Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

From Soap Opera to Ambassador?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Soap Opera to Ambassador?

We all know that Ambassadorships are rewarded as political favors -- I don't think anybody would dispute that.

But even CNN has a problem swallowing THIS one!

She wasn't even prepared to be QUESTIONED about Hungary!

Source: CNN

White House stumbles explaining soap opera producer as ambassador

It's not every day that White House has to defend its decision to nominate a soap opera producer to represent the country on one of the highest diplomatic levels.

But it was that kind of Tuesday.

Asked at the daily press briefing what makes "The Bold and The Beautiful" producer Colleen Bell qualified to serve as U.S. Ambassador to Hungary, White House spokesman Josh Earnest didn't exactly have an explanation.

"(She's) somebody who obviously has succeeded in, you know, in the business world," Earnest said.

"And she is somebody that the President has confidence will be able to maintain our relationship with the government and the people of Hungary."

Earnest also denied that Bell's hand in raising millions of dollars for the President's re-election campaign had anything to do with her appointment.

"Well, I can tell you that that's not the reason she was chosen," he said.

© Copyright Original Source

Mahybe Josh should have just been honest and said, "yeah, it's a political appointment, so what?"

ETA: Was she the producer of "As the World Burns" or "As the Stomach Turns"?
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Makes sense to me. Obama's administration is obviously a soap opera, and she probably produced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Makes sense to me. Obama's administration is obviously a soap opera, and she probably produced it.
      She's pretty!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He should have made her Ambassador to Mexico though, since they are big on telenovelas. She would have fit right in there.

Comment

He should have made her Ambassador to Mexico though, since they are big on telenovelas. She would have fit right in there.
          Does she speak any foreign languages? (Ordering tacos doesn't count)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Does she speak any foreign languages? (Ordering tacos doesn't count)
            She has assistants for that.

Comment

Obama missed an opportunity on this one. He could have spun it as a jobs plan...
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He had producers alright but not like her. A very different sort of producers. I might use the term handlers. (told you I was an extremist)
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  He had producers alright but not like her. A very different sort of producers. I might use the term handlers. (told you I was an extremist)
                  Like Nancy Pelosi?

Comment

Like Nancy Pelosi?
                    Valerie Jarrett -- she is his creator and puppet master.

Comment

Melodrama over comparatively minor events is the very soul of day-to-day diplomatic activity, but you should probably actually speak the Hungarian before you start writing your script about the aid package delayed due to 15-year amnesia.

Comment