Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

2014: Year of the fainting couch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014: Year of the fainting couch

Source: New York Post

The fainting couch doesn’t have the same cachet it did in the 19th century, which is a shame, because it should be more in demand than at any time since the age of corsets and delicate sensibilities.

To put it in Victorian terms, 2014 had a case of the vapors. It was all aflutter. It needed smelling salts and a fan, and a good rest on a fainting couch to restore its bearings.

It was a year when the national pastime of taking offense and of fearing that someone might be offended reached such parodic levels that Kim Jong-un got in the act.

It used to be that, of all the groups and nations that one had to worry about offending, for politically correct or commercial reasons, the North Koreans simply didn’t rate.

The “Red Dawn” remake a couple of years ago featured cruel North Korean invaders. In last year’s “Olympus Has Fallen,” the White House is attacked and occupied by dastardly North Koreans.

But 2014 was the year, thanks to the hack of Sony Pictures in retaliation for the spoof movie “The Interview,” that even the North Koreans made the “do not offend” list.

It was the year that a scientist made an abject apology for wearing a shirt that offended feminists in a TV broadcast; that Amazon Prime put a label warning of racist content on “Tom and Jerry” cartoons; and that various news outlets refused to say the name of the NFL team from Washington on grounds that even uttering it made them complicit in rank offensiveness.

It was a year when the nation’s colleges and law schools cemented their reputations as places where easily offended children go for a few years to become slightly older easily offended children.

Colleges canceled appearances by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Condi Rice (who technically pulled out of her scheduled Rutgers commencement) and George Will for fear students might hear something they disagree with from a figure they object to.

The University of California at Irvine offered grief counseling (“in a constructive space”) for students upset at the grand-jury decision in the Ferguson case, and Occidental College brought in a religious counselor to comfort students who had volunteered for losing Democratic Senate campaigns.

An open letter from law students at Harvard upset at the nonindictments in the Ferguson and Eric Garner cases captured the spirit of the year, and deserves an honored place in the history of the rhetoric of plaint.

Its opening included the stirring declaration “We are in pain. And we are tired.” It went on to speak of how “traumatized” the students are (multiple times), and of their “distress” (multiple times).

It charged that the school’s indifference to “the mental health” of its students violates the Harvard Law School Handbook of Academic Policies.

The upshot was that the aggrieved students wanted the administration to offer them a collective pacifier. “We call,” the letter thundered, “for faculty to hold special office hours and for the administration to make culturally competent grief and trauma counselors available in the final weeks of the semester.”

It demanded more conversations about injustice “in safe spaces created by the administration.” And it expected students to be permitted to delay their exams — because what are the exertions of studying compared with satisfactions of wallowing in a precious self-pity?

The response to these students and their brethren at other elite law schools who made similar appeals should have been “Please, get a grip. If nothing else will buck you up, at least show a little self-respect.”

If this had been the mettle of the civil-rights movement, it would have collapsed in a puddle of helplessness not long after Rosa Parks was asked to give up her seat.

But that, for all its tragic failings, was a different era. It was before so much time and energy were invested in taking offense and coddling the offended. It was before the nation needed a fainting couch.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Let's hope we become a more serious nation in 2015. I won't hold my breath.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

2014 the year of altered reality.

Comment

I think 2014 was when the dams that held the Internet contained completely collapsed. Real life will increasingly resemble tumblr, 4chan, etc. as the people who grew up in the Internet jungle continue to spill into our reality like a pitch black miasma.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        Source: New York Post

The fainting couch doesn’t have the same cachet it did in the 19th century, which is a shame, because it should be more in demand than at any time since the age of corsets and delicate sensibilities.

To put it in Victorian terms, 2014 had a case of the vapors. It was all aflutter. It needed smelling salts and a fan, and a good rest on a fainting couch to restore its bearings.

It was a year when the national pastime of taking offense and of fearing that someone might be offended reached such parodic levels that Kim Jong-un got in the act.

It used to be that, of all the groups and nations that one had to worry about offending, for politically correct or commercial reasons, the North Koreans simply didn’t rate.

The “Red Dawn” remake a couple of years ago featured cruel North Korean invaders. In last year’s “Olympus Has Fallen,” the White House is attacked and occupied by dastardly North Koreans.

But 2014 was the year, thanks to the hack of Sony Pictures in retaliation for the spoof movie “The Interview,” that even the North Koreans made the “do not offend” list.

