Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas to Consider Open Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The same argument can be used against having a justice system altogether.
    You can always set the convicted free. You can't always raise the executed from the dead.

Is there any evidence that being executed makes them less likely to repent and accept Christ? Knowing the day and hour of your death could influence you to think about your afterlife a lot more than you might have otherwise. Do you have some statistics to support that this is a genuine concern?

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_ro...offenders.html

I went through a bunch. The ones that had statements usually at least mentioned God in some way.
    No. I don't know of any statistics that support my genuine concern. Unless you're Christ, I'm not even sure how anyone could statistically analyze true repentance and a heartfelt commitment. An oral confession of Jesus as Lord does not always indicate a repentant heart. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Seems only logical, though, that the longer a person has to live, the better the chances of making a sincere commitment.
    Last edited by Adrift; 01-06-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      What are your thoughts about the wrongly accused receiving the death penalty? I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but that it happens at all seems like something that should be kept in mind.
      One big problem is our justice system is not focused on getting at the truth. It is focused on winning the verdict you want in a trial. Guilty or innocent is a weak second in what is sought in a trial. And somehow catching someone, maybe anyone, and convicting them gets the system kudos.
      Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Also, from an Evangelistic standpoint, an executed criminal can no longer repent and accept Christ. Shouldn't that play into the Christian's view on the death penalty?
      False convictions are a bad thing. I can only say as a Christian that I would rather be executed for something I did not do, than for something I did do.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        One big problem is our justice system is not focused on getting at the truth. It is focused on winning the verdict you want in a trial. Guilty or innocent is a weak second in what is sought in a trial. And somehow catching someone, maybe anyone, and convicting them gets the system kudos.
        I agree that's a problem.

False convictions are a bad thing. I can only say as a Christian that I would rather be executed for something I did not do, than for something I did do.
        I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
          Not really related.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You can always set the convicted free. You can't always raise the executed from the dead.
            Can you give the convict back his time? Can you even guarantee that everyone convicted wrongly will be freed? AFAIK the state isn't even required to compensate you unless there was an error in your due process even if you are wrongly convicted.

Seems only logical, though, that the longer a person has to live, the better the chances of making a sincere commitment.
            It's just as logical that the longer a person has to live, the better the chances of abandoning an existing commitment, even a flawed one.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Like it or not, Texas will have Open Carry on January 1, 2016.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment