Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Practitioners of the "Religion of Peace" kill 12 in France for publishing cartoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, he don't! We don't neither of us!
    Old Lady Rollins at the reform skewl learned us how to spellify things reel good like. And even how two conjunical them verbs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Don't Jewish people also have their own system of courts particularly for family law matters?

The others may be true in anecdotal form but I don't think they represent the views of a majority of Muslims. That said, I'd like to go on record as saying Islam seems to me to be a silly religion and it certainly is a touchstone for disaffected people who have a gripe against the Western world.

Mormons seem to have a sillier religion but they stopped killing people earlier.
      To settle a family dispute is one thing. To settle legal matters between strangers is another.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's what I meant, after.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Don't Jewish people also have their own system of courts particularly for family law matters?

The others may be true in anecdotal form but I don't think they represent the views of a majority of Muslims. That said, I'd like to go on record as saying Islam seems to me to be a silly religion and it certainly is a touchstone for disaffected people who have a gripe against the Western world.

Mormons seem to have a sillier religion but they stopped killing people earlier.
          Remember we're talking about Muslims who refuse to integrate in the the western countries they move to (which admittedly isn't all Muslims.....we're talking a large demographic though)

They're all things that are happening in Blighty.

Setting up the Sharia courts: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...al-chiefs.html

Dogs: http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2014/10/la...e/#more-160077
          "Bartlett Park in East London is a popular place for residents to walk their dogs. That is, until it was declared Muslim property. A sign went up saying, “Do not walk your dogs here! Muslims do not like dogs. This is an Islamic area now.” Labour Member of Parliament Jim Fitzpatrick was alerted to the sign after someone noticed it while walking their dog. Police removed the offensive sign, but the investigation as to who hung it is still ongoing."

Also Malaysian politicians and Religious Leaders complained about the Scottie Dogs being used in the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow as being offensive to Muslims. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...o-Muslims.html

AS for the Queen (the female authority figure), lets not forget the for Muslims who were planning on stabbing her at the Festival of Rememberance in November last year.
          And the comments by Abu Nabeed
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elsh-park.html
          article-2673493-1F3A175300000578-33_634x958.jpg

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ad_1369630825
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            To settle a family dispute is one thing. To settle legal matters between strangers is another.
            “Halakha (Hebrew, also transliterated as Halakhah, Halacha, Halakhot and Halachah) is the collective corpus of Jewish religious law, including biblical law (the 613 mitzvot) and later talmudic and rabbinic law as well as customs and traditions. Like the religious laws in many other cultures, Judaism classically draws no distinction in its laws between religious and non-religious life. Hence, Halakha guides not only religious practices and beliefs, but numerous aspects of day-to-day life. Historically, Halakha served many Jewish communities as an enforceable avenue of civil and religious law. In the modern era, Jewish citizens may be bound to Halakhah only by their voluntary consent.”
            from here

Interestingly,

As an American Muslim I would be opposed to any suggestion that Sharia replace our American legal system for American Muslims or any other Americans, and I would be the first to fight any such possibility.

However, the inclusion of Sharia arbitration or alternative dispute resolution that might be utilized by Muslims who so choose after signing a binding arbitration agreement (signed by both parties in a dispute), or that might file an amicus brief with the court is not an alarming new idea. In fact, it is an existing option for religious communities. Any decision rendered by a tribunal or a panel of mediators is subject to appeal to the courts and must be consistent with American law and our Constitution.

Comment

• I'm surprised I haven't heard this one posted here yet:

Contrary to popular misconception, Islam does not mean peace but rather means submission to the commands of Allah alone. Therefore, Muslims do not believe in the concept of freedom of expression, as their speech and actions are determined by divine revelation and not based on people's desires.

Although Muslims may not agree about the idea of freedom of expression, even non-Muslims who espouse it say it comes with responsibilities. In an increasingly unstable and insecure world, the potential consequences of insulting the Messenger Muhammad are known to Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
              http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...ates/21417461/
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                With open eyes. Unlike you.
                Fixed it for you no charge.

