Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Labor Participation Rate on the Skids....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Participation Rate on the Skids....

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

labor.gif
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

This is why the current official unemployment numbers being trotted out every month are meaningless. Of course your unemployment rate will go down when you have record numbers of people dropping completely out of the labor market.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Try telling that to the Scott Messianics in this state.

In months when the unemployment rate here went DOWN, he said it was because he'd created more jobs.

But in months when the unemployment rate went UP, he said it was because more people were getting back into the workforce.

Comment

When President Reagan's economic engine started kicking into gear, unemployment suddenly spiked, but that's only because optimistic workers flooded back into the labor market looking for employment, so the rise in unemployment was offset by a rising labor participation rate. As time went on, the unemployment dropped while labor participation remained high. So there is some logic to the claim that unemployment goes up when more people enter the work force but have yet to find employment.

Of course I'm not saying that's necessarily the case in Florida.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          When President Reagan's economic engine started kicking into gear, unemployment suddenly spiked, but that's only because optimistic workers flooded back into the labor market looking for employment, so the rise in unemployment was offset by a rising labor participation rate. As time went on, the unemployment dropped while labor participation remained high. So there is some logic to the claim that unemployment goes up when more people enter the work force but have yet to find employment.

Of course I'm not saying that's necessarily the case in Florida.
          It probably was. Where the issue lies is what happened when the rate went down. Scott was directly asked if that had anything to do with the labor force statistics, as opposed to his alleged efforts at job creation, and he refused to answer.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...le1942820.html

Of course that's nowhere near as hilarious as his denial of his earlier promise to create 1.7 million jobs here as opposed to 700K.

Still can't believe we re-elected this lizard.

Comment

Who cares. We're in a rocovery, haven't you heard? Gas prices are low, everyone's got a low wage part time job now and the stock market is shooting to the moon (because all the corporations are using the federal reserve printed billions to buy back their stocks).

Comment

Hmmm, what's a roccovery? Like a baroque boom?
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

It's a recovery that's so solid, it's a rocovery

Comment

Edwin S. Rubenstein has a better grasp of the elephant in the room:

The labor force participation rate—a sign of worker confidence—rose 0.3 points for foreign-born workers and declined 0.2 points for Americans. At 66.3%, the immigrant LPR is significantly above the American LPR (62.1%).
                  Unemployment rates fell for both immigrants and native born Americans; at 5.4%, the immigrant unemployment rate remains slightly below that of native-born Americans (5.6%)
                  The number of working age immigrants rose by 880,000, up by 2.3%. By comparison, the native-born American working-age population rose by just 0.7%.

What really catches our eye is the extraordinary differential between foreign-born and native-born population growth. Since last November the foreign-born population of working age grew by 1.29 million, or by 3.3%, according to the BLS, while the comparable native-born population rose by 987,000 – a gain of just 0.5%.

Two points are worth making. First, should these growth rates persist, the foreign-born population of working-age will double in about 22 years. It will take a whopping 144 years for the native-born population to match that. By then, of course, immigrants will dominate the U.S. workforce.

Secondly, the increase in the foreign-born working-age population over the past year (1.29 million) exceeds the number of legal immigrants admitted annually, which has been running at about 1 million. Obvious implication: A strong U.S. job market is drawing illegals into country. Contra President Obama, the news is not a “very welcome sign for millions of Americans”, but a “very welcome sign” for millions of immigrant workers, many of them illegal.

If history is any guide, President Obama’s administrative order of amnesty will widen the gap between foreign-born and American-born population growth.
                  I expect roughly the same national trends to hold in Florida, since grinding down the wages of the poor and middle class by importing a huge foreign population to compete with them doesn't affect Scott personally.

Comment