It was the year that a scientist made an abject apology for wearing a shirt that offended feminists in a TV broadcast; that Amazon Prime put a label warning of racist content on “Tom and Jerry” cartoons; and that various news outlets refused to say the name of the NFL team from Washington on grounds that even uttering it made them complicit in rank offensiveness.

It was a year when the nation’s colleges and law schools cemented their reputations as places where easily offended children go for a few years to become slightly older easily offended children.

Colleges canceled appearances by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Condi Rice (who technically pulled out of her scheduled Rutgers commencement) and George Will for fear students might hear something they disagree with from a figure they object to.

The University of California at Irvine offered grief counseling (“in a constructive space”) for students upset at the grand-jury decision in the Ferguson case, and Occidental College brought in a religious counselor to comfort students who had volunteered for losing Democratic Senate campaigns.

An open letter from law students at Harvard upset at the nonindictments in the Ferguson and Eric Garner cases captured the spirit of the year, and deserves an honored place in the history of the rhetoric of plaint.

Its opening included the stirring declaration “We are in pain. And we are tired.” It went on to speak of how “traumatized” the students are (multiple times), and of their “distress” (multiple times).

It charged that the school’s indifference to “the mental health” of its students violates the Harvard Law School Handbook of Academic Policies.

The upshot was that the aggrieved students wanted the administration to offer them a collective pacifier. “We call,” the letter thundered, “for faculty to hold special office hours and for the administration to make culturally competent grief and trauma counselors available in the final weeks of the semester.”

It demanded more conversations about injustice “in safe spaces created by the administration.” And it expected students to be permitted to delay their exams — because what are the exertions of studying compared with satisfactions of wallowing in a precious self-pity?

The response to these students and their brethren at other elite law schools who made similar appeals should have been “Please, get a grip. If nothing else will buck you up, at least show a little self-respect.”

If this had been the mettle of the civil-rights movement, it would have collapsed in a puddle of helplessness not long after Rosa Parks was asked to give up her seat.

But that, for all its tragic failings, was a different era. It was before so much time and energy were invested in taking offense and coddling the offended. It was before the nation needed a fainting couch.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Let's hope we become a more serious nation in 2015. I won't hold my breath.
        Wouldn't someone who trivializes all those aforementioned issues actually be hoping that the nation becomes less serious, rather than more?
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          Wouldn't someone who trivializes all those aforementioned issues actually be hoping that the nation becomes less serious, rather than more?
          I must be tired because I think what you said just flew over my head. Please explain?
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I think 2014 was when the dams that held the Internet contained completely collapsed. Real life will increasingly resemble tumblr, 4chan, etc. as the people who grew up in the Internet jungle continue to spill into our reality like a pitch black miasma.
            A fear I hope is never realized. But it probably will be.

Comment

I must be tired because I think what you said just flew over my head. Please explain?
              It seemed to me that the author was saying that people were taking things too seriously, which implies that the author would want people to take things less seriously, which is the opposite of what you said you hoped.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                It seemed to me that the author was saying that people were taking things too seriously, which implies that the author would want people to take things less seriously, which is the opposite of what you said you hoped.
                Uh, I don't think so? The author was lamenting that trivial things were being taken too seriously. I agreed and hope that our nation gets over the trivial and become more serious about the things that really matter. I guess I wasn't clear.

Comment

Uh, I don't think so? The author was lamenting that trivial things were being taken too seriously. I agreed and hope that our nation gets over the trivial and become more serious about the things that really matter. I guess I wasn't clear.
                  I understood you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I understood you.
                    Thank you MossRose. I hope you and everyone here had a great Christmas!

Comment

Thank you MossRose. I hope you and everyone here had a great Christmas!

And you?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And you?
                        Pretty good here too . Feels like each year it gets busier though.

Comment

Pretty good here too . Feels like each year it gets busier though.
                          And over in a flash.

Comment

And over in a flash.
                            Indeed I have noticed that as well. Busier and quicker. Can't believe the year is almost over already.

Comment

Okay. So the issue is that you don't think those particular things matter. I agree that some responses were unnecessary and unwarranted, such as pulling "The Interview" (although from what I've heard, it would've been better off for audiences to have never watched it in the first place--not a particularly great film) and asking to be exempted from exams because of the non-indictments. But I also believe the author took an unnecessarily flippant tone, and that, well, some issues actually do matter. There's a way to make the point while also showing some compassion and understanding.

Comment