Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas to Consider Open Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas to Consider Open Carry

I'm not sure I like this idea at all, but thanks to Wendy Davis' run for Governor of Texas, Texas is much more red, and there are a number of bills under consideration to make Texas an "Open Carry" state.

We already have "Concealed Carry" licenses available to qualified individuals, and the "open carry" would similarly be licensed, but you'd be able to carry a gun out in the open in most places. I'd assume they'd still apply the "51 rule", but I haven't actually seen the bills.

An odd argument, however, is that the second amendment should not be restricted because the first amendment is not. In other words, since we have freedom of speech (with the obvious caveat that you can't yell fie in a crowded theater) you shouldn't have any restrictions on carrying firearms. If that's actually the argument, then there wouldn't even be licenses required to carry concealed OR open, because there's no "license" necessary for free speech.

I already "open carry" occasionally on my own property, which is totally legal, particularly when I'm working cattle, or back away from the house. (snakes, coyotes, wild hogs, etc)

The current state of open carry in Texas can be found here. Long guns (shotguns and rifles) are already legal to be carried openly, as long as you don't carry them in a threatening or menacing manner.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Denmark doesn't allow weapons so I have few intuitions about them, other than that they're dangerous and kinda look cool and shouldn't be pointed at people unless you want them dead.

So... mind explaining to my Open Carry laws might be a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Denmark doesn't allow weapons so I have few intuitions about them, other than that they're dangerous and kinda look cool and shouldn't be pointed at people unless you want them dead.

So... mind explaining to my Open Carry laws might be a bad idea?
      I'm sorting through my own reactions to it...

On the one hand, a robber is much less likely to rob a store, I'd think, if he saw customers or even merchants wearing guns. On the other hand, it might make it much easier for a bad guy to grab a gun from somebody who was "open carrying" one.

As a police officer, I was ALWAYS mindful of the fact that a bad guy could grab my gun, and NOT be bound by the same restrictions I am in using it.

Those are just some initial thoughts.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        On the one hand, a robber is much less likely to rob a store, I'd think, if he saw customers or even merchants wearing guns. On the other hand, it might make it much easier for a bad guy to grab a gun from somebody who was "open carrying" one.
        Yikes, didn't think of that.

Comment

I figured if you have a concealed permit and you walk into a place that says no concealed weapons, in some locations if you have them out in the open, its fine. However, I do not like the unspoken "open carry" simply because there are plenty of idiots. I personally would have no problem banning types or groups of deadly weapons with exceptions for hunters who underwent VERY EXTENSIVE finger printing and background checks including types of violent mental illness diagnosis for certain weapons. I just don't want a violent weapon in the hands of a person with the propensity for violence.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Just off the top of my head - concealed carry would leave a potential bad guy more careful. Open carry would leave him someone to take into account in doing his bad stuff.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Just off the top of my head - concealed carry would leave a potential bad guy more careful. Open carry would leave him someone to take into account in doing his bad stuff.
              Yeah, that's definitely a factor. If somebody is going to rob a place, and sees a guy with a gun on his hip, he knows he needs to shoot him first if he's determined to carry off his robbery.

Comment

We have a young man that comes over to visit our kids who open carries.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  We have a young man that comes over to visit our kids who open carries.
                  In some states it's legal. People are surprised that it's not in Texas.

Comment

We have open carry in AK but I can only remember one time seeing someone OC anywhere besides the bush. Neither have I heard any bad things happening because of it.
                    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                      We have open carry in AK but I can only remember one time seeing someone OC anywhere besides the bush. Neither have I heard any bad things happening because of it.
                      Your state is bigger -- ours has a lot more people in closer proximity.

Comment

My state is open carry as well -- with no license requirement. Honestly, I'm aware of almost no problems surrounding it. Very few people exercise the right.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                          My state is open carry as well -- with no license requirement. Honestly, I'm aware of almost no problems surrounding it. Very few people exercise the right.
                          Glad you chimed in! Also would like to hear from LJ.

Comment

Glad you chimed in! Also would like to hear from LJ.
                            The current bill would require a CHL to open carry. I don't have a problem with that. The same rules will apply, can't OC anyplace that CC is not allowed. If someone decides to OC, they would probably need to weigh the pro's and con's of whether they become the first target of the Bad guys...

However, if someone walks into a place with bad intentions and see's 10 people OC, maybe he decides to pass...

Honest question: Do you think your 2nd amendment rights should stop at your property line?
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

As an Australian, I find this US concern with going armed in public really strange. It looks a little to me like a retreat into the Wild West days. But hey, it's your right go ahead.

Comment