Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Practitioners of the "Religion of Peace" kill 12 in France for publishing cartoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practitioners of the "Religion of Peace" kill 12 in France for publishing cartoons

Masked gunmen shouting "Allahu akbar!" stormed the Paris offices of a satirical newspaper Wednesday, killing 12 people before escaping. It was France's deadliest terror attack in at least two decades.

French President Francois Hollande called the attack on the Charlie Hebdo weekly, which has frequently drawn condemnation from Muslims, "a terrorist attack without a doubt" and said several other attacks have been thwarted in France "in recent weeks."

France raised its security alert to the highest level and reinforced security at houses of worship, stores, media offices and transportation. Top government officials were holding an emergency meeting and Hollande planned a nationally televised address in the evening.

A witness who works nearby, Benoit Bringer, told the iTele network he saw multiple masked men armed with automatic weapons at the newspaper's office in central Paris. The attackers went to the second floor and started firing indiscriminately in the newsroom, said Christophe DeLoire of Reporters Without Borders.

"This is the darkest day of the history of the French press," he said.

Luc Poignant, an official of the SBP police union, said the attackers left in a waiting car and later switched to another vehicle that had been stolen.

Paris prosecutor's spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre confirmed that 12 people were killed in the attack.

Video images on the website of public broadcaster France Televisions showed two gunmen in black at a crossroads who appeared to fire down one of the streets. A cry of "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great"— could be heard among the gunshots.

The extremist Islamic State group has threatened to attack France and minutes before the attack Charlie Hebdo had tweeted a satirical cartoon of that extremist group's leader giving New Year's wishes. The cartoon entitled "Still No Attacks in France" had a caricature of an extremist fighter saying "Just wait — we have until the end of January to present our New Year's wishes."

Charlie Hebdo has been repeatedly threatened for its caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad and other controversial sketches. Its offices were firebombed in 2011 after a spoof issue featuring a caricature of the prophet on its cover. Nearly a year later, the publication again published crude Muhammad caricatures, drawing denunciations from around the Muslim world.

link
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, but according to our president, those aren't real Muslims, so it's cool.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The solution is not to be cowed or offer any respect whatever but to drown them and their supporters in mockery and derision. My anger is inexpressible. The Mosque burning across Europe will start shortly because the politicians have proved themselves ineffective at dealing with radical Islam.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I would not be surprised if....

A) There was a retaliation against Muslims in America in the form of attacks on Muslims and/or their Mosques....
          2) That the Obama Justice Department would proactively and aggressively pursue the attackers as extremists, and not hesitate to label the acts "hate crimes".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

“I’d rather die on my feet than live on my knees.” -–Stephane “Charb” Charbonnier (1967 – 2015), publisher, Charlie Hebdo.

RIP

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Firstfloor
              The solution is not to be cowed or offer any respect whatever but to drown them and their supporters in mockery and derision. My anger is inexpressible. The Mosque burning across Europe will start shortly because the politicians have proved themselves ineffective at dealing with radical Islam.
              Originally posted by Cow Poke
              I would not be surprised if....
              A) There was a retaliation against Muslims in America in the form of attacks on Muslims and/or their Mosques....
              2) That the Obama Justice Department would proactively and aggressively pursue the attackers as extremists, and not hesitate to label the acts "hate crimes".
              Did ff and CP switch brains at some point? I usually expect the risible, slanderous, and fact-free stuff from ff, and the occasional human emotional responses from CP.

As far as my predictions go, A: haha and 2: Nope.

Comment

The gunmen are still on the loose, though a vehicle that may have been used as the getaway car was impounded.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  The solution is not to be cowed or offer any respect whatever but to drown them and their supporters in mockery and derision. My anger is inexpressible.
                  Last I checked they performed this attack because of the mocking and derision. The actual solution is to stop dredging the third world for every Muslim refuse you can find and shipping it to your country.

The Mosque burning across Europe will start shortly because the politicians have proved themselves ineffective at dealing with radical Islam.
                  Ineffective? They brought them there in part for the distraction and collapse of social cohesion. At what they actually do the politicians are very effective, and the French ones are particularly effective, probably because in spite of their reputation the French are actually quite easy to rile up and put on the warpath.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    “I’d rather die on my feet than live on my knees.” -–Stephane “Charb” Charbonnier (1967 – 2015), publisher, Charlie Hebdo.

RIP
                    He was also similarly critical of Christianity so I'm a little reluctant to jump on the heroism bandwagon that seems to be gaining steam.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      He was also similarly critical of Christianity so I'm a little reluctant to jump on the heroism bandwagon that seems to be gaining steam.
                      "Critical" is putting it mildly.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        I still admire someone that is willing to stand up for what he believed in this manner. That does not mean that I agree with what he believed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

cartoon.png

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3384[/ATTACH]
                            That's racist!!! It's all white!

Comment

I still admire someone that is willing to stand up for what he believed in this manner. That does not mean that I agree with what he believed.
                              He drew cartoons.

Comment