Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Do Fat Girls Date Less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Fat girls probably date less for the same reasons as fat guys do.

Our culture is based on physical beauty and if you don't measure up to what the media/advertisers say is beautiful, then you are a loser.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Where's my million dollars?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Fat girls probably date less for the same reasons as fat guys do.

Our culture is based on physical beauty and if you don't measure up to what the media/advertisers say is beautiful, then you are a loser.

I'll take my million bucks for this study I have done in small bills, please.
        The answer seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?

Oh, wait, am I allowed to say that?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And what are the goals of the project?

The goals of the project are “to (1) determine whether obese adolescent girls experience a delay in the development of peer and intimate relationship skills compared to non-obese adolescent girls; (2) compare the characteristics of intimate relationships among obese and non-obese adolescent girls; (3) use longitudinal growth curve modeling to determine whether trajectories of romantic and sexual relationship characteristics differ between obese and non-obese adolescent girls over time; (4) determine how peer and intimate relationship skills affect trajectories of intimate relationships among obese and non-obese adolescent girls over time; and (5) compare the development of interpersonal skills and intimate relationship characteristics between obese and non-obese African American and White adolescent girls.”

It's overarching aim is to provide a framework for educational materials to reduce at risk sexual behaviour in teenage girls. I can definitely see how that's a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post

It's overarching aim is to provide a framework for educational materials to reduce at risk sexual behaviour in teenage girls. I can definitely see how that's a waste.
            Yes, because it is a waste of time and money. There is nothing here that a little common sense won't solve, if it can be solved.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Yes, because it is a waste of time and money. There is nothing here that a little common sense won't solve, if it can be solved.
              Would this be your approach with all educational materials, that no research should be done, and that 'common sense' should be the arbiter how to approach social problems through education?

Comment

Wait! Another thought! I suppose my gripe is that the OP is deliberately misleading in its cavalier approach to what the study was actually doing and all you other bozos simply jumped on board because it conformed to your prejudices. Personally, I think that's lying and lying stinks.

Comment

Wait! Another thought! I suppose my gripe is that the OP is deliberately misleading in its cavalier approach to what the study was actually doing and all you other bozos simply jumped on board because it conformed to your prejudices. Personally, I think that's lying and lying stinks.
                  I've read your post and don't see how the OP is misleading. We already know the answer to all those problems, and the solution: help them lose weight. There's no need for a study to determine these things.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Thank you P-Man! I just don't like Misogyny in any form. Subtle or not.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      I've read your post and don't see how the OP is misleading. We already know the answer to all those problems, and the solution: help them lose weight get over the cultural fixation with body type. There's no need for a study to determine these things.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Even if the stated goals are good it is a waste of money because it is being filtered through the NIH. They will waste most of the money and come up with results that any intelligent person could have done for no cost. Sorry.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

No! I only jumped on board because the Feds were involved. Common sense will trump the NIH almost always in a case like this.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            Thank you P-Man! I just don't like Misogyny in any form. Subtle or not.
                            It is now apparently misogynist to a) not be attracted to overweight women and/or b) notice that most people are not attracted to overweight women.

Comment

I don't have a problem with spending taxpayer money on this study. In the scientific world, making such broad assumptions is unwise. If one is going to develop public policy or recommend school curriculum that potentially affects millions of adolescent students, the policies should probably based on facts and not assumptions (however obvious it appears).

Now, if you want to argue they spent too much money in this particular instance, that's a different argument than saying they shouldn't have spent money on this at all.

With regard to how the answer appears 'obvious'... I'm not so sure that seer's opinion is inherently misogynistic. If he prefers thin women, and most of the other men he knows prefer thin women, then his conclusion is based on anecdotal evidence. If may not be scientifically accurate and it may not be politically correct (or polite), but that doesn't mean it's untrue.

And please don't think I'm picking on overweight women. I'm overweight myself.
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

The first thing I appraise when checking out a woman is her culture.

Comment