Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police chief said he shot wife moving gun in bed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police chief said he shot wife moving gun in bed.

What do pro-gun people here say to this news story? Is the story plausible? More likely a murder? Is sleeping with a gun under the pillow a common or recommended practice?

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f43bd...moving-gun-bed

ATLANTA (AP) — A police chief in Georgia told a 911 dispatcher he accidentally shot his sleeping wife while moving a handgun that was in their bed, according to a recording released Friday.

So you're suggesting we ban guns from cops too?
    Last edited by seanD; 01-03-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Let's ban guns just in case you shoot your wife by accident.

Comment

Knowing nothing about this story other than the above, I would have to say:

1. No.
        2. Yes.
        3. No.

A police chief should have a much better appreciation for gun safety.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Comment

Not enough info to go on, but I think keeping a loaded gun in a bed without even a safety or trigger guard is pretty foolish, especially for a police chief.

Comment

Smells to high heaven. Not info info to convict but danged suspicious and should be stringently investigated.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

He told 911 that he accidentally shot her twice but investigators say that she was shot once.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It was a semi-auto. It is incredibly stupid to sleep with a semi-auto under your pillow, or even as your self defense weapon near your bed.

To wake up from a dead sleep and handle a semi-auto is stupid --- there could be a round in the chamber, the safety could be off...

MUCH better to use a revolver or shotgun NOT under your pillow or in your bed. Something accessible, but that requires at least a few seconds of waking up so you know what you're doing.

Dumb!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    It was a semi-auto. It is incredibly stupid to sleep with a semi-auto under your pillow, or even as your self defense weapon near your bed.

To wake up from a dead sleep and handle a semi-auto is stupid --- there could be a round in the chamber, the safety could be off...

MUCH better to use a revolver or shotgun NOT under your pillow or in your bed. Something accessible, but that requires at least a few seconds of waking up so you know what you're doing.

Dumb!
                    I still like the M2 .50 heavy machine gun mounted on the footboard of my bed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Which is why we won't let you have ammunition after six pm...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Which is why we won't let you have ammunition after six pm...
                        It still amazes me how you think that old box of crayons that my niece colored with when she was still a girl and would visit was my ammunition

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          Knowing nothing about this story other than the above, I would have to say:

1. No.
                          2. Yes.
                          3. No.

A police chief should have a much better appreciation for gun safety.

Any police chief would know better than to do that. That is the really suspicious part of the story.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Any police chief would know better than to do that. That is the really suspicious part of the story.
                            As Teal said this whole thing smells to high heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              He told 911 that he accidentally shot her twice but investigators say that she was shot once.
                              That can easily happen when you're handling a semi-auto and you're not fully in control (as I suspect you fully realize).... the first shot loads another round and "cocks" the hammer, and if you don't have a good grip on the weapon, it's easy to "trigger bounce" a second or subsequent shots. Yet another reason a semi-auto is a really bad "bed gun".
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment