Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

To Protect and to Serve --- LESS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Protect and to Serve --- LESS!!!!

The unintended consequence of this backlash against cops could well result in higher crime rates in the areas that need policing the most.

Source: NYPost

With cops on edge following the assassination of two patrol officers on a Brooklyn street, many officers have started turning a blind eye to some minor crimes, sources told The Post, while a union mandate that two patrol cars respond to all police calls has led to slower response times to non-emergencies.

“I’m not writing any summonses. Do you think I’m going to stand there so someone can shoot me or hit me in the head with an ax?” One cop said Sunday, referring to the Dec. 20 slayings and another recent attack on the NYPD.

“I’m concerned about my safety,” the cop added. “I want to go to home to my wife and kids.”

An NYPD supervisor noted, “My guys are writing almost no summonses, and probably only making arrests when they have to — like when a store catches a shoplifter."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

So with the unfortunate killings of two Police officers, the criminals are already winning.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      So with the unfortunate killings of two Police officers, the criminals are already winning.
      Yup, and the ones who need protection the most are getting duped into siding with idiots like Al Sharpton who only look out for themselves.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The public is getting what they wanted. Of course, now they will complain that the police are not doing their job.

Comment

With all due respect to Cow Poke and the op:

Don't forget...there has already been judicial rulings that state that the Police are not 'obligated' to protect anyone.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

Don't forget...there has already been judicial rulings that state that the Police are not 'obligated' to protect anyone.
              Hmmmm... hadn't heard that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Hmmmm... hadn't heard that.
                A quick search turned this up:

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHART...#axzz3NKEbOLjZ

If these facts are correct then...he's correct....
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  A quick search turned this up:

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHART...#axzz3NKEbOLjZ

If these facts are correct then...he's correct....
                  Ah, OK... basically what I suspected. Kind of a "hold blameless" clause to keep municipalities from being sued when cops DON'T respond. But not actually a practical expectation that they won't.

Comment

Cops don't prevent crime anyway, a gun does. They're usually just there to mop up the aftermath.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Cops don't prevent crime anyway, a gun does. They're usually just there to mop up the aftermath.
                      "There have been a number of recent articles suggesting that crime rates are related to policing. Actually, the two are unrelated. Most crimes are either founded in economics or in misdirected emotion."

No.

"Thus there is no relationship between "good police work" and crime."

Suer there is. Good police work = criminal in prison, where commiting crimes is a lot harder.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The public is getting what they wanted. Of course, now they will complain that the police are not doing their job.
                        It really is part of a vicious cycle that has been going on for years. Now will come complaints that the police don't provide services in poorer neighborhoods and demands will increase for more policing. When they comply the complaint will be that the police are "hassling" everyone and demands will increase for them to scale back enforcement. And over and over.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

Yup. On December 21, 1981 the U.S. Supreme Court held in Warren v. District of Columbia that neither the city nor police could be held liable for failure of police to respond properly to a request from victims for protection from attackers. Legally speaking the police are supposed to enforce the laws not provide protection despite slogans about "Protect and Serve."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It really is part of a vicious cycle that has been going on for years. Now will come complaints that the police don't provide services in poorer neighborhoods and demands will increase for more policing. When they comply the complaint will be that the police are "hassling" everyone and demands will increase for them to scale back enforcement. And over and over.
                            My wife and I have been watching Blue Bloods, beginning with Season 1 Episode 1. It's amazing how "current" those old shows are, almost like the current situation is acting out the scripts of the shows that aired YEARS ago. So, yeah... a vicious cycle that has been going on and on...

Comment