Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Practitioners of the "Religion of Peace" kill 12 in France for publishing cartoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    He drew cartoons.
    Yes, and? Cartoons can be powerful tools of opinion.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Rogue made it seem like he died on the front lines fighting al nusra. He drew cartoons (and rather amateurish looking ones at that).

Comment

Rogue made it seem like he died on the front lines fighting al nusra. He drew cartoons (and rather amateurish looking ones at that).
        They don't need the best art to convey the right message.

ETA: Not defending his works, just saying that I know of "amateur" level art that in the right cartoons sends a good message.
        Last edited by Cerebrum123; 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I would post some of the cartoons he drew on Christianity, but it would undoubtedly get censored here.

RIP

Comment

I agree he was right in his message against Islam, but the memorial aura that's forming does not distinguish clearly about that. It's just about how he was a free speaking hero in general. Uh, he was a major blasphemer too.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He drew cartoons.
              A dangerous occupation, by the looks of it.

In related news there's a video of them shooting one of the cops in the head while down/wounded and apparently wanting to surrender. The cop was a muslim (probably algerian), and the suspects are 3 algerian muslims.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                In related news there's a video of them shooting one of the cops in the head while down/wounded and apparently wanting to surrender. The cop was a muslim (probably algerian), and the suspects are 3 algerian muslims.
                If anything, Muslims are more enthusiastic about killing other muslims than anyone else.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/attent...1894787_23.php

Apparently they were identified by the IDs they left in their getaway car.

2 of them former Syrian fighters too.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

The ones we're funding. Damn, how ironic is that lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/attent...1894787_23.php

Apparently they were identified by the IDs they left in their getaway car.

2 of them former Syrian fighters too.
                      Thanks for the translation. I wonder if they intend to kill themselves? No other reason to leave one's ID behind that I can see in this situation. ..
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by seanD
                        You accused me of having a "long history" when it was one creepy incident on your part like years ago about a subject that isn't relevant to what I was arguing in this thread, idiot.
                        Could you two please continue your spat elsewhere?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Exactly. They can have a profound effect on public opinion.

To start look at Benjamin Franklin's famous "Join or Die" cartoon of a snake hacked into multiple pieces that he published in his Pennsylvania Gazette back in 1754. It was immensely influential in uniting colonial support for the French and Indian War and became an even more famous as a symbol of freedom promoting the cause of independence during the American Revolution. At the start of the American Civil War (sorry CP) it was used as a standard by some Northern troops and even today it is widely recognized and continues to be used as a symbol for unity

Another example is Thomas Nast's scathing cartoons in Harper's Weekly of William M. "Boss" Tweed and his cronies in Tammany Hall which are widely credited with cleaning up that nest of corruption (well, at least as much as any political center can be cleaned up of corruption). Tweed is reported to have said of Nast's cartoons:
                          "Stop them damned pictures. I don't care so much what the papers say about me. My constituents don't know how to read, but they can't help seeing them damned pictures!"

Another version reports the quote as
                          "Stop them damned pictures. I don't care a straw for your newspaper articles. My constituents can’t read. But they can't help seeing them damn pictures!"

As an aside when Tweed finally fell from power and sent to prison from which he escaped it was because of Nast's cartoons that he was recognized in Spain (where he fled to) and was re-arrested and sent back to prison.

The British satirical cartoonist James Gillray greatly influenced politics in Britain during the late 18th and early 19th century. He absolutely devastated the targets of his ridicule time and time again. His attacks on Napoleon caused him to fume that Gillray "did more than all the armies in Europe to bring me down.”

Over a century later another Brit, David Low (he was actually born in New Zealand and later moved to London) mercilessly satirized Hitler and Mussolini to the point that some historians say he played an important role in stemming the rise in popularity of Fascism in Britain. As a result his works were banned in both Germany and Italy and he was listed in the Nazi's "Sonderfahndungsliste G.B." (Special Search List G.B) which was the list of prominent Brits to be arrested upon the successful invasion of Britain.

