Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Workplace Violence, JV Team and Cybervandalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace Violence, JV Team and Cybervandalism

I'm wondering how many of our Posters still think Obama is competent as a Commander in Chief.

Even CNN seems to be surprised at his latest aversion to calling things what they are....

Obama: North Korea's hack not war, but 'cybervandalism'

Source: CNN

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama says he doesn't consider North Korea's hack of Sony Pictures "an act of war."

"It was an act of cybervandalism," Obama said in an interview with CNN's Candy Crowley that aired Sunday on "State of the Union."

Obama said that the United States is going review whether to put North Korea back on a list of states that sponsor terrorism.

"We've got very clear criteria as to what it means for a state to sponsor terrorism. And we don't make those judgments just based on the news of the day," he said. "We look systematically at what's been done and based on those facts, we'll make those determinations in the future."

© Copyright Original Source

Personally, I don't have a problem with NOT calling the attack on Sony "an act of war", but "cyberwarfare" is not, in my opinion, generally assumed to be "an act of war".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

While not quite at war-level status, isn't "cyberbullying" a little closer to the mark?

Comment

I haven't heard anything about "workplace violence." Been busy.

Now if y'all want to think of some muslim terrorists as a "varsity" team, knock yourself out, though I can easily recall a time not so long ago when that would have been considered aid and comfort to the enemy. I guess the whole whacking the commander in chief in a time of war only counts if your president isn't a member of the other party.

"Cybervandalism" sounds pretty accurate to me. Cyberwarfare on the other hand, well, Sony isn't a government institution ... in fact ... well, y'all do know Sony isn't an American company, right?

Is there some more competent-y term you'd rather he was using? For that matter, is there some incompetence, as in, actual incompetence instead of the usual facts-'r'-irrelevant huff-and-blow, I've been missing?

Unemployment's down to 5.8, up 300,000 in November versus red-lining at -700,000 a month when he first took office, and versus Romney's promise to bring it to 6 percent by the end of his first term.

Deficit? What deficit?
      The final numbers for 2014 announced yesterday by the U.S. Treasury show the federal deficit for the fiscal year that just ended did indeed fall as precipitously as I previously reported. As the report shows, the actual 2014 deficit was $483 billion, $3 billion less than what the Congressional Budget Office estimated a week ago.

For the record, $483 billion is $197 billion below the almost $680 billion deficit recorded in 2013. It’s also $930 billion, that is, close to $1 trillion, less than the largely recession-caused $1.4 trillion deficit in 2009. (Attention trolls: the Congressional Budget Office projected in early 2009, that is, before the start of the Obama administration, that, because of the recession, the deficit that year would be $1.2 trillion.)

In dollar terms, 2014 was the lowest federal deficit since 2008. And in the category most important to economists – the deficit as a percent of Gross Domestic Product – the 2014 deficit was 2.8 percent of GDP, the smallest since 2007.

What else? Hmm ...

Out of Iraq.

Nearly out of Afghanistan.

Whittling away at Guantamo.

S&P 500's up over 30 percent this year.

Oil's glutting.

Climate deal with China.

Normalizing with Cuba.

Putin and Tehran whining about international sanctions on Russia and Iran.

America isn't an international embarrassment any more.

I have to admit he hasn't managed to budge the rabid right demo, but if a Republican president had managed half that ... I'm beginning to think that's the real problem: Envy that it wasn't a Bush that managed all that.

But here's a silver lining. Bush wasn't really a Texan to begin with.

Wasn't much of a Republican either.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Fort Hood shootings.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now if y'all want to think of some muslim terrorists as a "varsity" team
          Thinking that it's DUMB to call them JV does NOT mean they should be called "varsity".

Comment

Now if y'all want to think of some muslim terrorists as a "varsity" team, knock yourself out, though I can easily recall a time not so long ago when that would have been considered aid and comfort to the enemy. I guess the whole whacking the commander in chief in a time of war only counts if your president isn't a member of the other party.

"Cybervandalism" sounds pretty accurate to me. Cyberwarfare on the other hand, well, Sony isn't a government institution ... in fact ... well, y'all do know Sony isn't an American company, right?

Is there some more competent-y term you'd rather he was using? For that matter, is there some incompetence, as in, actual incompetence instead of the usual facts-'r'-irrelevant huff-and-blow, I've been missing?

Unemployment's down to 5.8, up 300,000 in November versus red-lining at -700,000 a month when he first took office, and versus Romney's promise to bring it to 6 percent by the end of his first term.

Deficit? What deficit?
            The final numbers for 2014 announced yesterday by the U.S. Treasury show the federal deficit for the fiscal year that just ended did indeed fall as precipitously as I previously reported. As the report shows, the actual 2014 deficit was $483 billion, $3 billion less than what the Congressional Budget Office estimated a week ago.

