Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Good things happen too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good things happen too

We seem to spend a lot of time in this forum picking something from the news and use it to demonstrate our particular version of 'the world is going to hell in a handbasket' closely followed by 'and it's all YOUR fault!'

I'd like to start a thread where we each point to something positive in the world, something that shows humanity CAN rise to the occasion.

Seer, I especially invite you to join this thread as a bit of a counterpoint and therapy.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/resto...atching-video/

People going above and beyond to rescue fellow creatures. Kindness is a good thing!

or this

One human being to another.

or this

A grassroots organisation that saves lives.

or this

A good cop story.

The world is not changed by whining and complaining, the world is changed when people of good heart do what they naturally do.

I didn't look at your links, so maybe one of them covers this, but there were, indeed, Ferguson residents standing up to the looters, defending (or at least attempting to do so) the storefronts, and trying to calm things down.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I didn't look at your links, so maybe one of them covers this, but there were, indeed, Ferguson residents standing up to the looters, defending (or at least attempting to do so) the storefronts, and trying to calm things down.
      If you look at my links, you'll cry ... but in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
        If you look at my links, you'll cry ... but in a good way.
        I'll try to do that... multi-tasking doing some other stuff right now.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did look at your links. I did not cry, but there were some good things there. Just as this sort of thing does not get big coverage in the media, it does not get big coverage in our discussions. Hey, it is hard to fight about this kind of stuff, so where is the fun?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'd like to start a thread where we each point to something positive in the world, something that shows humanity CAN rise to the occasion.
            Tweb Upworthy? Sounds great! Should I start with the continuing saga of the Oathkeepers helping to restore order in Ferguson among law-abiding communities, or should I get over my American-centric worldview and dedicate some time to the good work done by Golden Dawn and Generation Identitaire overseas? Nigel Farage's UKIP party also seems to be making gains and laughing easy these days.

Rest assured, there's all sorts of good things happening for me in particular to be very happy about. Most of them are about people forming effective communities and discovering and voicing truths that they wouldn't have dared speak so much as a year ago. When first comes the repentance, the restoration and revival is never far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
              Tweb Upworthy? Sounds great! Should I start with the continuing saga of the Oathkeepers helping to restore order in Ferguson among law-abiding communities, or should I get over my American-centric worldview and dedicate some time to the good work done by Golden Dawn and Generation Identitaire overseas? Nigel Farage's UKIP party also seems to be making gains and laughing easy these days.

Rest assured, there's all sorts of good things happening for me in particular to be very happy about. Most of them are about people forming effective communities and discovering and voicing truths that they wouldn't have dared speak so much as a year ago. When first comes the repentance, the restoration and revival is never far behind.
              Oath Keepers? Aren't they labelled a domestic terrorist group by the feds? Is that a dilemma for you?

Comment

Perhaps it might be better if you focussed less on what makes you happy, and more about genuine acts of kindness and compassion that go on every day.

Comment

What I am grateful for? What do I find positive? This song expresses it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMkj4_H8WM

For the beauty of the earth,
                  For the beauty of the skies,
                  For the love which from our birth
                  Over and around us lies,
                  Lord of all, to thee we raise
                  This our grateful hymn of praise.

For the beauty of each hour
                  Of the day and of the night,
                  Hill and vale, and tree and flower,
                  Sun and moon and stars of light,

For the joy of human love,
                  Brother, sister, parent, child,
                  Friends on earth, and friends above,
                  Pleasures pure and undefiled,

For each perfect gift of thine,
                  To our race so freely given,
                  Graces human and divine,
                  Flowers of earth and buds of heaven,
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                    Perhaps it might be better if you focussed less on what makes you happy, and more about genuine acts of kindness and compassion that go on every day.
                    Are you telling me that people collectively re-creating communities once marginalized is motivated by neither kindness nor compassion?

2-4-racism-v1.jpg

This sort of thing goes on in every conservative volunteer organization, from the Tea Party to the Oathkeepers. The big difference between you and them is that they generally don't make a habit of turning their kind actions and extraordinary acts of compassion into viral videos for all to see, as such things are easily used as embarrassments or distractions, and may take away from their actual mission:

First comes the "Daaaaawwww" headline:

5df8bc4dc9e14e0abbbd2b99c1fff2f2-5df8bc4dc9e14e0abbbd2b99c1fff2f2-0.jpg

Then comes the recriminations:

It turns out that Sgt. Barnum clicked “like” on a Facebook post that showed a Portland Police badge emblazoned with the words “I am Darren Wilson.” The Portland Mercury wrote that Officer Strom is among several in the department who changed their Facebook profile pictures to Portland Police badges wrapped in “I am Darren Wilson” bracelets. Portland Police Chief Mike Reese ordered the officers to change the profile pictures. Since the officers used their badges, Chief Reese said, it trumped the officers’ right to free speech during their time off the job.