Low was a harsh critic of appeasement which earned him the reputation of being a war monger by much of the British press but when war broke out he was vindicated (he would later be knighted). A major architect of Britain's appeasement policy, Edward Wood, the First Lord of Halifax and Foreign Secretary until 1940 complained to Low's publisher that
                          "You cannot imagine the frenzy that these cartoons cause. As soon as a copy of The Evening Standard arrives, it is poured over for [David] Low’s cartoon and if it is of Hitler, as it usually is, telephones buzz, temperatures rise, fevers mount, the whole governmental system of Germany is in an uproar. It has hardly subsided before the next one arrives."
                          Last edited by rogue06; 01-07-2015, 04:16 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thanks for the translation. I wonder if they intend to kill themselves? No other reason to leave one's ID behind that I can see in this situation. ..
                            The Syria part wasn't a translation, I got it from elsewhere, and it might yet be wrong. I find it hard to believe even dumb Europeans would let Syrian fighters back in so I probably shouldn't have posted it.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4612707,00.html

French police sources said that the two brothers are French citizens of Algerian descent who lived in the tenth district of Paris and it is suspected they had links with extremists in Syria and Iraq.
                            The young terrorist's nationality Murad still unknown.

Three terrorists has not been caught, but the French police had already reached their homes and conducted searches. French news website "Metro" reported that Sheriff Koashi known to the police. According to the website "Metro", Sharif was tried in 2005 for belonging to a network that sent jihadists to Iraq and called "Iraqi network of the 19th district of Paris"

Comment

On the MSNBC program (so nobody probably ever actually saw it) Morning Joe, hosted by Joe Scarborough, former Vermont Governor and Democrat presidential candidate Howard Dean made the following comments about the terror attack in Paris that resulted in the death of 12.
                              I stopped calling these people Muslim terrorists. They're about as Muslim as I am. I mean, they have no respect for anybody else's life, that's not what the Koran says. Europe has an enormous radical problem. I think ISIS is a cult. Not an Islamic cult. I think it's a cult.

Yeah they were just crying out "Allahu akbar!" (Arabic for "God is great") as they started shooting because that's what all the cool kids are doing today. And the fact that a video broadcast on French television shows one of the terrorists declaring that "We avenged the Prophet Muhammad! We killed Charlie Hebdo." doesn't mean anything and is merely a coincidence.

This continued insistence on political correctness is costing us dearly.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Reports coming in that the terrorists have either been caught or killed

Source: Paris Attack Suspect Dead, Two in Custody, U.S. Officials Say

One of the suspects in the Paris attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine has been killed and the two others are in custody, two senior U.S. counterterrorism officials told NBC News on Wednesday.

Authorities earlier had identified the three men as Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, both French and in their early 30s, and Hamyd Mourad, 18, whose nationality wasn't immediately clear.

One of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly discuss the investigation, told The Associated Press that the men were linked to a Yemeni terrorist network. Cherif Kouachi was convicted in 2008 of terrorism charges for helping funnel fighters to Iraq's insurgency and sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Twelve people were killed in the attack by gunmen, armed with AK-47s, who attacked the offices of Charlie Hebdo, a publication that has enraged Muslims for publishing cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

On their way in, they killed a maintenance worker, then stormed into an editorial meeting, where they killed eight journalists.

A source familiar with the investigation told NBC News that the men targeted those magazine employees who had created or published cartoons showing Muhammad — asking for their victims by name. They executed editor and cartoonist Stephane Charbonnier, popularly known as Charb; Bernard Maris, a Bank of France economist who was a columnist for the magazine; and three cartoonists.

A security officer and a guest were also gunned down. As they fled, they killed a second police officer. Eleven other people were injured, four of them critically, officials said.

Because the masked, black-clad gunmen attacked with militaristic precision and left the scene with shouts of "Allahu Akbar," the killers were suspected to be well-trained Islamic extremists.

Little information was immediately available about Mourad and Said Kouachi, but Cherif Kouachi has been suspected of involvement in terrorist groups for at least a decade. In January 2005, he and another French national were arrested in Paris as they were planning to fly to Iraq via Syria. Kouachi was described at the time as one of two deputies to the leader of an operation to send young volunteers to Iraq to fight U.S.-led forces.

Authorities linked the operation to the 19th Arrondissement Network, named for the Paris district where it was based, which is home to many Muslim families with roots in France's former North African colonies. Kouachi was convicted in 2008 and sentenced to three years in prison, 18 months of which were suspended.

The Associated Press quoted Cherif Kouachi in 2008 as saying he'd been motivated by outrage at images of torture of Iraqi inmates at the U.S. prison at Abu Ghraib. "I really believed in the idea," it quoted him as saying.

Source

Story continues at link above

© Copyright Original Source

Comment