For the record, $483 billion is $197 billion below the almost $680 billion deficit recorded in 2013. It’s also $930 billion, that is, close to $1 trillion, less than the largely recession-caused $1.4 trillion deficit in 2009. (Attention trolls: the Congressional Budget Office projected in early 2009, that is, before the start of the Obama administration, that, because of the recession, the deficit that year would be $1.2 trillion.)

In dollar terms, 2014 was the lowest federal deficit since 2008. And in the category most important to economists – the deficit as a percent of Gross Domestic Product – the 2014 deficit was 2.8 percent of GDP, the smallest since 2007.

What else? Hmm ...

Out of Iraq.

Nearly out of Afghanistan.

Whittling away at Guantamo.

S&P 500's up over 30 percent this year.

Oil's glutting.

Climate deal with China.

Normalizing with Cuba.

Putin and Tehran whining about international sanctions on Russia and Iran.

America isn't an international embarrassment any more.

I have to admit he hasn't managed to budge the rabid right demo, but if a Republican president had managed half that ... I'm beginning to think that's the real problem: Envy that it wasn't a Bush that managed all that.

But here's a silver lining. Bush wasn't really a Texan to begin with.

Wasn't much of a Republican either.
            Out of curiosity (though I can imagine how you might respond), how would you define "rabid right demo"?
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Thinking that it's DUMB to call them JV does NOT mean they should be called "varsity".
              Calling it dumb, with or without the all-caps "drama queening," generally means you've got something smarter to substitute. But like most of your ObamaOCD'ing, "there's no there there." Positive gets ignored, and negative gets promoted even when contradicted by facts.

Benghazi.
              IRS.
              Birth Certificate.

Wolf.

Heard that too many times before. Hard to keep paying attention by now. But I'm also pretty much out of time. January is coming soon and I'll be done here.

Bless ya, CP. Most ways, you're still my favorite online country preacher.

Comment

Calling it dumb, with or without the all-caps "drama queening," generally means you've got something smarter to substitute.
                You already said it, Jesse ---- they're Muslim terrorists. Don't you remember that part?

Now if y'all want to think of some muslim terrorists as a "varsity" team...

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  Out of curiosity (though I can imagine how you might respond), how would you define "rabid right demo"?
                  Mountain Man is a frothingly good example. CP's close, but not so much, and I suspect it's situational. You, not much at all from what I've seen.

But we've all got some rabid right in us.

If only we could all be as perfect as my hair.

Comment

Mountain Man is a frothingly good example. CP's close, but not so much, and I suspect it's situational. You, not much at all from what I've seen.

But we've all got some rabid right in us.

If only we could all be as perfect as my hair.
                    I'm really not sure what to make of this. Thanks...I guess.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

You already said it, Jesse ---- they're Muslim terrorists. Don't you remember that part?
                      JV's an analogy. If you think it's dumb, then you should be able to come up with an analogy that's smarter.

Cause otherwise, you're just shooting off on using analogies.

And well, that would be pretty dumb.

Comment

JV's an analogy. If you think it's dumb, then you should be able to come up with an analogy that's smarter.
                        Jesse, when somebody says something dumb, that didn't need saying, it is not the responsibility of the listener to write his speeches.

The clear implication was that they were not a serious threat. That's just dumb, as history has shown.

Comment

I could bail out CP but... naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Jesse, when somebody says something dumb, that didn't need saying, it is not the responsibility of the listener to write his speeches.
                            No, it's not your responsibility to write his speeches. But if you're going to critique his speeches, you need to up the game a bit from "it's dumb 'cause I said so." That's white noise. It's not as if you've praised anything Obama's said or done as being bright. The scale of the threat is important, which calls "didn't need saying" into question. Or more plainly, that's just ...

Nah, just poking ya, CP.

The clear implication was that they were not a serious threat. That's just dumb, as history has shown.
                            "As history has shown" is hand-waving.

Did I miss another 9/11, or a Lockerbie bombing, or another hole in the side of the USS Cole?

Let's be clear. We're not talking about a threat to us. We're talking about a threat to Syria. We're not talking about history; we're talking about current events.

And within Syria, right now, yeah, they're the JV. They were pushed into Iraq by the varsity squad. Their weapons and wealth are all stolen; they don't make anything themselves. What's left is buying and selling, which they're going to find increasingly difficult in their bombed out buildings under the sights of drone pilots who go home for dinner in North Dakota. They're not sustainable.

Their leader is a megalomaniac who thinks he's the next Caliph.

He's not all that. He's not even the bag of chips.

Somebody should say so.

Maybe the president.

Comment

No, it's not your responsibility to write his speeches.
                              Thanks

Comment