Before Officer Strom took his picture down, Sgt. Barnum was one of 31 people who “liked” the photo. He told the AP that he “liked” the image out of solidarity for the police profession, not because he supports Wilson.

In an interview with CNN, Sgt. Barnum said: “I just hope that those folks who are creating the chaos and doing the damage to their communities realize that they’re setting everything back. All the hard work that police officers and community members are doing, trying to come together and build those relationships—it’s the silent, smaller entity that is really detracting from the larger picture and the change that folks want.”

Writer Yesha Callahan questioned Sgt. Barnum’s sincerity in a piece today on The Root. “You have to wonder if this is just an act for Barnum and a way to gain notoriety. Because liking a profile photo that states ‘I am Darren Wilson’ seems to contradict his views on police officers and their relationship building with black people. Especially when you choose also to side with a police officer who killed a black man and those who support that officer,” Callahan wrote.

The cop who was heralded for reaching across the protest line to embrace a distraught young man is now having his motives challenged for clicking “like” on a Facebook page of a colleague standing up for another colleague he may have never met. One writer, Jonathon Jones, went so far as to call the photo a “blatant lie.”

“Liking this picture as a definitive image of America’s race crisis is the equivalent of locking yourself in and turning up the volume to weep at Frozen while the streets are burning outside. Which is exactly what white Americans apparently want to do,” wrote Jones in The Guardian.

A picture may be worth a thousand words. Those words, however, are up for interpretation.
                    Good things happen too, but if you have no inclination to finish this war, they'll be seen as a distraction at best and a diversion at worst. Repent and completely disavow the ongoing rebellion against good order and discipline, and let your actions and postings reflect this repentance, and I may be inclined to listen, rather than dismiss you entirely.

Comment

Source: Hesitations 26:40

And he cometh unto the twebbers, and findeth them posting, and saith unto Epo, What, could ye not rejoice with me one post?

© Copyright Original Source

I love the book of Hesitations!

I'm happy that we had our FINAL GRADUATE from our Jobs for Life program this morning - making ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of those who started ended up finishing strong!

Comment

Are you telling me that people collectively re-creating communities once marginalized is motivated by neither kindness nor compassion?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3027[/ATTACH]

This sort of thing goes on in every conservative volunteer organization, from the Tea Party to the Oathkeepers. The big difference between you and them is that they generally don't make a habit of turning their kind actions and extraordinary acts of compassion into viral videos for all to see, as such things are easily used as embarrassments or distractions, and may take away from their actual mission:

First comes the "Daaaaawwww" headline:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3028[/ATTACH]

Then comes the recriminations:

Good things happen too, but if you have no inclination to finish this war, they'll be seen as a distraction at best and a diversion at worst. Repent and completely disavow the ongoing rebellion against good order and discipline, and let your actions and postings reflect this repentance, and I may be inclined to listen, rather than dismiss you entirely.
                        I'd really like to let you stay posting in this thread. Please come down off your hobby horse and share something good happening in the world that we can all share instead of trying to further your agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          What I am grateful for? What do I find positive? This song expresses it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMkj4_H8WM

For the beauty of the earth,
                          For the beauty of the skies,
                          For the love which from our birth
                          Over and around us lies,

For the beauty of each hour
                          Of the day and of the night,
                          Hill and vale, and tree and flower,
                          Sun and moon and stars of light,

For the joy of human love,
                          Brother, sister, parent, child,
                          Friends on earth, and friends above,
                          Pleasures pure and undefiled,

For each perfect gift of thine,
                          To our race so freely given,
                          Graces human and divine,
                          Flowers of earth and buds of heaven,
                          TY Seer. That's very beautiful. How about some good stuff people do for each other?

Comment

An Italian restaurant chain here in America called Olive Garden allowed customers to purchase "unlimited pasta" passes. One man bought one and used his unlimited pasta to feed the hungry and homeless.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/man-olive-...ry?id=27287818
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

This happened a little over 2 years ago and i did post about it the old before crash Tweb. but I think it deserves to be shown again. most people think that gamers are just geeks who need to get a life but my heart is still full of what my fellow players of Everquest2 did to make a child's last months joyful.

from that week this was not just one guild but the whole community from all servers even the European servers some folks rolled characters on Guk Ribbits families home server(and mine) others paid to transfer there characters over and then back to help out. as reported here. page with some more links describing or picturing the event sorry that some of the links don't work but you will get the idea of what happened that magical week in 2012.

Comment