use tasers more widely, it would be done because it would reduce liability big time.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I really do want to get a better view on this because I do assume that if there was an easier way to use tasers more widely, it would be done because it would reduce liability big time.
          I'd be interested in learning more too. I really don't know anything about the subject.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I'd be interested in learning more too. I really don't know anything about the subject.
            Then you are eminently qualified to make a thread on Tweb denouncing liberals who prevent police from using atomic weapons.

Comment

Probably something like "well these guys weren't trained for the situations, they were civilians, cops are supposed to be trained for them"
              Originally posted by square_peg View Post
              Would a mature, reasonable person care to provide a reasonable answer to why such a reply would supposedly be flawed?

I would really appreciate it if you would be a bit more circumspect in your quoting... the way you had this laid out, it APPEARED that this was part of what I said. It was not.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                "Hands up, don't shoot!" is not just a protest chant, it's actually excellent advice for not getting shot by a cop.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                  Time for my regular completely unwarranted generalisation: You Americans seem to be stuck in black or white thinking. Cops are either saintly heroes doing an tough job or evil fascists. Surely the real truth is that just like everybody else, there are 'good' cops and 'bad' cops and every shade in between. Your history is chock full of examples of corrupt and violent cops as well as heroic public servants.
                  Another factor to consider is that cops are human.

I suspect any 2 cops might handle any given situation differently. I think we should avoid lionising cops in all situations because it leaves no room for 'he did what he thought was right, but he probably could have handled it better.'
                  And not all cops have the same training or experience, or physical strength or agility, or any number of other variables. And you never seem to be trained in the exact scenario in academy as presents itself in real life.

There is also the adrenalin factor and the "fight or flight" response with which a human has to deal.

I believe I am qualified as an expert in these matters since I have watched many episodes of 'Law and Order'.
                  I'm afraid that (and other dramatized shows) is where too many people get their "knowledge" of police procedures.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    "Hands up, don't shoot!" is not just a protest chant, it's actually excellent advice for not getting shot by a cop.
                    EGGzackly -- the very BEST advice is to comply with the officer's demands, and sort it out later. Any attempt to resist is only going to ADD charges, or a tragic ending.

Comment

Then you are eminently qualified to make a thread on Tweb denouncing liberals who prevent police from using atomic weapons.
                      I hope they don't use atomic weapons. That would kill everyone in the city if used. I guess you meant automatic?
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        I hope they don't use atomic weapons. That would kill everyone in the city if used. I guess you meant automatic?
                        Actually I was using hyperbole for HUMOR.

Comment

Actually I was using hyperbole for HUMOR.
                          I got it!

Comment

I know this post was in jest, but to clarify, this wouldn't be one of those threads. Ironically, just the other day, I was the one being denounced as an evil liberal. Honestly, I don't really consider myself a conservative or a liberal, and the thread wasn't created to denounce anyone. I just thought it was interesting seeing an open minded individual taking the time to see things from the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              When I was Security Forces in Germany the order was "Halt, oder ich schiessen!" Occasionally one of our guys would get that mixed up with Edited by a Moderator which has an entirely different meaning.

Moderator Notice

Even in German it is veiled, or not so veiled profanity

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Jedidiah; 01-10-2015, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                I know this post was in jest, but to clarify, this wouldn't be one of those threads. Ironically, just the other day, I was the one being denounced as an evil liberal. Honestly, I don't really consider myself a conservative or a liberal, and the thread wasn't created to denounce anyone. I just thought it was interesting seeing an open minded individual taking the time to see things from the other side.
                                Oh, I didn't think it was one of those threads ... and you do have some demonic liberal tendencies which need to be prayed over. I just can't resist a cheap shot entirely for the sake of humour when I see one. Sorry.

Comment