Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mrs. Bathhouse Barack: asking me to grab something off a shelf is racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michelle Obama:

Target employees:

Isn't there a folktale or two thousand about the princess who goes out in the real world disguised and gets shocked that people don't treat her like a princess?

Actually, it's nothing even that timeless, the Obamas are simply telling the truth to one set of people and the Higher Truth to a different set:

To Letterman:

Originally posted by Michelle Obama
    "That’s my Target run. I went to Target," she said. "I thought I was undercover. I have to tell you something about this trip though. No one knew that was me because a woman actually walked up to me, right? I was in the detergent aisle, and she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘Excuse me, I just have to ask you something,’ and I thought, ‘Oh, cover’s blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not.”

As the audience laughed, she went on, “And the only thing she said — I reached up, ’cause she was short, and I reached up, pulled it down — she said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy.’ That was my interaction. I felt so good. ... She had no idea who I was. I thought, as soon as she walked up — I was with my assistant, and I said, ‘This is it, it’s over. We’re going to have to leave.’ She just needed the detergent.”
    To People Magazine:

Originally posted by Michelle Obama
    "I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."
    So it's not anything surprising or unexpected. They're liberals-they'll be nice and personable and sensible about everyday events one minute, while casually slandering you as racists in public about the same everyday events the next minute. This is why any feel-good threads they make are nothing but contemptible damage control and false fronts, that should be laughed off by all respectable people the moment they crop up.

Comment

Black people would not be so sensitive to racism unless there was a history of racism to feed that sensitivity. It is ridiculous that white conservatives think that the effects of their prejudice and the anxiety it produces can be turned off like a tap. That is to say that you cannot deconstruct racism to individual incidents because it is much more like the air you breathe in the way it permeates everything you think and do. Racism will slowly disappear as rates of intermarriage increase and your white daughters are producing ‘black’ grandchildren.
      Last edited by firstfloor; 12-18-2014, 04:01 AM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Being five foot sixteen inches tall I am commonly approached by people in stores asking for help reaching items on top shelves.

In your case they're probably Loss Prevention wanting to see you stretch so they can see if you stuffed any merchandise in your pants.
        Momma said there'd be days like this. As long as we both shall live.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          I don't recall any other First Lady being asked such a thing, though.
          Maybe they just didn't pitch a pity party over it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            I can not speak for Darth, but I simply expressed a feeling of the attitude both of the Obamas have shown. I did not mean it as a serious suggestion. It was just an interpretation of what I think her attitude is. And I stand by it, glare or not.
            A glare from SP is like a day with crispy bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Black people would not be so sensitive to racism unless there was a history of racism to feed that sensitivity. It is ridiculous that white conservatives think that the effects of their prejudice and the anxiety it produces can be turned off like a tap. That is to say that you cannot deconstruct racism to individual incidents because it is much more like the air you breathe in the way it permeates everything you think and do. Racism will slowly disappear as rates of intermarriage increase and your white daughters are producing ‘black’ grandchildren.
              Yeah, that. Now this is how you make cogent, polite comments without coming off as trolling.

Unless, of course, you somehow were trolling by making this accurate statement, in which case: Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              A glare from SP is like a day with crispy bacon.
              My glare is so piercing that if I looked at a cow through a magnifying glass I'd instantly turn it into steak.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

It is ridiculous that white conservatives think that the effects of their prejudice and the anxiety it produces can be turned off like a tap.
                No, what's ridiculous is that anyone on planet earth could think that being asked by a person shorter than they are to reach something high up is racism.

Racism will slowly disappear as rates of intermarriage increase and your white daughters are producing ‘black’ grandchildren.
                Yeah, that's totally gonna happen.

Also, nice implication that the only people who are ever the target of racism are black people.
                Last edited by Meta Knight; 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

How dare someone actually treat her like an ordinary shopper? In an ordinary department store!

Heaven forbid.

If I need help with something in a store, I sometimes will ask anyone near me, knowing that it would take more time to go look for an employee. People ask me for help too. Even short women!

This just shows how disconnected the Obamas are from real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                    To Letterman:

That’s my Target run. I went to Target," she said. "I thought I was undercover. I have to tell you something about this trip though. No one knew that was me because a woman actually walked up to me, right? I was in the detergent aisle, and she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘Excuse me, I just have to ask you something,’ and I thought, ‘Oh, cover’s blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not.”

As the audience laughed, she went on, “And the only thing she said — I reached up, ’cause she was short, and I reached up, pulled it down — she said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy.’ That was my interaction. I felt so good. ... She had no idea who I was. I thought, as soon as she walked up — I was with my assistant, and I said, ‘This is it, it’s over. We’re going to have to leave.’ She just needed the detergent.”
                    I've been saying for a long time that Michelle is the true evil in the presidential family. I wouldn't be surprised if Barack was a voodoo corpse she guided with eldritch powers, like in Dead Silence.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Black people would not be so sensitive to racism unless there was a history of racism to feed that sensitivity.
                      Or they're not that sensitive to racism and just lie because it gets whitie to grovel. Judging by the info Epo dug up that seems to be the case in this instance.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Calling people evil isn't very nice. How about... incompetent!
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          She lobbied for partial birth abortion. Michelle Obama is so evil even Roseanne Barr couldn't stomach her.

Comment

Huh. Don't know how people could think partial birth abortion is okay. How could you be so willfully stupid!
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

She's not stupid, she's evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                Dishonestly and deliberately intimating that any random white people are inveterate oppressors, in a national publication, after Ferguson, is definitely evil.

Comment