Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The CIA Torture Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CIA Torture Report

I just realised that it has been made available online and declassified, now instead of second-guessing its contents, people can read it for themselves.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/249651730/CIA-Torture-Report

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I just realised that it has been made available online and declassified, now instead of second-guessing its contents, people can read it for themselves.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/249651730/CIA-Torture-Report
    And read the other side too:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cia-inte...ves-1418142644

http://ciasavedlives.com./
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Definitely will tomorrow, its getting late and my brain isn't functioning as well past 1pm. Sorry that things got heated in the other thread. :S

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Definitely will tomorrow, its getting late and my brain isn't functioning as well past 1pm. Sorry that things got heated in the other thread. :S
        No problem bro!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That WSJ article is weird. Specifically this paragraph:

Here’s an example of how the interrogation program actually worked to disrupt terrorist plotting. Without revealing to KSM that Hambali had been captured, we asked him who might take over in the event that Hambali was no longer around. KSM pointed to Hambali’s brother Rusman Gunawan. We then found Gunawan, and information from him resulted in the takedown of a 17-member Southeast Asian cell that Gunawan had recruited for a “second wave,” 9/11-style attack on the U.S. West Coast, in all likelihood using aircraft again to attack buildings. Had that attack occurred, the nightmare of 9/11 would have been repeated.
          This makes it seem they just asked them questions. What about this used "interrogation techniques"? What techniques were used, and how? Also, why is the author using a euphemism for torture? I find it hard to trust someone who cannot provide adequate evidence for their claim and can't call a spade a spade.

Comment

All you need to know is it's all Bush's fault.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              This makes it seem they just asked them questions. What about this used "interrogation techniques"? What techniques were used, and how? Also, why is the author using a euphemism for torture? I find it hard to trust someone who cannot provide adequate evidence for their claim and can't call a spade a spade.
              Well we do know that KSM was water-boarded a number of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                All you need to know is it's all Bush's fault.
                Most definitely Bush and Chaney must take responsibility for their leadership role in this mess. Under any modern code of morality, international law, and USA law these practices are reprehensible and crimes against humanity. The debate as to whether they were effective is a moot point in the higher standards of human conduct, though there is little or no evidence that they were effective.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-11-2014, 05:12 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Most definitely Bush and Chaney must take responsibility for their leadership role in this mess. Under any modern code of morality, international law, and USA law these practices are reprehensible and crimes against humanity. The debate as to whether they were effective is a mute point in the higher standards of human conduct, though there is little or no evidence that they were effective.
                  What need was there to release this one-sided report?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well we do know that KSM was water-boarded a number of times.
                    Was that it? For all we know, water-boarding is more effective at providing intelligence than other techniques or it is totally ineffective and some other method is more effective. How can we know for sure that water-boarding was the key component of their methods? Since the argument in the article is based on efficacy, we should look at his claims with a scientific eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Was that it? For all we know, water-boarding is more effective at providing intelligence than other techniques or it is totally ineffective and some other method is more effective. How can we know for sure that water-boarding was the key component of their methods? Since the argument in the article is based on efficacy, we should look at his claims with a scientific eye.
                      Well we don't know, though I have read reports that water-boarding was essential in some very important intelligence. But this is what I have been saying - remember after 9/11 we were all sure that another attack was coming. We did not know, we were in the dark, doing just about anything to prevent another attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        What need was there to release this one-sided report?
                        All involved regardless of the report the 'facts' that the torture took place for a number of years is well known and public knowledge. Actually the report did not reveal much Except for details. The Republican Senator McCain testified from a long personal knowledge and a personal history that torture is ineffective in intelligence gathering.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-11-2014, 05:10 PM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Moot, not mute.
                          Except, not accept.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Well we don't know, though I have read reports that water-boarding was essential in some very important intelligence. But this is what I have been saying - remember after 9/11 we were all sure that another attack was coming. We did not know, we were in the dark, doing just about anything to prevent another attack.
                            The thing is, this guy is asking us to take his word. Even if people believe that torture is not morally wrong, I would hope those same people don't believe we should just torture people, and if we happen to get intel, that's a nice bonus. At the very least, let's know if torture is going to work beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              All involved regardless of the report the 'facts' that the torture took place for a number of years is well known and public knowledge.
                              This horse has been beaten -- TORTURED -- to death, but the Democrats just gotta

Actually the report did not reveal much accept for details.
                              except

The Republican Senator McCain testified from a long personal knowledge and a personal history that torture is ineffective in intelligence gathering.
                              Yeah, we KNOW all that... but the ONE-SIDED "report" just revives the dead horse so he can be TORTURED again.

It's political jackassery at its worst.

Comment