Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Part 1 offenses go down when Part II arrests go up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 1 offenses go down when Part II arrests go up

First of all, "Part 1" crimes refer to the first part of the Uniform Crime Reports maintained by the FBI.
    Local jurisdictions fill out a "uniform crime report", classifying offenses in a uniform manner, so the statistics make more sense.

"Part 1" crimes would be the more serious or violent crimes such as murder, rape, armed robbery, aggravated offenses, etc. Here is a "Cliff's Notes" on Part 1 Offenses.

"Part II" Crimes are "less serious" offenses and include: Simple Assaults, Forgery/Counterfeiting, Embezzlement/Fraud, Receiving Stolen Property, Weapon Violations, Prostitution, Sex Crimes, Crimes Against Family/Child, Narcotic Drug Laws, Liquor Laws, Drunkenness, Disturbing the Peace, Disorderly Conduct, Gambling, DUI and Moving Traffic Violations.

It's a known fact among Law Enforcement that as Part II arrests go up, Part 1 offenses go down.

For example, late at night a "Part II" offense - driving with a license plate light that's not working - could yield to a huge drug bust, as the officer might smell marijuana, which would give him probable cause to search the vehicle, yielding a cache of drugs, and often, where there are illegal drugs, there are illegal guns.

Further, just by happenstance, the "Part II" stop may yield a person going to or coming from the commission of a Part I Crime.

It is thought that the DECREASE in violent (or Part I) crime in the US is at least in part due to Police Departments more effectively managing Part II offenses, including traffic stops.

I'm seeing in other threads in Civics a desire by some to severely limit the management of Part II Crimes by police departments, which may have the unintended consequence of Part I Crimes increasing, or not decreasing as much.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Interesting....

I'm curious, do you personally buy the broken window theory?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Interesting....

I'm curious, do you personally buy the broken window theory?
      Summarize it as you understand it, please, because I've heard various versions.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Summarize it as you understand it, please, because I've heard various versions.
        I understand it as if things like vandalism get ignored, people start thinking that nobody takes crime seriously and more serious crime goes up.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I understand it as if things like vandalism get ignored, people start thinking that nobody takes crime seriously and more serious crime goes up.
          That's how I understand it, too, and, yes... I have seen that.

ON THE OTHER hand, I remember we had a community park that was taken over by the drug dealers, and became pretty much a cesspool. Some of the local Churches, however, decided to have "midnight mass" there on weekends during some of the peak periods of criminal activity. They showed up with HUNDREDS of "worshipers" who would, among other things, take pictures of each other where "the bad guys" would just happen to be in the background.

It actually worked -- the bad guys vacated, the citizens cleaned up the park, and it was returned to community service!

Comment

Two words: Dee Troit

Comment

Two words: Dee Troit
              I've done some looking around Detroit on Google Maps street view. Very sad...

Comment

I've done some looking around Detroit on Google Maps street view. Very sad...
                It really is... and there have been some communities in Houston that were headed in that direction, and local clergy and civic leaders stepped up and began a "bulldoze the crack houses" and "rebuild the people houses" campaign, and literally reclaimed their neighborhoods. It CAN be done, but like anything else, systems left alone tend to deteriorate, not regenerate.

I was part of a volunteer crew that worked in the Fourth Ward in Houston "fighting back the jungle" to help a neighborhood reclaim their turf, and it was exciting to see the joy in the local homeowners who had just sunken into despair.

Comment

It really is... and there have been some communities in Houston that were headed in that direction, and local clergy and civic leaders stepped up and began a "bulldoze the crack houses" and "rebuild the people houses" campaign, and literally reclaimed their neighborhoods. It CAN be done, but like anything else, systems left alone tend to deteriorate, not regenerate.

I was part of a volunteer crew that worked in the Fourth Ward in Houston "fighting back the jungle" to help a neighborhood reclaim their turf, and it was exciting to see the joy in the local homeowners who had just sunken into despair.
                  There's a folk artist in Detroit who painted the abandoned houses and strewn garbage in his neighborhood with polka dots, and stripes, and all kinds of interesting designs. It attracted so much attention from outsiders, that crime dropped in the neighborhood because the criminal element didn't like the exposure. I drove through the neighborhood with some friends who lived near there, and it was pretty awesome.

I'm reminded of verses like John 3:20 (For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.) , and Ephesians 5:13 (But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.)

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    There's a folk artist in Detroit who painted the abandoned houses and strewn garbage in his neighborhood with polka dots, and stripes, and all kinds of interesting designs. It attracted so much attention from outsiders, that crime dropped in the neighborhood because the criminal element didn't like the exposure. I drove through the neighborhood with some friends who lived near there, and it was pretty awesome.

I'm reminded of verses like John 3:20 (For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.) , and Ephesians 5:13 (But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.)
                    Exactly! Too many times, people in positions of leadership spend far too much time pointing blame, and not enough time inspiring and leading. I honestly believe that's what's wrong in so many of our "depressed" neighborhoods.

Comment

There's a folk artist in Detroit who painted the abandoned houses ...

This?

Comment

Yep, that'd be it!

Comment

Oh, speaking of urban decay in Detroit, I saw these pictures last night that show Google and Bing street views of some of the neighborhoods just crumbling apart over the last few years. Pretty sad stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/JO6hn

Comment

Yep, that'd be it!
                            Unfortunately, there are some poopieheads that don't like this "resurgence", and are fighting it....

Comment

Oh, speaking of urban decay in Detroit, I saw these pictures last night that show Google and Bing street views of some of the neighborhoods just crumbling apart over the last few years. Pretty sad stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/JO6hn
                              Classic "broken window" scenario..... one house deteriorates, brings down the value of homes around it, people lose hope.... "there goes the neighborhood".

Comment