Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Waterboard Feinstein!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    No it isn't - not if you can save innocent lives.
    If someone ever raped one of my daughters, I can assure you they would wish they had died as a child after I was done with them.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Former CIA senior officers are pushing back:

http://ciasavedlives.com/

The recently released Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (SSCI) Majority report on the CIA's Rendition, Detention, and Interrogation Program is marred by errors of facts and interpretation and is completely at odds with the reality that the leaders and officers of the Central Intelligence Agency lived through. It represents the single worst example of Congressional oversight in our many years of government service.

Astonishingly, the SSCI Majority staff interviewed no CIA officers responsible for establishing, implementing, or evaluating the program’s effectiveness. Let us repeat, no one at the CIA was interviewed.

Worse, the Committee selectively used documents to try to substantiate a point of view where ample and contrary evidence existed.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Just for being a stupid woman. I mean even John Kerry asked her not to release the report. They are putting our soldiers and other US citizens in more danger for nothing! Idiots...
        No, no. This is just chickens coming home to roost. When you decide to torture their guys you give them permission to torture your guys. That’s why it’s a bad idea. This report is not telling us something we did not know already. It is an essential act of repentance.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          No, no. This is just chickens coming home to roost. When you decide to torture their guys you give them permission to torture your guys. That’s why it’s a bad idea. This report is not telling us something we did not know already. It is an essential act of repentance.
          You think they need PERMISSION to torture our guys? What rock have you been for the past few decades?
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Don't they already torture our guys? and chop of their heads? and kidnap civilians?

Personally I don't think physical torture works all that well. They will tell you what you want to hear, or die holding it in because of a martyr complex.

Comment

Yeah like islamists wait for our permission before they torture our guys. Of all the anti-torture arguments this is probably the dumbest.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Don't they already torture our guys? and chop of their heads? and kidnap civilians?

Personally I don't think physical torture works all that well. They will tell you what you want to hear, or die holding it in because of a martyr complex.
                When I ask a guy "where is your HQ?", I want to hear where the HQ is, so it seems like it works out ok.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  When I ask a guy "where is your HQ?", I want to hear where the HQ is, so it seems like it works out ok.
                  tonguelooseners.jpg
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

derp.

You know what I mean, they will tell you anything to get you to stop. Then you have to go check it out, and it might or might not be true. You might be going into a trap. If it is not true you have to start over.

Unless you are Jack Bauer. He gets the real answer the first time around.

Comment

Yeah like islamists wait for our permission before they torture our guys. Of all the anti-torture arguments this is probably the dumbest.
                      But judging by FF's logic, since they tortured us first, and killed our civilians, that means they gave us permission to torture and kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        derp.

You know what I mean, they will tell you anything to get you to stop. Then you have to go check it out, and it might or might not be true. You might be going into a trap. If it is not true you have to start over.

Unless you are Jack Bauer. He gets the real answer the first time around.
                        Or Raymond Reddington.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

FF is not completely wrong - it's both short term and too narrowly focused to use tit for tat tactics. Diplomacy/International Relations are long term efforts with a whole lot of short term projects. Playing tit for tat makes the playing field a heck of a lot rougher over the long term.

That doesn't mean you never play rough - but you DON'T let the other guys dictate your game book, either. Only a weak nation or a stupid one has only one club in its bag - or lets the enemy chose which clubs to play with. Sometimes you do have to meet fire with fire - but it's also perfectly fair and often much smarter to meet fire with really big buckets of water.

It's nonsense and REALLY STUPID to divorce government from morality - and 'they did it first' doesn't cut it as an excuse for immoral government actions. Using force can be justified; torture, not so much, both from moral and practical grounds. Torture gets whatever the guy thinks will make it stop - and since humans all come with preconceived notions, it's always a possibility that the victim will play to those rather than the actual truth (especially if the truth is unlikely to be accepted). Is it morally wrong? Heck, yes - that ain't what Jesus meant by 'Do unto others..." and y'all darned well know it. You can make the 'necessary evil' case as justification and in some cases, you'll even be right - but not as a moral case nor as a best practice case. There are better ways to get information in the vast majority of cases.

That's not the same thing as holding the guy's hand and singing Kum Bah Yah - there's are many options on the table that don't mean playing stupid - lawful stupid, for those gamers in the group. You let the experts do their jobs - and you keep a tight rein because that's the price of democracy and freedom. Those things we are fighting for mean we don't get to become the things we hate.