CP you know you need to hit PM over the head with the 2 by 4 or an acme anvil to get him to understand you are telling him to take the blinders off when giving him the facts he choosing to ignore or handwave away

Comment

• There was an interesting column by Rod Dreher on this last week:

Yesterday, reader Aaron Gross called the “Je suis Charlie” meme, signifying solidarity with the murdered French journalists, “kitsch.” He didn’t elaborate, but I am sure he meant kitsch in the Milan Kundera sense of the word. From Kundera’s “The Unbearable Lightness of Being”:

“Kitsch causes two tears to flow in quick succession. The first tear says: How nice to see children running on the grass!

The second tear says: How nice to be moved, together with all mankind, by children running on the grass!”

The more I think about it, the more I believe Gross is right.

I can’t speak for French sensibilities, obviously, but here in America, it’s easy for us on both the Left and the Right to join the Je suis Charlie mob, because it costs us exactly nothing. Nobody here knows what Charlie Hebdo stands for; all we know is that its staff were the victims of Islamist mass murder, of the sort with which we are all familiar. We know that this murder strikes at one of the basic freedoms we take for granted: freedom of speech, and freedom of the press. Feelings of solidarity with those murdered souls are natural, and even laudable.

But what makes it kitschy is that we love thinking of ourselves standing in solidarity with the brave journalists against the Islamist killers. When the principle of standing up for free speech might cost us something far, far less than our lives, most of us would fold. You didn’t see liberals wearing “I Am Brendan Eich” slogans; many on the Left think he got what he deserved, because blasphemers like him don’t deserve a place in public life. Nor did you see conservatives brandishing “I Am Brendan Eich” slogans, because they feared they might be next.

Aaron Gross is right: for people like me and thee to say Je suis Charlie is kitsch. Again, I understand the feeling that free speech is under siege from Islamist berserkers willing to kill to stamp it out, and it ought to be defended. That’s what I mean by Je suis Charlie, and I know that’s what a lot of people mean. But if you get down to it, I think for most of us, it is not principle, but a form of self-congratulatory sentimentality. It’s easy for us Americans to stand up for Charlie Hebdo because we don’t know much of anything about the newspaper, and its senior staff was wiped out by people (militant Islamists) we rightly regard as scum of the earth, and because that scum did so in the name of a religion that is alien to us, and seen as threatening.

Bring it all back home for a second. Think of a political or cultural organization whose advocacy work you despise. Imagine that its senior staff was murdered by terrorists intending to punish them for their advocacy, and to intimidate other advocates of their ilk into silence. Now, imagine yourself saying, “I Am (That Organization)” as a protest against their murder, and in defense of free speech.

If you can’t do it, then you are not as principled about free speech as you think you are. I couldn’t do it, and I am not.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I see the pontiff has weighed in today to say that religions should be treated with respect - cue a flood of satirical pope cartoons (surely at least one with the pope saying "Je suis Charlie").
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      I see the pontiff has weighed in today to say that religions should be treated with respect - cue a flood of satirical pope cartoons (surely at least one with the pope saying "Je suis Charlie").

And then beware the fanatical Catholics heading out to shoot a bunch of people in retaliation!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• In Niger, crowds of angry Muslims decided to retaliate against an atheistic publication... by setting Christian churches on fire.

http://rt.com/news/223695-niger-church-protest-hebdo/
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          In Niger, crowds of angry Muslims decided to retaliate against an atheistic publication... by setting Christian churches on fire.
                          That's about the same mentality as the good people of Ferguson protesting the police by destroying their own neighborhood.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            In Niger, crowds of angry Muslims decided to retaliate against an atheistic publication... by setting Christian churches on fire.

http://rt.com/news/223695-niger-church-protest-hebdo/
                            As far as they're concerned, we're all infidels.

Comment