Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Convicted sex offender and welfare fraud wins $3M Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convicted sex offender and welfare fraud wins $3M Lottery

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6306222.html

Timothy Dale Poole, a convicted sex offender, has won $3 million in the Florida lottery.

The 43-year-old was arrested in 1999 and accused of sexual battery on a 9-year-old. He eventually pled guilty to attempted sexual battery in a plea bargain and is currently listed as a sex predator in state records, ClickOrlando reports.
    The Sentinel said he's been arrested 12 times on charges that include grand theft and forging a check. The paper says he also served 3 months in prison in 1996.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...210-story.html
    In 2001, The Orange County Sheriff's Office arrested Poole on charges of sexual battery on a 9-year-old boy, records show. Before that, he was arrested in 1991 for stealing almost $20,000 in food stamps from Safeco Inc. of Ocala, where he worked as a guard.

Exhibit A for why the popular religious concept of karma in this life is invalid.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The system has just handed him with more rope with which to hang himself.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since he stole money from the government (food stamps) he should not get the money. And the rest should go to the families of his victims.

I smell a civil suit or two in his future.

Comment

I don't think food stamps is stealing for those who genuinely need them; those who are working multiple jobs and trying to get back up on their feet so they don't need them. But, yeah, this guy is an obvious fraudster.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

no he actually stole the food stamps from the grocery store where he was a guard. They guy sounds like a career criminal.

Comment

OH. Yeah. He doesn't need the money. I vote the government refund him the $1 he paid on the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                OH. Yeah. He doesn't need the money. I vote the government refund him the $1 he paid on the ticket.
                I vote we don't have the government commit fraud. Give him his money.
                Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM. Reason: ambiguity removed
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Cue the civil suit in 5... 4....3...2....
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    I vote we don't have the government commit fraud and give him his money.
                    How is that fraud? He paid for it.

Comment

How is that fraud? He paid for it.
                      It's fraud to steal a man's money, which he got fair and square (for once), because you don't think he should have it.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

It says he was ARRESTED for stealing the stamps. No conviction? If he was convicted, they'll dock his winnings?
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          It's fraud to steal a man's money, which he got fair and square (for once), because you don't think he should have it.
                          Oh. I misread your post. I thought you were calling for no payout, no refund.

Legally speaking, yes, there does not seem to be a way to avoid the payout in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            It says he was ARRESTED for stealing the stamps. No conviction? If he was convicted, they'll dock his winnings?
                            Judging by this guy's apparent record as a serial loser they probably got the stamps back before he could sell or spend them.

Comment

Oh. I misread your post. I thought you were calling for no payout, no refund.

Legally speaking, yes, there does not seem to be a way to avoid the payout in this case.
                              Not just legally, morally too.

Comment