Tit for tat thinking is for children. It has no place in the relations of nations. Tit for tat is NOT justice - mistaking on for the other is pure folly.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

No Exceptions
                            “Long ago, German philosopher Immanuel Kant wrote about the perennial human tendency to find exceptions to moral rules when the rules bind a bit too tightly on us: "Hence there arises a natural … disposition to argue against these strict laws of duty and to question their validity, or at least their purity and strictness, and, if possible, to make them more accordant with our wishes and inclinations, that is to say, to corrupt them at their very source, and to entirely destroy their worth."

It is past time for evangelical Christians to remind our government and our society of perennial moral values, which also happen to be international and domestic laws. As Christians, we care about moral values, and we vote on the basis of such values. We care deeply about human-rights violations around the world. Now it is time to raise our voice and say an unequivocal no to torture, a practice that has no place in our society and violates our most cherished moral convictions.”

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...ary/23.32.html
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              FF is not completely wrong - it's both short term and too narrowly focused to use tit for tat tactics. Diplomacy/International Relations are long term efforts with a whole lot of short term projects. Playing tit for tat makes the playing field a heck of a lot rougher over the long term.
                              No, FF is completely wrong and what you said isn't what FF said. In fact it's not something anyone here said so it's just a waste of words.

That doesn't mean you never play rough - but you DON'T let the other guys dictate your game book, either. Only a weak nation or a stupid one has only one club in its bag - or lets the enemy chose which clubs to play with. Sometimes you do have to meet fire with fire - but it's also perfectly fair and often much smarter to meet fire with really big buckets of water.
                              As is this. Nobody suggested we should torture because they torture, or that our entire interrogation policy should consist of nothing but torture.

It's nonsense and REALLY STUPID to divorce government from morality
                              I agree.

- and 'they did it first' doesn't cut it as an excuse for immoral government actions. Using force can be justified; torture, not so much, both from moral and practical grounds.
                              Feel free to inform God that torture cannot be morally justified:

Deuteronomy 25

1 If there be a controversy between men, and they come unto judgment, that the judges may judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked.

2 And it shall be, if the wicked man be worthy to be beaten, that the judge shall cause him to lie down, and to be beaten before his face, according to his fault, by a certain number.

3 Forty stripes he may give him, and not exceed: lest, if he should exceed, and beat him above these with many stripes, then thy brother should seem vile unto thee.

Also, torture IS force, so saying using force is justified but torture isn't sounds schizo. Nevermind that war itself is just large scale torture, where you punish the entire population of an enemy in an effort to make their lives miserable enough that they'll concede to your demands to make the violence stop. A lot of Christian moralists love twisting themselves into a pretzel to have it both ways: not allow your own innocent people to suffer at the hands of an enemy but also make the suffering you inflict palatable to their conscience, even when it drags out the conflict and causes more misery in the long run.

Torture gets whatever the guy thinks will make it stop - and since humans all come with preconceived notions, it's always a possibility that the victim will play to those rather than the actual truth (especially if the truth is unlikely to be accepted).
                              Sure, if the interrogator is retarded. But I'm willing to bet you'd give up your wallet pretty quickly if someone merely held the likely threat of physical violence on you, as would many prisoners. Also, torture doesn't have to even involve physical pain. The best torture is the kind that breaks an enemy's mind so prying secrets out of them becomes a lot easier. Like sleep deprivation.

Is it morally wrong? Heck, yes - that ain't what Jesus meant by 'Do unto others..." and y'all darned well know it.
                              There are several problems with this statement, and I'll enumerate them for your benefit:

1. Do unto others was a command given to average joes, not to a government entity. The state is to be a terror on the wicked, so it's inapplicable.
                              2. Not all commandments carry equal weight. I'd much rather explain why I tortured a guy to save some kids than explain why I didn't torture a guy and let a bunch of kids die on judgement day.
                              3. It presupposes that one necessarily believes they should not be tortured even when one is responsible for death and could stop it by cooperating. I don't.

You can make the 'necessary evil' case as justification and in some cases, you'll even be right - but not as a moral case nor as a best practice case. There are better ways to get information in the vast majority of cases.
                              I'm not making the necessary evil case, I'm making the case that it's not inherently evil at all.

That's not the same thing as holding the guy's hand and singing Kum Bah Yah - there's are many options on the table that don't mean playing stupid - lawful stupid, for those gamers in the group. You let the experts do their jobs - and you keep a tight rein because that's the price of democracy and freedom. Those things we are fighting for mean we don't get to become the things we hate.

Tit for tat thinking is for children. It has no place in the relations of nations. Tit for tat is NOT justice - mistaking on for the other is pure folly.
                              I agree, I much prefer nuke for tat.
                              Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Do you really think that's how it works? How naive.

Comment