Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mrs. Bathhouse Barack: asking me to grab something off a shelf is racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Uh...you were the one who said it "involved subservience."
    Ah, my bad. Edited for clarification. I don't believe it involved subservience in actuality, but I can see how someone might interpret it that way.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
      This is exactly my reading here. A shorter woman, who didn't recognize her, very politely asked her for help. Yes, this happens all the time. No, there's nothing racist or subservient about it. Nor does it seem Michelle expected royal treatment, or even expected to be recognized. She's saying what several here are saying - people get help from others in stores all the time, it's an everyday normal experience.
      for the benefit of the doubt, it could be that People magazine didn't clearly delineate the excepts. It was a bit from an article, not the entire article. I could be they just mistakenly put Michelle's story right next to the bit about Prez Obama being mistaken for a valet. Her story alone, doesn't really say she thought the incident was racist or that she was offended by being asked to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        for the benefit of the doubt, it could be that People magazine didn't clearly delineate the excepts. It was a bit from an article, not the entire article. I could be they just mistakenly put Michelle's story right next to the bit about Prez Obama being mistaken for a valet. Her story alone, doesn't really say she thought the incident was racist or that she was offended by being asked to help.

No, she just put the worst spin possible on it and brought it up in the same 30 minute conversation that was headlined "How we deal with our own Racist Experiences."

You seriously this dense?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post

No, she just put the worst spin possible on it and brought it up in the same 30 minute conversation that was headlined "How we deal with our own Racist Experiences."

You seriously this dense?
          I was trying to see if there might be a mistake. Her words were:

"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."

Maybe she wasn't trying to say the woman was racist, but that everyone else was because nobody else approached her but this woman.

Who knows?

Comment

I was trying to see if there might be a mistake. Her words were:

"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."

Maybe she wasn't trying to say the woman was racist, but that everyone else was because nobody else approached her but this woman.

Who knows?
            Or maybe she was saying nobody wanted to have anything to do with her except this woman who needed help with something totally non-Michelle.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Interesting that when I politely post something to Sparko, he responds with personal attacks and bile and is seemingly hell-bent on portraying Michelle Obama as a stuck-up, snobby woman, but when Epoetker throws a personal attack at Sparko, he responds politely and expresses open-mindedness. I guess the key to facilitating reasonable dialogue with Sparko is to insult him.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                Interesting that when I politely post something to Sparko, he responds with personal attacks and bile and is seemingly hell-bent on portraying Michelle Obama as a stuck-up, snobby woman, but when Epoetker throws a personal attack at Sparko, he responds politely and expresses open-mindedness. I guess the key to facilitating reasonable dialogue with Sparko is to insult him.
                You haven't grown on Sparko like you've grown on me.

Besides, Sparko is a poopiehead of the lowest order, why would you want him to be nice to you?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think you got that pretty much covered.

I was actually trying to help you out with my posts, giving her the benefit of the doubt. But I guess you are more interested in arguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    You haven't grown on Sparko like you've grown on me.

Besides, Sparko is a poopiehead of the lowest order, why would you want him to be nice to you?
                    I don't recall asking you for help, bovine prodder.

Comment

I don't recall asking you for help, bovine prodder.
                      But, you were all alone there in Target, and nobody else was coming near you!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        But, you were all alone there in Target, and nobody else was coming near you!
                        I don't go to Target. I have enough of them on my back already.

Comment

I think you got that pretty much covered.

I was actually trying to help you out with my posts, giving her the benefit of the doubt. But I guess you are more interested in arguing.
                          Oh please. Would they even be in Target in disguise trying to prove they are ordinary people like Michelle was doing? If they were, they would have been treated the same way. She was upset because she wasn't treated like royalty even though she was pretending not to be the First Lady. Boo-hoo.

sheesh SP do you EVER get out of your mom's basement and go into the real world?

Square_pegs law: No matter what position conservatives take, take the opposite one and never admit you were wrong.

Yeah, in light of soundbites like those I'm not particularly convinced.

Comment

Oh please. Would they even be in Target in disguise trying to prove they are ordinary people like Michelle was doing? If they were, they would have been treated the same way. She was upset because she wasn't treated like royalty even though she was pretending not to be the First Lady. Boo-hoo.

sheesh SP do you EVER get out of your mom's basement and go into the real world?

Square_pegs law: No matter what position conservatives take, take the opposite one and never admit you were wrong.

Yeah, in light of soundbites like those I'm not particularly convinced.
                            And I posted my benefit of the doubt to Phank, not Epo

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post135208

But you are proving that you are just looking for something to argue about, even when I post something you might agree with. Oh well.

Comment