Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police - Serve and Protect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police - Serve and Protect

In the news and in many of these threads, I hear a lot of negative comments about police, treating them as if they were the SS or something. While there are a few bad cops out there, there are a heck of a lot more good cops, who are just like you and me, and they want to help their community and make it a safer place.

My brother is a Police Chief in a small town and on his facebook page he posted this poem, written by another officer that gives an inkling of what it is like to be a cop today.

==========
    I strap on my boots
    I tighten my vest
    I buckle on a 30 pound belt
    I put on my badge
    I say bye to my loved ones
    I walk out the door with hopes I値l come back
    I pray to God for protection
    I leave my own issues and stresses at the door
    I check into my squad car
    I patrol your neighborhood
    I place your security on my shoulders
    I go in when there痴 an intruder
    I stop fights
    I stop threats
    I stop burglaries and thefts
    I stop drug abuse
    I stop child abuse
    I stop rapes, murders, and other issues
    I知 your first line of defense
    I値l give my life to protect yours
    My safety is constantly in jeopardy
    I see only your worst of times
    I put on your stress
    But You yell at me
    You hate me
    You don稚 agree with me
    You call me a pig, a bully, crooked, trigger happy, no good, and useless
    You fight me
    You spit on me
    You try to kill me
    You teach your kids I知 a monster that値l take them away
    You judge my every move
    You question my decisions
    You complain about me
    And yet I don稚 get offended
    With my loved ones suffering my absence
    With my pay barely enough to get by
    I知 still here for you
    I値l be an ear for you
    I値l still fight for you
    I値l still stand for you
    With muscle knots on my back
    With sweaty palms
    With tears held back
    With cuts and bruises
    With my life on the line
    I値l still protect you
    I maintain the Peace
    I protect the Weak
    I serve the Needs
    I am a POLICE OFFICER

Written by Officer Ybarra
    ====================

Thank you to all of the police officers, present and former, who served and made our streets a safer place to live.

Yeah! Screwball to the bad cops that give the good ones a bad name.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      In the news and in many of these threads, I hear a lot of negative comments about police, treating them as if they were the SS or something. While there are a few bad cops out there, there are a heck of a lot more good cops, who are just like you and me, and they want to help their community and make it a safer place.

Written by Officer Ybarra
      ====================

Thank you to all of the police officers, present and former, who served and made our streets a safer place to live.
      Amen! If it wasn't for the thin blue line we would have chaos, anarchy and mob rule.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A few years ago, I was on my way to work and my car died at a major intersection. An officer came by and sat behind me for 45 minutes with his lights on. My mom showed up to give me a ride, and walked up to the officer. The officer winced, probably expecting to get yelled at... but then she thanked him, and he seemed surprised and relieved.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

My brother participates in "Shop with a Cop" where they go around and take a poor family out to buy Christmas presents. Most of his job is also just helping people (not a whole lot of crime in his little town)

He is basically Sheriff Andy from Mayberry. :-)

He used to work at another police department that had a lot more trouble (near an army base) and did a lot more arrests and chases and investigating murders. He likes his current job a lot better.

Comment

I saw a local police officer trying to fix someone's stalled car last week.

Comment

Sometimes(if they aren't busy) I'll say hi to cops and thank them for their service. Or just chit chat and ask questions. Too bad they can't have full body armor. Complete with decorative bat ears!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Sometimes(if they aren't busy) I'll say hi to cops and thank them for their service. Or just chit chat and ask questions. Too bad they can't have full body armor. Complete with decorative bat ears!
                A lot of them end up having to buy their own vests. Either their department can't afford them, or the ones provided are not adequate enough. And once they are hit, they have to be replaced.

Comment

A lot of them end up having to buy their own vests. Either their department can't afford them, or the ones provided are not adequate enough. And once they are hit, they have to be replaced.
                  Too bad some billionaires couldn't finance them. Even just for the PR!

Comment

There are far more bad cops than just a "few," however I would guess (and this is just a PURE guess based on faith and hope in humanity) that there are more good cops than bad cops and all the videos, reports and news coverage about brutal and corrupt police actions I've seen don't represent the norm and is just exceptionally highlighted because good cops don't get much attention. The problem is that the good cops generally (note the word "generally" which doesn't mean there is NEVER a time a bad cop isn't punished by those of his own company) let the bad cops continuing to do bad stuff in the name of protecting the "brotherhood." This is how the corruption spreads from cop to cop, from department to department.
                    Last edited by seanD; 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Amen! If it wasn't for the thin blue line we would have chaos, anarchy and mob rule.
                      In today's world that may be true. For most of the history of the US it was the Judeo/Christian morality that was the main protection. As that has faded police protection has, in my opinion, become more important.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        There are far more bad cops than just a "few," however I would guess (and this is just a PURE guess based on faith and hope in humanity) that there are more good cops than bad cops and all the videos, reports and news coverage about brutal and corrupt police actions I've seen don't represent the norm and is just exceptionally highlighted because good cops don't get much attention. The problem is that the good cops generally (note the word "generally" which doesn't mean there is NEVER a time a bad cop isn't punished by those of his own company) let the bad cops continuing to do bad stuff in the name of protecting the "brotherhood." This is how the corruption spreads from cop to cop, from department to department.
                        There are more than a few bad cops you are correct. There are a few in most areas, but counting the whole country those few do add up. That is a pure technicality however. Clearly the media attention is almost exclusively focused on the more "newsworthy" stuff. Human interest is examined only when there is nothing "better" to cover. I do believe that good cops far outnumber bad cops.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Texas DPS officers keep Teddy Bears in the trunks of their patrol vehicles. If they have to arrest a mommy or daddy, or they encounter a child in an automobile accident, or for whatever reason, they give the Teddy Bear to the Child and make an effort to be kind and understanding.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I saw a local police officer trying to fix someone's stalled car last week.
                            I may have shared this elsewhere.

I stopped late at night behind a car with a flat tire. A woman was trying to change the tire, and having a tough time. As I approached the vehicle, I noticed a man sitting the driver's seat and walked up and ordered him to get out. As he was trying to tell me something, I was less than patient and ordered him AGAIN to get out of the car, and I grabbed the door handle and opened the door, where I could clearly see he had no legs.

OOOOOPS!

He was driving a vehicle with hand operated controls, and was a double amputee Vietnam Vet.

I apologized profusely, helped the lady get the tire off, only to find out their spare was flat, too.... I took her spare tire (the one I took off was too mangled to fix) and took it to a gas station for them to fix it, then came back and put the tire on. I couldn't apologize enough.

A couple days later, I got called into the station from being on patrol, and there was the woman standing with the dispatcher and the Chief. I just KNEW I was in deep doo-doo. She had bragged to the Chief about how kind I was, and was there to invite me to eat Thanksgiving Dinner with their family. I did.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I know there are plenty of good and nice policemen. And I've run into corrupt and bad policemen. The good do outweigh the bad, and I prefer the bad have nothing to do with protection.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment