Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Rise Of Nationalism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise Of Nationalism?

Who didn't see this coming? When the government allows waves of immigrants into a country who refuse to assimilate what other recourse do the citizens have?

Its members have been dubbed the “pinstriped Nazis” and they refer to their demonstrations as “evening strolls” through German cities. But on Monday night, an estimated 15,000 people joined Pegida, or Patriotic Europeans Against Islamisation of the West, in a march through Dresden carrying banners bearing slogans such as “Zero tolerance towards criminal asylum seekers”, “Protect our homeland” and “Stop the Islamisation”.

Lutz Bachmann, the head of Pegida, a nascent anti-foreigner campaign group, led the crowds, either waving or draped in German flags, in barking chants of “Wir sind das Volk”, or “We are the people”, the slogan adopted by protesters in the historic “Monday demonstrations” against the East German government in the runup to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Associating themselves with the freedom demonstrations has given Pegida protests an air of moral respectability even though there are hundreds of rightwing extremists in their midst, as well as established groups of hooligans who are known to the police, according to Germany’s federal office for the protection of the constitution.

“The instigators are unmistakably rightwing extremists,” a federal spokesman said.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...many-far-right
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

One thing I've always wanted to establish: Is there a difference between patriotism and nationalism?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      One thing I've always wanted to establish: Is there a difference between patriotism and nationalism?
      Patriotism is when you do it. Nationalism is when "they" do it.

Seriously, for all practical matters there seems to be a very blurry boundary there.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Patriotism is when you do it. Nationalism is when "they" do it.

Seriously, for all practical matters there seems to be a very blurry boundary there.
        Yes, there may be a fine line.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

It is not surprising that people in Germany are alarmed by the Islamification of their country. What they do about it is another matter.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It is not surprising that people in Germany are alarmed by the Islamification of their country. What they do about it is another matter.
            That's the point - the politicians don't seem to be to be listening to the people.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              That's the point - the politicians don't seem to be to be listening to the people.
              Yeah, there seems to be a lot of that going around.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe we can make some educated guesses based on historical precedent.

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

And they wonder why the people are upset!

BERLIN — With visible and vocal far-right protests against foreigners swelling in Germany in recent weeks, Chancellor Angela Merkel forcefully denounced the demonstrations on Monday, affirming that the country has both a special obligation and a desire to welcome anyone in need of sanctuary.

More than 150,000 people sought asylum in Germany in the first 11 months of this year, many of them refugees fleeing the conflict in Syria, straining the country’s ability to house them. In addition, a looming labor shortage means Germany is increasingly attracting immigrants to work here.

There is freedom of assembly in Germany but there is no place here for incitement and lies about people who come to us from other countries,” Ms. Merkel told reporters on Monday, hours before a group opposing alleged “Islamization” held its ninth weekly protest in Dresden, where attendance has swelled from a few hundred to 15,000 this week.
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/wo...ies-swell.html

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Maybe we can make some educated guesses based on historical precedent.
                    A Merry Christmas to you, DE.

Comment

A Merry Christmas to you, DE.
                      Christmas isn't for another 8 days. Although you're not as bad as my radio, it thinks Christmas starts in the middle of November.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

affirming that the country has both a special obligation and a desire to welcome anyone in need of sanctuary.
                        Never has been a more appropriate response. She speaks only for herself and those whom she has a 'special obligation' to.

When I hear of the plan to house them all in her private home and and the EU headquarters, I may consider listening to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Christmas isn't for another 8 days. Although you're not as bad as my radio, it thinks Christmas starts in the middle of November.
                          Walmart thinks it starts the day after Halloween.

Comment

Walmart thinks it starts the day after Halloween.
                            There's the 12 days...

(I know, I know, Christmas to Epiphany)
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Who didn't see this coming? When the government allows waves of immigrants into a country who refuse to assimilate what other recourse do the citizens have?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...many-far-right
                              We've had waves of immigrants into western countries for decades. I think it has more to do with the economic woes western countries are going through, especially the EU. EU is on the brink of economic meltdown so this is very typical. In economic crisis, scapegoats abound, especially racial tension.

Comment