Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kayley Whalen, Trans Murders and Erika Keels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayley Whalen, Trans Murders and Erika Keels

I am listening to Kayley Whalen speaking recently at Skepticon 7 on the subject of transgender murders. I am shocked to hear about the case of Erika Keels (a trans-gender prostitute) murdered in 2007. Why was it ever tolerable that there are people in society that are so contemptible that they do not deserve justice? Why would you tolerate a police force that decides who will and will not receive justice?

“Erika Keels, a 20-year-old black transwoman, was murdered on March 22, 2007, at the corner of Broad and Thompson in North Philadelphia, in a hit-and-run assault. Witnesses saw a man eject Ms. Keels from his car and intentionally run her over four times, killing her and leaving the scene. The medical examiner’s report states that Erika was run over not just once but multiple times, supporting these eyewitness accounts. The driver, Roland Button, was later apprehended, but has yet to face any charges; indeed, he is still driving, his license has not been suspended, and his car has not even been taken for evidence. The Philadelphia police have refused to conduct an investigation of Erika’s death and have closed the case.”

http://kenyonfarrow.com/2007/06/26/j...r-erika-keels/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moaWq75As7k

These might be “sweep it under the carpet” issues for many people here but I think there is a problem if a society is bound only by a thin veneer of politeness and social conventions. If the core is rotten – not Erika Keels, the bigotry that says it’s okay for the police to act that way – you have to examine it thoughtfully and not just paper over the cracks with more good manners and pious language.

Some progress is being made:
    http://philadelphianeighborhoods.com...ans-community/

“With the introduction of the Philadelphia Police Department’s Directive 152 in December and the gradual implementation of it, the plan was to alleviate that mistrust and prevent the officers from directly or indirectly causing offense and frustration in the transgender community.”
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I am listening to Kayley Whalen speaking recently at Skepticon 7 on the subject of transgender murders. I am shocked to hear about the case of Erika Keels (a trans-gender prostitute) murdered in 2007. Why was it ever tolerable that there are people in society that are so contemptible that they do not deserve justice? Why would you tolerate a police force that decides who will and will not receive justice?

“Erika Keels, a 20-year-old black transwoman, was murdered on March 22, 2007, at the corner of Broad and Thompson in North Philadelphia, in a hit-and-run assault. Witnesses saw a man eject Ms. Keels from his car and intentionally run her over four times, killing her and leaving the scene. The medical examiner’s report states that Erika was run over not just once but multiple times, supporting these eyewitness accounts. The driver, Roland Button, was later apprehended, but has yet to face any charges; indeed, he is still driving, his license has not been suspended, and his car has not even been taken for evidence. The Philadelphia police have refused to conduct an investigation of Erika’s death and have closed the case.”

These might be “sweep it under the carpet” issues for many people here but I think there is a problem if a society is bound only by a thin veneer of politeness and social conventions. If the core is rotten – not Erika Keels, the bigotry that says it’s okay for the police to act that way – you have to examine it thoughtfully and not just paper over the cracks with more good manners and pious language.

“With the introduction of the Philadelphia Police Department’s Directive 152 in December and the gradual implementation of it, the plan was to alleviate that mistrust and prevent the officers from directly or indirectly causing offense and frustration in the transgender community.”
    Murder is murder, I have no idea why this is not treated like any other murder. It should be. Gender or race should not be a consideration - a human being is dead.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Murder is murder, I have no idea why this is not treated like any other murder. It should be. Gender or race should not be a consideration - a human being is dead.
      Yes, I agree.

Comment

This is only one more sad tragic failure of law enforcement in the USA.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Nonsense, every culture has it problems.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
            Yes, I agree.
            Having some personal experience in this area years ago it may not have anything to do with Kayley Whalen being transgendered, but because he/she was prostitute. Cops often don't follow up on crimes against prostitutes. Seeing that they are putting themselves in dangerous situations.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Nonsense, every culture has it problems.
              Then it is accurate to say that this is a sad tragic failure of law enforcement in the USA, since the USA's culture is presumably included in the phrase "every culture."
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Yeah, let's outlaw cops!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do you have an actual news source for this, other than a blog and a GLBTQIA Advocacy group?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                    Then it is accurate to say that this is a sad tragic failure of law enforcement in the USA, since the USA's culture is presumably included in the phrase "every culture."
                    Yes, every human endeavor is flawed because we are flawed. Perfection is not attainable. And I already agreed that this was a failure of law enforcement. I just don't believe it has anything to do with the person being transgendered.
                    Last edited by seer; 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

So far, the only place I can find any reference to this is on gay/lesbian websites and blogs, butch-femme, feministe, and skepticon, an atheist / secularist organization. Several of the "source" hyperlinks I have clicked in these accounts go to 404 error pages.

For now, I'm "skepticon" that this ever happened, given the rolling stone story.

Oh, I DID find a "rape and ravage" book where "Erika Keels" was listed with some other "unsolved murders in Houston".

Comment

There's a gay/lesbian "remember" site reports that...

Erika Keels, a 21-year-old transgendered prostitute, was killed on North Broad Street early in the morning on March 21. But, depending upon which account of her death one believes, she was either accidentally struck by an elderly driver who wasn't wearing his prescription glasses, or repeatedly run over by a crazed John.
                        Police report that Keels was standing in the street, close to the curb near the Thompson Street intersection and that she was struck at 5:04 a.m. by a late-model Lincoln Town Car driven by Roland Bottom, 70, of Germantown, who was on his way to work. Keels traveled 65 feet through the air, smashed through the rear windshield of another car and then finally landed unconscious next to a fire hydrant in front of McJay's Food Market.

Comment

To state the obvious: Murder is wrong and should be investigated. I think everybody can agree with that.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Do you have an actual news source for this, other than a blog and a GLBTQIA Advocacy group?
                            Good lord, the acronym continues to grow, huh?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Good lord, the acronym continues to grow, huh?
                              I'm surprised it doesn't have the Man Boy Love Association in it!

Comment