Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ashton Carter New SecDef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashton Carter New SecDef?

It looks like Ashton Carter, a theoretical physicist, may be the next Secretary of Defense.

He seems to be getting a "thumbs up" from both parties....

Source: WashingtonPost

President Obama will nominate Ashton B. Carter, a physicist with long experience at the Pentagon, as his new secretary of defense, according to current and former U.S. officials familiar with the decision.

If confirmed by the Senate, Carter would succeed Chuck Hagel, the former Nebraska senator who is being pushed aside by the White House after less than two years in the job. Hagel, a Republican, fell out of favor with Obama and the president’s inner circle as the U.S. military became embroiled in a new war in the Middle East, a challenge that is expected to preoccupy the Obama administration for the remainder of its term.

Although Carter has more experience as a technocrat than as a wartime leader, his extensive national security credentials and the support for his nomination in Congress made him an appealing choice.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest declined Tuesday to confirm that Carter was the president’s selection but praised him liberally. He said that Carter had “served the president and the American people well” at the Pentagon.

“He is somebody who deserves and has demonstrated strong bipartisan support for his previous service in government,” Earnest said. “He has a detailed understanding of the way the Department of Defense works.”

“Great, very highly qualified,” said Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who will replace Levin as chairman next month, called Carter a “noncontroversial” choice. Both senators said they had yet to receive formal notification from the White House of Carter’s selection.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm not sure what theoretical physics has to do with the Department of Defense, though it's nice that the nominee seems to have a good chance of getting accepted.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think they mean 'physicist' more in terms of ballistics than laboratory experience, sounds like an okay choice, but may be bad for the types of wars the US is currently facing and likely to face.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        I think they mean 'physicist' more in terms of ballistics than laboratory experience, sounds like an okay choice, but may be bad for the types of wars the US is currently facing and likely to face.
        Considering our current Commander in Chief, I'll take 'okay' as the odds of him appointing someone better than okay are towards the 'none' side of "between slim and none."
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I'm not sure what theoretical physics has to do with the Department of Defense,
          Maybe it's a way of making him sound smart or important. It seemed to be a big talking point.

though it's nice that the nominee seems to have a good chance of getting accepted.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I liked his nomination acceptance speech -- particularly the part where he turned to Obama and made it clear that he was going to give candid advice.

"I pledge to you my most candid, strategic advice, and I pledge to you, you will receive equally candid military advice,"

Comment