Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Convicted sex offender and welfare fraud wins $3M Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Not just legally, morally too.
    Yes, I will concede that.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Lottery is a game of chance, people are surprised that bad guys win it too?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        I am just thinking that since he now has money, all of his victims will sue him in court.

Comment

Lottery is a special tax on people who are really bad at math. Occasionally, even bad guys get lucky.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Lottery is a special tax on people who are really bad at math. Occasionally, even bad guys get lucky.
            I tried to win the lottery once. Now I am depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Since he stole money from the government (food stamps) he should not get the money. And the rest should go to the families of his victims.

I smell a civil suit or two in his future.
              Even if he gets to keep every dime I'll bet he is flat broke inside ten years and possibly five.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't like lottery, and I don't trust what it says about the good its supposed to do. Its a game that rewards people for doing something very foolish, and its mostly played by those who have little hope of a real fortune. Does your government support it as well?

Comment

I was a strong supporter of legalizing the lottery here in Georgia. Since 1992 I have spent $13 or less on tickets. Just because I support a person's right to be foolish with their money does not mean that I'm going to do so.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

yeah our lotto has commercials that say "You can't win if you don't play!"

but you can't LOSE either.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Judging by this guy's apparent record as a serial loser they probably got the stamps back before he could sell or spend them.
                      Hm, that could be. Ok.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I don't like lottery, and I don't trust what it says about the good its supposed to do. Its a game that rewards people for doing something very foolish, and its mostly played by those who have little hope of a real fortune.
                        Well put. My statement was a mockery of the system.

Does your government support it as well?
                        My government? In Texas, there was a big campaign to legalize the Texas state lottery -- in my opinion, it was a pack of lies supported by special interests. It was sold on the notion that it would help "education" -- "do it for the children".

In my opinion, ANY lottery revenue that actually "goes to education" is offset by reductions in OTHER funding that is cut that WAS going to education.

I think the lottery is a way for rich people to get richer, SOME poor people to get temporarily rich, and hundreds of thousands of poor people to be given a false sense of hope, only to be stuck poor, buying lottery tickets with money that should be buying bread, milk, diapers...
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My government? In Texas, there was a big campaign to legalize the Texas state lottery -- in my opinion, it was a pack of lies supported by special interests. It was sold on the notion that it would help "education" -- "do it for the children".

In my opinion, ANY lottery revenue that actually "goes to education" is offset by reductions in OTHER funding that is cut that WAS going to education.

I think the lottery is a way for rich people to get richer, SOME poor people to get temporarily rich, and hundreds of thousands of poor people to be given a false sense of hope, only to be stuck poor, buying lottery tickets with money that should be buying bread, milk, diapers...
                          PREACH it, brother!!!!
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Not sure if there has been a reduction in spending for education as a result of the lottery but here in Georgia the money raised goes to the Hope Scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Not sure if there has been a reduction in spending for education as a result of the lottery but here in Georgia the money raised goes to the Hope Scholarship.
                              Does Georgia make their lottery finances public? How much they take in, now much is actually paid out in "winnings", how much goes to promotion, publicity, fat cat salaries, etc?

Comment

Does Georgia make their lottery finances public? How much they take in, now much is actually paid out in "winnings", how much goes to promotion, publicity, fat cat salaries, etc?
                                AFAICT yes.

Comment